Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

NYU Stern or Dartmouth Tuck? (Please read post before voting)

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
GRE 1: Q163 V166
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [2]
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Please Weigh In! NYU Stern or Dartmouth Tuck [#permalink]
DefyingGravity wrote:
I agree with MGH's comments. Tuck is the best choice for your career goals. I would only choose Stern if you are more concerned about doing long-distance.

Ideally, I think I'm trying to determine how significant the drop off would be for consulting recruiting if I attended NYU Stern. How much would I be inhibiting my long-term success prospects in strategy consulting, F100 internal strategy, or Private Equity operational roles?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
BschoolBound2014 wrote:
DefyingGravity wrote:
I agree with MGH's comments. Tuck is the best choice for your career goals. I would only choose Stern if you are more concerned about doing long-distance.

Ideally, I think I'm trying to determine how significant the drop off would be for consulting recruiting if I attended NYU Stern. How much would I be inhibiting my long-term success prospects in strategy consulting, F100 internal strategy, or Private Equity operational roles?

See if Stern can connect you with current students in their consulting club so you have a better sense of what the opportunities are, but IMO, in the long-run the opportunities won't be too too different.

I would hope that you visit both schools; Tuck's Admitted Student Weekend is soon, perhaps even this weekend... Stern and Tuck could not be more different in terms of location / environment. I would hope that you find yourself gravitating toward one environment over another. In the long-run, 2 years of business school is a pretty short time and your gf will understand that you're doing this to forward yourself and your career.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aerien wrote:
See if Stern can connect you with current students in their consulting club so you have a better sense of what the opportunities are, but IMO, in the long-run the opportunities won't be too too different.

Interestingly enough, I spoke to a student from Stern's Management Consulting Association today but she was hesitantly noncommittal to stats regarding how many students were hired at each firm.

aerien wrote:
I would hope that you visit both schools; Tuck's Admitted Student Weekend is soon, perhaps even this weekend... Stern and Tuck could not be more different in terms of location / environment. I would hope that you find yourself gravitating toward one environment over another. In the long-run, 2 years of business school is a pretty short time and your gf will understand that you're doing this to forward yourself and your career.

I have visited both schools multiple times. While for some a clear environment (rural vs. city) comes out as the winner, I have lived in both environments previously and adapted well. I see the perks of both continuing to live in NY and moving to tight knit Hanover and am thus inclined to make my choice based on the career and convenience factors.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Based on what I've heard and folks at other schools with whom I've spoken, the drop off in MBB recruiting from Tuck to Stern is pretty large. I'd think long and hard about which is more important to you: maximizing your shot at MBB or being near your girlfriend.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
This is going to be a personal choice. B-school puts a lot of stress on relationship, so does working for a BB bank. I would really think about about how much I value my relationship and how much I value a potentially better chance in getting in MBB.

Getting in MBB is not a sure thing from any school. I personally think the difference in placement between elite-level schools is less due to the "school", but more due to the student composition. If you are strong candidate, you can get in to MBB from any of the core schools MBB recruits at.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts