Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 05:20 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [5]
Send PM
Re: General Management programs [#permalink]
Kudos
In case anyone is interested, I did some googling of GM clubs at various schools (e.g. Kellogg) and found a few lists of companies that have GM rotational program/strategy type positions:
- 3M
- 3 Plus TV Network AG
- Abbott Laboratories
- Amazon.com
- Amphenol
- CIGNA
- John Deere
- Sony Corporation
- Walt Disney Studios
- Davita
- Colgate
- Kraft
- Toyota
- DuPont

Interestingly, most aren't located in big cities but in exciting places like...Bloomfield, CT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
In case anyone is interested, I did some googling of GM clubs at various schools (e.g. Kellogg) and found a few lists of companies that have GM rotational program/strategy type positions:
- 3M
- 3 Plus TV Network AG
- Abbott Laboratories
- Amazon.com
- Amphenol
- CIGNA
- John Deere
- Sony Corporation
- Walt Disney Studios
- Davita
- Colgate
- Kraft
- Toyota
- DuPont

Interestingly, most aren't located in big cities but in exciting places like...Bloomfield, CT.

I think P&G also has this program.Some european companies might also have this,ex Nestle,Unilever.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
- 3M
- 3 Plus TV Network AG
- Abbott Laboratories
- Amazon.com
- Amphenol
- CIGNA
- John Deere
- Sony Corporation
- Walt Disney Studios
- Davita
- Colgate
- Kraft
- Toyota
- DuPont

On that note, does anyone know of rotational programs that are located in big cities? The common stereotype is that these programs cater to older folks with families who are ready to settle down in the suburbs somewhere. Can someone dispel the stereotype?

Out of the list above, I know that DaVita, Disney, and Sony are in LA and Amazon.com is in Seattle. The rest I would assume are rural or suburban.

Are there any GM rotational programs in Downtown San Francisco or New York City?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
I'm pretty sure Abbott is in Chicago, or close to it. You could always do a reverse commute. Many people I know working at big companies in San Jose do it from SF.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Kudos
kidro2001 wrote:
I'm pretty sure Abbott is in Chicago, or close to it. You could always do a reverse commute. Many people I know working at big companies in San Jose do it from SF.

Abbott is actually in Evanston, right next to Kellogg!

Also, if the Sony program referring to is SONYBMG 1-Yr Rotation program, a friend of mine went through it and it's basically 2-six month rotation. First rotation is as a sales manager or marketing manager of one of their entertainment (movie or mosic) units. Then next 6 month is rotation in their London office doing similar thing. However, this is a contractual 1 yr program. depending on their evaluation, you are extended a full time offer or not.

Also for GE Finance rotation program....(specifically GE Commercial Finance)

My roommate went through that program right out of college. Apparently, they mix both undergrads and MBAs in same program. His first rotation was as investment analyst (only in title). Job description is basically - GE Capital has (or used to have - they are in so much trouble lately) triple A credit rating. They can borrow money at such low interest rate compared to others. Then there are mid size corporations with shakier credit rating.

GE Capital takes on these mid size corporations as their client. If the mid size corp can borrow money at 11% interest rate directly from banks, and GE can borrow at say 5%, GE will charge somewhere in between to the mid size corp. Mid size corporation now gets loan at (say) 9% interest rate. GE goes to bank to borrow this sum at 5% and profits off the interest rate difference. Role of investment analysts are to drive/travel to these clients (like auditors) and assess/value the client's liquid asset. If the client has suffient liquid asset and solid balance sheet, investment analyst writes up a good rec letter for the loan etc etc.

My roommate quit after one year due to excessive traveling and lower pay compared to others. He went to South Carolina to count (literally) cows because they were the client's liquid asset. He also went to Northern california and counted boxes/cases of frozen fish inside a large refrigerator.....

But he did this for a year and this background was good enough for him to get a job as risk management analyst at Bear Stearns. When Bear folded into JP, he ended up staying with JP and currently works there.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Ouch.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
ac8706 wrote:
1) Are there any backgrounds that tend to feed into GM programs? I got the sense from speaking with some current Fuqua students that really anyone can transition into GM, it's more about showing that you can learn easily. Is that what y'all have seen/heard?

GM isnt as hard to transfer into as some industries but most aren't as hard as you might thing. If you are at a top school companies know you are intelligent, motivated, and at most schools you will have a track record of success.

My experiences with GM recruiting so far: Note not many people recruit for it heavily compared to marketing, finance, or consulting.
-Engineering and consulting backgrounds seem to be valued, they like analytical abillites. IB'ers do well too.
-Engineers and consultants often have more relatent work experience, which is very valuable.
-Prior leadership experience is good, especially if you led teams with diverse backgrounds...manufacturers value people who can interact with not only other highly educated managers but the hourly employees.
-GM also happens to be more popular with people with engineering and consulting backgrounds.
-Most programs want a minimum of 3 to 4 years of work experience.
-Very few programs accept internationals

ac8706 wrote:
2) It seems that most of them are in the manufacturing space (e.g. GE, John Deere). Is there a reason why? Is it just because it's easier to learn the skills associated with those programs in that type of industry?

The well known ones do tend to be in manufacturing space since these are a lot of the major companies that need GM. GE, Danaher, Deere, Eaton, Emerson...etc.
-CPG's have marketing as the feeders to the top of their companies
-Banks use their finance employees

If you look outside the box there are rotational programs in a large variety of industries such as energy, healthcare, services...and there are some international opportunities. If you look at companies that recruit at European schools it helps show there are companies overseas with programs such as Mittal, Rolls Royce, British Telecom, British American Tobacco...etc.

Also not all GM programs are rotational, some have more finance or strategy paths. Some great GM jobs aren't rotational at all. And some rotational programs arent strictly GM. Cargill is a strategy position and Chevron has a big finance program.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
River,

Have you found very many GM programs that are located in big urban centers like NY, SF, LA, Chicago, or Boston?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
agold wrote:
River,

Have you found very many GM programs that are located in big urban centers like NY, SF, LA, Chicago, or Boston?

There are enough that you can find them if you want. I am pretty focused on energy and know of GM opportunities at big name companies in LA, SF, Chicago, DC, Atlanta, and tons in Texas. Along with other nice locations in decent sized cities. Rotational programs often move you around the country but not always. Diversified companies like Danaher have locations all over like consulting companies. You could be in Seattle or Chicago, if you want but you could choose to be in Blacksburg Virginia.

If you want a specific large city you could find companies with GM positions there. Minneapolis, Chicago, Seattle, Boston, NYC...you might just have to do more looking.

Also just like consulting you may not get what you want though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
In a good job market (aka not now), some companies will probably "create" a GM rotational program of you if they don't have an official, established one. My company offers one, getting picked for it usually means you are from either a top 3 school or a top 7 school with extremely extensive experience (more than 5 years) in a relevant sector.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest
 Q44  V38
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
- Walt Disney Studios

Yes please! Sign me up!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
agold wrote:
River,

P&G has a rotation program based in SF. Apparently they are pretty selective and take people from Chicago, Haas, Wharton, Tuck, and Kellogg
https://www.pgecorp.com/aboutus/careers/ ... p_program/

I know Medtronic, Genentech, and Intel all have high quality MBA rotation program for their offices in Silicon Valley or SF
https://www.gene.com/gene/careers/univer ... /ordp.html
https://www.intel.com/jobs/usa/students/programs/mba.htm
https://www.medtronic.com/careers/studen ... /index.htm
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
zhl226 wrote:

P&G has a rotation program based in SF. Apparently they are pretty selective and take people from Chicago, Haas, Wharton, Tuck, and Kellogg

Though P&G may hate Haas right now because last year they extended 9 offers and got 0 acceptances... I don't think those were rotational nor based in SF, but the ones based in the Midwest. :?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
zhl226 wrote:

Though P&G may hate Haas right now because last year they extended 9 offers and got 0 acceptances... I don't think those were rotational nor based in SF, but the ones based in the Midwest. :?

Midwest like Chicago? or midwest like rural parts?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
as in, Ohio. :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Note to those who dont know the difference. PG&E is pacific gas and electric, its a major utility (I do believe they recruit at Haas though Kry). P&G is a major CPG.

HUGE difference people. One generates and sells electricity...the other makes and sells swiffers.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Note to those who dont know the difference. PG&E is pacific gas and electric, its a major utility (I do believe they recruit at Haas though Kry). P&G is a major CPG.

HUGE difference people. One generates and sells electricity...the other makes and sells swiffers.

LOL, I just realized that zh posted P&G in his post and PG&E in the link... haha.

Quote:

Yes, PG&E does recruit at Haas and does have a rotation program based in SF.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92952 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts