GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Dec 2018, 17:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.

Please help with analyzing my Verbal ESR

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge
Please help with analyzing my Verbal ESR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 14:17
My verbal performance wasn't as great as I hoped.
Please help me interpret my ESR so I can build a study plan.

It seems like I was doing well for the 3/4 of the section, and I really bombed the last section.

During the last section I realized I was going too fast.
I thought to myself I can't be doing it right if I have too much time left and I started to slow down.
I think I was doubting myself and second guessing choices I made...

I want to know your expert opinion.

Is my interpretation of the events right?
If so, should I study verbal from ground up to rebuild my foundation
or just focus on time management and calming my nerves.
Attachments

My ESR_001.jpg
My ESR_001.jpg [ 113.92 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]

My ESR_003.jpg
My ESR_003.jpg [ 114.64 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]

My ESR_004.jpg
My ESR_004.jpg [ 78.29 KiB | Viewed 249 times ]

My ESR_005.jpg
My ESR_005.jpg [ 98.75 KiB | Viewed 251 times ]

My ESR_007.jpg
My ESR_007.jpg [ 128.43 KiB | Viewed 249 times ]

My ESR_008.jpg
My ESR_008.jpg [ 105.09 KiB | Viewed 249 times ]

My ESR_009.jpg
My ESR_009.jpg [ 123.57 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]

e-GMAT Representative
G
Re: Please help with analyzing my Verbal ESR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 06:01
Hi completing,

I am sorry to hear that your Verbal score was not in line with your expectations. Please find below my observations and recommendations based on your ESR:
    - I would not agree that it was just the last section that brought your result lower than your expectation. Your accuracy in the second and third sections is lower than 4th. However, it is also important to note that the difficulty level of questions you got incorrect in section 2 and 4 is lower than the difficulty level of questions you got correct in section 3. One of the reasons for this could be that questions in section 2 and 4 may have been from the topics in which you are not strong (SC/RC).
    - The time that you have spent across various sections(SC/CR/RC) is very different from the reference timings for these sections. How do they compare to the amount of time you took to get questions in each of these sections correct during your Mock phase?

Looking at your ESR, I have a question for you and the answer for that will help a lot in giving you precise recommendations –
    1. How do you approach a question in SC, CR, and RC? Do you follow a set process or look at the options and try to work your way back?

Learn how to comprehend the meaning of passages of any length and topic

We conducted a free RC webinar on 11th of August which focused on how to read a passage of any length topic effectively so that it becomes simple to comprehend what the author wants to communicate through the passage. This would in turn help in solving the RC questions more accurately. I am sharing the recording of this video for your reference.

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 07:44
egmat

Hi Aditee,

Thank you for your response.
I think I have a pretty solid process for CR. But for RC and SC not so much.

For SC, I usually have a good process. I am able to find splits and eliminate the wrong answers systematically.
But during the test, I wasn't able to find the decision points.
Maybe I should've spent more time on each question...

On RC, I usually spend 2 ~ 2.5 minutes reading. On the test, I think I was going much faster.
Partly because passages were short and partly because I was picking an answer and moving on rather than getting stuck on one.

I have egmat account, but I haven't been utilizing it because the interface is buggy at times. And a few times I wasn't able to login or access the website at all..
What do you recommend doing on egmat?
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 21:34
Hi completing,

I would request you to drop a mail on support@e-gmat.com regarding the technical issues that you faced while accessing the website and our team will look into it. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

1. Go through the YSP course (a part of your e-gmat purchase). It will give you insights on how to study to get to your target score.

2. For SC - I would recommend that you follow the 3-step process taught in the e-GMAT course. This process ensured that you do not miss out on any critical aspect in getting the correct answer. Splits approach on higher difficulty level questions does become a little difficult for a lot of students.

3. For RC - I would recommend that you go through the Reading Strategies in the course.

4. Practice - Use Scholaranium to practice and get detailed insights about your performance such as your current ability level, accuracy across different difficulty levels, time required to answer questions correctly across various topics, etc.

If you face any difficulty or need any strategy related support, write to us at support@e-gmat.com and we will be happy to help!

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

examPAL Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 05:57
hey completing
about RC - taking notes for each paragraph is a good place to start. The trick is to do so efficiently - read only the sentence you need. other tips include paying special attention to connecting words (thus, however, etc), not waste time on reading the answers till after we've figured out what we're looking for, and asking ourselves as we read the passage "what is this about? what would be a fitting title for this?" (since there is almost always such a question).
about SC - you can spend a little bit more time solving questions, but you could especially do this if you can cut your time in other types of question, especially CR, where your time is a bit high.
one way to cut time in CR is not to waste time reading the answers, till after you have already figured out what you are looking for. this requires using the information in the question to figure out what the answer is going to look like...

completing wrote:
egmat

Hi Aditee,

Thank you for your response.
I think I have a pretty solid process for CR. But for RC and SC not so much.

For SC, I usually have a good process. I am able to find splits and eliminate the wrong answers systematically.
But during the test, I wasn't able to find the decision points.
Maybe I should've spent more time on each question...

On RC, I usually spend 2 ~ 2.5 minutes reading. On the test, I think I was going much faster.
Partly because passages were short and partly because I was picking an answer and moving on rather than getting stuck on one.

I have egmat account, but I haven't been utilizing it because the interface is buggy at times. And a few times I wasn't able to login or access the website at all..
What do you recommend doing on egmat?

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Please help with analyzing my Verbal ESR &nbs [#permalink] 15 Aug 2018, 05:57

Please help with analyzing my Verbal ESR

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap