GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 06:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

POLI spokesman: Our radical new keyboard called Wave KB just attracted

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
POLI spokesman: Our radical new keyboard called Wave KB just attracted  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2014, 03:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

25% (01:32) correct 75% (01:20) wrong based on 130 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

POLI spokesman: Our radical new keyboard called Wave KB just attracted a funding of $120 million. The keyboard has soft rubber keys which can bend and shape a tune, the way you can bend the strings on a guitar. Therefore, it’s a genuinely radical departure from normal keyboards.

Critic: You can bend notes on a regular piano as well. Just open up the top and pull on the string. So, this keyboard doesn't do anything which a regular keyboard cannot.

Which of the following indicates the manner in which the critic responds to the statement of the POLI spokesman?

A. He praises the capabilities of the new keyboard but concludes that it doesn’t go far enough.
B. He questions the utility of the new keyboard and concludes that it’s not required.
C. He questions the utility of the new keyboard but agrees that it could be useful in some situations.
D. He ignores the conclusion of the spokesman and presents a conclusion of his own.
E. He refutes the conclusion of the spokesman and outlines a method through which the requirement of the new keyboard is reduced.
Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: POLI spokesman: Our radical new keyboard called Wave KB just attracted  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2014, 05:15
E seems good :He refutes the conclusion of the spokesman and outlines a method through which the requirement of the new keyboard is reduced
i will explain it once u put the answer

please always put the source of question .
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: POLI spokesman: Our radical new keyboard called Wave KB just attracted  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2014, 10:40
Would u mind posting the explanation also. Without an official answer nobody would come for a debate. : ) What's d OA ?
My choice is E
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2014, 13:05
Well, I didn't post the OA earlier because I wanted to see some discussion around the question first.
Anyway, I have created this question and the OA is D.

Let me explain why E is wrong.

E. He refutes the conclusion of the spokesman and outlines a method through which the requirement of the new keyboard is reduced.

The critic does outline a method through which the requirement of the new keyboard is reduced. But he doesn't refute the conclusion of the spokesman.

If you notice carefully, the conclusion of the spokesman is that Wave KB is a genuinely radical departure from normal keyboards. That's because it has a different construction which helps in bending and shaping a tune. The critic doesn't comment on whether the new keyboard is a genuinely radical departure or not. He just mentions a way in which the task accomplished by Wave KB can be done through a conventional keyboard as well. But the new keyboard could still be a radical departure from conventional keyboards because of its design. Maybe it's much easier on the new keyboard to shape a tune than it is on a conventional keyboard. The critic doesn't present his thoughts regarding this aspect. He doesn't agree or disagree with the conclusion. Therefore, the first part of E is wrong.

For the same reason, D is the correct answer choice.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2014, 08:41
prashantpareek wrote:
Hi Folks

Here is a CR question for you to get some practice. I'll post the official answer later.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POLI spokesman: Our radical new keyboard called Wave KB just attracted a funding of $120 million. The keyboard has soft rubber keys which can bend and shape a tune, the way you can bend the strings on a guitar. Therefore, it’s a genuinely radical departure from normal keyboards.

Critic: You can bend notes on a regular piano as well. Just open up the top and pull on the string. So, this keyboard doesn't do anything which a regular keyboard cannot.

Which of the following indicates the manner in which the critic responds to the statement of the POLI spokesman?

A. He praises the capabilities of the new keyboard but concludes that it doesn’t go far enough.
B. He questions the utility of the new keyboard and concludes that it’s not required.
C. He questions the utility of the new keyboard but agrees that it could be useful in some situations.
D. He ignores the conclusion of the spokesman and presents a conclusion of his own.

Regards
Prashant

None of the answer choices are correct.
(D) is wrong because, He doesn't present a conclusion of his own , in fact refutes the Conclusion provided by spokesman. "this keyboard doesn't do anything which a regular keyboard cannot" means that this keyboard is not radically different from normal keyboards.
(E) is wrong because(its half correct in a sense that it says "he refutes the conclusion of the spokesman") , he doesn't outline a method through which the requirement of the new keyboard is reduced he just says "You can bend notes on a regular piano as well" this in no way talks about any method to reduces the requirement of the new keyboard.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2016, 10:45
Is the answer B ? If so i will try to provide my explanation.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2016, 04:47
the answer has to be E.

Our radical new keyboard called Wave KB just attracted a funding of $120 million. The keyboard has soft rubber keys which can bend and shape a tune, the way you can bend the strings on a guitar. Therefore, it’s a genuinely radical departure from normal keyboards.

Here we have a conclusion indicator which states that the its the end of normal keyboard, and this is the stated premise "the keyboard has soft rubber keys which can bend and shape a tune, the way you can bend the strings on a guitar"

Option E: He refutes the conclusion of the spokesman and outlines a method through which the requirement of the new keyboard is reduced.
Here option E clearly states how the critic disprove the above said collusion and tell us that it do nothing new..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 05:52
Ambiguous question not a official one.

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 21:22
Hello There,

I would like to get an answer for this question, as the answer responses in the thread below are unclear. Pls provide the correct answer and the explanation for why that particular answer choice is correct. Thank you. The question is as below:

POLI spokesman: Our radical new keyboard called Wave KB just attracted a funding of $120 million. The keyboard has soft rubber keys which can bend and shape a tune, the way you can bend the strings on a guitar. Therefore, it???s a genuinely radical departure from normal keyboards.

A. He praises the capabilities of the new keyboard but concludes that it doesn???t go far enough.
B. He questions the utility of the new keyboard and concludes that it???s not required.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: POLI spokesman: Our radical new keyboard called Wave KB just attracted &nbs [#permalink] 03 Sep 2018, 21:22

POLI spokesman: Our radical new keyboard called Wave KB just attracted

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap