Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 09:45 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [2]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurial Management, General Management
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Re: Prerequisites & MBA Survival kit [#permalink]
Hi Priyah,

I'm not sure if you are still an active member of GMAT club, but I was curious as to which preparation method you ended up choosing and if you believe it was sufficient.

I have been considering the UC Berkeley courses but it seems that with the 12 assignments and the fact that the professor will only grade 1 a week, unless you plea the professor to grade quicker and that is totally up to the prof.

Whereas, I'm not sure if MBA math is sufficient for someone from a non-quant focused major in college. Thanks and I hope you have enjoyed your MBA experience. Have a good one.

-Curious

Priyah wrote:
I was wondering as to what kind of preparation gmatclub members from non-accounting/finance backgrounds are doing?

I am from an engg background, have absolutely no exposure to accounting, finance and any advanced statistics. I was thinking of joining a community college in summer to acquaint myself with them so I dont feel overwhelmed when the program starts in fall.

Has anyone tried the 'MBA survival kit' from mba.com? Will it suffice?
What other options would you recommend?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Time management is probably the most critical thing -- there will be a lot of demands that you will have to balance between school, job search, personal time, etc.

Best of Luck!
Aveek Guha,

Moderator edit: don't use the forums to advertise your products.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Brand Management
Schools:Schulich class of 2012
 Q35  V48
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
So, what about optional courses?

My school is offering this thing called the "Flying Start" week which is 5 days of condensed courses introducing cases, finance. and accounting. I didn't realize it was optional and that it costs $700 extra.

Are these types of things worth it?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
If you're going to be taking those courses as part of the MBA core curriculum, it's probably not worth it. Generally speaking the MBA core is designed to be do-able for people without business backgrounds, so taking an accounting course to prepare for your MBA accounting course, etc, is probably a little overkill.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
flapjack wrote:
Are we supposed to already have advanced knowledge of accounting and finance when we arrive at business school?

Depends on the school. But in a nutshell, we should be at least somewhat literate in the two. Here is the cheapest possible way to prepare:

1. MBA math.com

2. "The 10 day MBA"

3. The Sloan link mentioned above.

Not having any knowledge of (1) Accounting (2) Stats (3) Micoecon and (4) Finance will REALLY make that first year difficult.

According to a friend at a top 20 b-school, "not having the basic knowledge equates to about 2~3 hours of sleep a night; understanding the basics gets you a couple extra hours of rest."

Seriously, if you have never cracked an accounting text before, I strongly suggest you start now.

I have a couple of slightly off-topic questions. In undergrad, I took some business courses (business law, marketing, MIS, accounting, management), and I've taken macro-economics at a community college before going to undergrad. However, at college, I took a micro class and I didn't do too hot in it. In order to make myself more appealing to admissions, should I retake micro via extension?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.37
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
CFA Level 1 will give you a very solid grounding in the basics for:

- Ethics
- Quant Methods (Stats and the like)
- Corporate Finance
- Economics
- Equity & Fixed Income Investments
- Alternate Investments
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MackyCee wrote:
CFA Level 1 will give you a very solid grounding in the basics for:

- Ethics
- Quant Methods (Stats and the like)
- Corporate Finance
- Economics
- Equity & Fixed Income Investments
- Alternate Investments

Has any one tried the GMAT Business Ready Collection from mba dot com ? Is it good/recommended before joining b-school?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategy, Management Consulting
Schools:Oxford Said Business School
 Q49  V31 GMAT 2: 720  Q49  V39
WE 1: Team Lead for IT Offshoring projects
Send PM
Hi,

Did anyone read "The Portable MBA in Finance and Accounting "

I am trying to read first chapter and am finding it very confusing. I must have read it atleast 4-5 times. Is the book itself bit confusing or should I try some other light read first?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos