It is currently 22 Jan 2018, 16:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Preparing the GMAT in 10 days

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Preparing the GMAT in 10 days [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 04:28
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and to the exam as well. I'm a second-year student in economic and finance at Bocconi and i was considering preparing the GMAT during the summer full-time. However, at the end of January i'm gonna have about 10 free days between finals and the beginning of the second semester.
My programme is: between now and January using my free time to do some research about the exam, reading this forum and getting to know the exam structure, the different parts, timing etc.
Then in those 10 days prepare the exam; I'm used to study between 12 and 14 hours per day with some breaks here and there, so we're talking at around 120hrs more or less of effective time spent preparing it and using a few GMAT books that are in my university library.
Considering that i'm aiming for a 720 or more, and that i want to do it mostly to see how the exam is structured and how i'm gonna perform on exam day, what do you guys think? Should I try or wait and prepare it during the summer?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Re: Preparing the GMAT in 10 days [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 04:36
This post received
KUDOS
Braccio wrote:
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and to the exam as well. I'm a second-year student in economic and finance at Bocconi and i was considering preparing the GMAT during the summer full-time. However, at the end of January i'm gonna have about 10 free days between finals and the beginning of the second semester.
My programme is: between now and January using my free time to do some research about the exam, reading this forum and getting to know the exam structure, the different parts, timing etc.
Then in those 10 days prepare the exam; I'm used to study between 12 and 14 hours per day with some breaks here and there, so we're talking at around 120hrs more or less of effective time spent preparing it and using a few GMAT books that are in my university library.
Considering that i'm aiming for a 720 or more, and that i want to do it mostly to see how the exam is structured and how i'm gonna perform on exam day, what do you guys think? Should I try or wait and prepare it during the summer?

Hi Braccio,

I think taking an exam with just 10 days of prep is not going to be sufficient considering your target score.
You need a solid 45-60 days of minimum preparation in order to score big. Having said that, you can take one test from GMATprep software and see where your current score is. That will give you an idea of strengths and weaknesses and you will be able to plan your study schedule better.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 13:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Braccio,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so you shouldn't expect to achieve much in just your initial 10 days of study. In addition, the 720+ score is above the 90th percentile, meaning that less than 10% of Test Takers ever score that high (regardless of how long they study or the number of times they take the GMAT). This is meant to say that you would almost certainly find a better use for those 10 days than studying for 120+ hours and spending $250 to take the Official GMAT when you'll end up having to pay to retake it later.

If you'd like to do some 'investigation' into the Test (and the process of studying for it) during those 10 days - with the goal of committing to a more structured, consistent study routine in the summer - then you might choose to put in some reasonable study time (NOT 10+ hours a day) and then take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison when you study during the summer. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can discuss the results and how you might study during the summer.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Expert Post
examPAL Representative
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 05:17
Hi Braccio,

It is recommended to spend more than 10 days to prepare.
The GMAC's research show that people who got more than 700 spent 120 hours to prepare for the exam: https://www.mba.com/global/the-gmat-blo ... -gmat.aspx

I recommend to purchase a course that can get you ready as fast as possible with the assumption you won't be fully prepared in 10 days. Many courses, including examPAL, provide a 6 months access to the material after you purchase, so if you decide to retake the test you will still have time on your subscription.

My advice is to take the test at a later date and study for at least 4 weeks.

Erez Zundy
VP Product & Marketing at examPAL

Signup for a free GMAT course

Retired Moderator
P
GRE 1: 323 Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 05:58
I am not gonna sugarcoat this -> Unless you are already at 700 level (most students are not) you will have to spend atleast a month or two studying for the test.
Learning the techniques and tools take time.
4 hours for a month >>>>>>> 12 hours for 10 Days.

You want your brain to observer the material which will need more that 10 days.

All the best
Stone

Give me a hell yeah ...!!!!!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 06:10
Friend of mine has studied more than 3 months. So I think that You'll not success :S I'm sorry about that.
Wait and learn, because your target score is high :D
VP
VP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 21:53
Braccio wrote:
It's doable, but only if you are already very good at both quant and verbal. Take a GMATPrep test to see how close you already are to your target score. Take a second GMATPrep if you feel you were not comfortable with the format of the test the first time around.

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Preparing the GMAT in 10 days [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 22:39
Braccio wrote:

Hello Braccio

Some people are able to ace the exam in 10 day prep and some take 3-4 months to prepare. It totally depends on your basic proficiency of quant and verbal and how much you practice.

I would suggest you to read about exam pattern and timing and give 1 GMATprep free mock (about 4 hours duration) and look for areas you need to improve on. Once you get the details you can calculate if 10 days will be enough for you or you need to utilize summer holidays for the preparation.

:)
Preparing the GMAT in 10 days   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2017, 22:39

Preparing the GMAT in 10 days

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR JANUARY
Math Revolution - Free Free Diagnostic Quant Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
examPAL - Free Video Course A complete on-demand GMAT course
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap