GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 22:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Preparing for RC - My way

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
BSchool Forum Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Preparing for RC - My way  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 07:22
Hi Everyone,

Lately, I have been getting a lot of questions pertaining to the preparation of RC. I thought it would be easy to share my detailed thoughts and approach in a post: hence the following post.

Like many people, I am not an avid reader and thus I too struggled with RCs in the initial stages of my prep. However, I followed a particular way to enhance my RC skills.

GMAT mostly tests three types of questions in the exam:
1. Inference/strengthen/weaken type -- These questions can be improved with improvements in CR skills
2. According to passage type -- These questions have answers hidden somewhere in the RC. You just need to pinpoint the information being talked about in the question in RC
3. Main point type -- These questions test your overall understanding of the RC

First things first, you should absolutely know that GMAT RCs are extracted from articles and they don't give you any background information on the topic talked about. Thus, your very first step should be to train yourself likewise.

During my prep phase, I used to read Scientific American and Oxford Journals. Before I started reading I made sure that I don't see the title of the article that I was going to read. For this activity, I usually took the help of my friends. I asked them to open any random page in the pdf that didn't contain the title and I asked them to be very careful the page they were going to present me for reading because the page shouldn't have had the beginning or end of the article. I made sure to start reading somewhere in the middle of the article. Once I was sorted out with the material to read, I started reading the first para and summarised it mentally. Please make a special note that I didn't take written notes during this activity. The purpose of the activity was to train my brain to remember as much stuff as it can alongside making myself comfortable with GMAT like language. After finishing summarization of the first paragraph, I read and summarised the next para. Similarly, after the second para, I read and summarised the third para. After completing the third para, I tried to connect the three summaries in order to understand the bigger picture. Once I had a good understanding, I checked out the title of the article to confirm my understanding. I performed this activity during my free time, mostly in the office, so that I didn't lose valuable practice time at home. Of course, while practicing RCs at home I made notes for each para.

While reading, I paid special attention to the transition words such as however, but, furthermore etc. because these are the words that tend to change the tone of the author. During the initial stages of my prep, I paid special attention to the first and last lines of each para because many times the author tends to place the twists in these lines. I would suggest you pay attention to the flow of information rather than going into the depths of jargons. For example, if you are reading a science passage and if scientific names are present in the passage then you might want to just make a note of the placement of those words in the RC, so that if any according to passage question pops up you would be able to pinpoint the location of that word. There is no point in writing the factual information while summarizing the para.

At times when I started reading the first paragraph of the RC, I would immediately start writing the notes. But soon I realized that I was taking the notes too soon. I changed my strategy and pushed myself to read more, to read the para first in the entirety and then make notes of that para. By doing so I improved my speed and overall comprehension of the para, hence the RC.

By following the above plan I was able to improve my RC skills.

P.S. This is not the only way to improve RC skills. Always search for ways in which you feel comfortable. Try to make GMAT part of your life as much as you can.

I hope this post helps !!

Best Regards,
Gmatexam439

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC
7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Preparing for RC - My way  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 07:36
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Lately, I have been getting a lot of questions pertaining to the preparation of RC. I thought it would be easy to share my detailed thoughts and approach in a post: hence the following post.

Like many people, I am not an avid reader and thus I too struggled with RCs in the initial stages of my prep. However, I followed a particular way to enhance my RC skills.

GMAT mostly tests three types of questions in the exam:
1. Inference/strengthen/weaken type -- These questions can be improved with improvements in CR skills
2. According to passage type -- These questions have answers hidden somewhere in the RC. You just need to pinpoint the information being talked about in the question in RC
3. Main point type -- These questions test your overall understanding of the RC

First things first, you should absolutely know that GMAT RCs are extracted from articles and they don't give you any background information on the topic talked about. Thus, your very first step should be to train yourself likewise.

During my prep phase, I used to read Scientific American and Oxford Journals. Before I started reading I made sure that I don't see the title of the article that I was going to read. For this activity, I usually took the help of my friends. I asked them to open any random page in the pdf that didn't contain the title and I asked them to be very careful the page they were going to present me for reading because the page shouldn't have had the beginning or end of the article. I made sure to start reading somewhere in the middle of the article. Once I was sorted out with the material to read, I started reading the first para and summarised it mentally. Please make a special note that I didn't take written notes during this activity. The purpose of the activity was to train my brain to remember as much stuff as it can alongside making myself comfortable with GMAT like language. After finishing summarization of the first paragraph, I read and summarised the next para. Similarly, after the second para, I read and summarised the third para. After completing the third para, I tried to connect the three summaries in order to understand the bigger picture. Once I had a good understanding, I checked out the title of the article to confirm my understanding. I performed this activity during my free time, mostly in the office, so that I didn't lose valuable practice time at home. Of course, while practicing RCs at home I made notes for each para.

While reading, I paid special attention to the transition words such as however, but, furthermore etc. because these are the words that tend to change the tone of the author. During the initial stages of my prep, I paid special attention to the first and last lines of each para because many times the author tends to place the twists in these lines. I would suggest you pay attention to the flow of information rather than going into the depths of jargons. For example, if you are reading a science passage and if scientific names are present in the passage then you might want to just make a note of the placement of those words in the RC, so that if any according to passage question pops up you would be able to pinpoint the location of that word. There is no point in writing the factual information while summarizing the para.

At times when I started reading the first paragraph of the RC, I would immediately start writing the notes. But soon I realized that I was taking the notes too soon. I changed my strategy and pushed myself to read more, to read the para first in the entirety and then make notes of that para. By doing so I improved my speed and overall comprehension of the para, hence the RC.

By following the above plan I was able to improve my RC skills.

P.S. This is not the only way to improve RC skills. Always search for ways in which you feel comfortable. Try to make GMAT part of your life as much as you can.

I hope this post helps !!

Best Regards,
Gmatexam439

Thanks for this great insight. It will be really helpful.

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 07:41
Manager
Manager
S
Schools: ISB
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 07:50
Hi gmatexam439!

Could you recommend good resources for RC, other than the OG?

Thanks,
V

Regards,

Vaibhav

Sky is the limit. 800 is the limit.

~GMAC

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 08:06
vaibhav1221 wrote:
Hi gmatexam439!

Thanks,
V

Hi Vaibhav,

I solved random questions from the forum. You can always go for MGMAT, Kaplan, Veritas, LSAT and Economist and even a few GRE ones if you have exhausted each and every resource.

RC directory by bb in the RC forum is the place you are looking for!

Hope that helps !!

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
3. LSAT RC compilation
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 10:04
gmatexam439 wrote:
vaibhav1221 wrote:
Hi gmatexam439!

Thanks,
V

Hi Vaibhav,

I solved random questions from the forum. You can always go for MGMAT, Kaplan, Veritas, LSAT and Economist and even a few GRE ones if you have exhausted each and every resource.

RC directory by bb in the RC forum is the place you are looking for!

Hope that helps !!

Regards

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,
V

Posted from my mobile device

Regards,

Vaibhav

~GMAC

SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 19:41
Top Contributor
vaibhav1221 wrote:
Hi gmatexam439!

Thanks,
V

For RC - the best way to improve is to practice.

I highly recommend Harvard Magazine articles? Why? Because they have a lot of short articles - that are very similar to what you might see on the GMAT exam -- usually 4-6 paragraphs citing some kind of social or science research.

Favorite this:
https://harvardmagazine.com/topic/Research

Look for where it says: "Select a topic:" - Humanities, Social Science, Science, International

Go to the above link and read some of the articles.You'll see these are almost the exact topics you will see on the actual GMAT exam.

Here's one example:

https://harvardmagazine.com/2018/02/how ... lationship

Are you able to quickly read through it - ideally without reading every word - and identify WHO is writing it and WHY they are writing it - WHAT's the whole point to the author spending time to write these passages?

These are great for RC comprehension - with practice, time management becomes a non-issue.

This is what we recommend for our students!

See if this video helps: http://www.gmatpill.com/readingcomprehension/intro.mp4

You can also get more RC Practice with our online question bank:

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... questions/

---and the best material for RC is saved for our RC Pill course where we actually walk through dozens of RC passages showing you where to read and where not to read.

Just look for "Vishal" under the "Verbal Improvement" tab of

http://www.gmatpill.com/testimonials

-- read his story (and video) about RC improvement.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 20:38
GMATPill wrote:
vaibhav1221 wrote:
Hi gmatexam439!

Thanks,
V

For RC - the best way to improve is to practice.

I highly recommend Harvard Magazine articles? Why? Because they have a lot of short articles - that are very similar to what you might see on the GMAT exam -- usually 4-6 paragraphs citing some kind of social or science research.

Favorite this:
https://harvardmagazine.com/topic/Research

Look for where it says: "Select a topic:" - Humanities, Social Science, Science, International

Go to the above link and read some of the articles.You'll see these are almost the exact topics you will see on the actual GMAT exam.

Here's one example:

https://harvardmagazine.com/2018/02/how ... lationship

Are you able to quickly read through it - ideally without reading every word - and identify WHO is writing it and WHY they are writing it - WHAT's the whole point to the author spending time to write these passages?

These are great for RC comprehension - with practice, time management becomes a non-issue.

This is what we recommend for our students!

See if this video helps: http://www.gmatpill.com/readingcomprehension/intro.mp4

You can also get more RC Practice with our online question bank:

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... questions/

---and the best material for RC is saved for our RC Pill course where we actually walk through dozens of RC passages showing you where to read and where not to read.

Just look for "Vishal" under the "Verbal Improvement" tab of

http://www.gmatpill.com/testimonials

-- read his story (and video) about RC improvement.

Thanks for all the useful info and links!

Regards,
V

Regards,

Vaibhav

~GMAC

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 07:10
Your insights are always spot on.
Thanks gmatexam439

"Winning is all about right strategy"

Set S.M.A.R.T Objectives : Specific | Measurable | Attainable | Relevant | Time-Bound

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 12:19
Setback wrote:
Your insights are always spot on.
Thanks gmatexam439

Thank you, bro. It feels great that the strategy turned out to be useful for others also.

Kudos if my post helps!

Preparing for RC my way

My study resources:
3. LSAT RC compilation
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Preparing for RC - My way &nbs [#permalink] 16 Jul 2018, 12:19

Preparing for RC - My way

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap