Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Accounting, Marketing
GMAT Date: 09-01-2012
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Operations, Statistics
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Re: Private Reception Invitations? [#permalink]
Maybe it's just me, but I never went to a business school fair, mostly because it is way too much hassle for me. In addition, most of the top schools will have so many guys in line trying to talk to the admissions officers, and there probably are a few in that line who think that that alone is going to improve their chances. I'm not against fairs by any means, but they're really just another information session where you can get info from multiple schools at the same time.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Georgetown McD Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, IBD
Schools:Georgetown
Send PM
I'd agree with the poster who mentioned that these private receptions dont really mean much at all in terms of gaining acceptance to a school. These events really are intended to benefit the prospective students rather than the AdCom. Prospective students get to eat/drink and socialize with one another while the AdCom hopes that they develop some sort of commeraderie with one another and an attachment with the school. I never saw any AdCom's taking notes when I was attending the events as a prospective, and I've never known one of our AdCom's taking notes since I've been a student and involved with the process. They will, however, naturally remember you if you stand out for exceedingly positive reasons or negative reasons. Many times they will also have a sign-in sheet in order to document which candidates showed up to an event. These sign-in sheets along with the formal follow-up email will be your best bet to indicate your interest in their program and provide them with documentation to enhance your candidacy. In recruiting speak, you've checked off those boxes.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
I think you can pretty much be assured that a "private reception" being put on by any top 20-25 school is going to essentially have zero bearing on your chances of admission. If anything, its chances of having a negative impact on your application are a lot higher. At a lower ranked school that may not be the case, but I can't imagine top MBA programs are making their admissions decisions based on how such and such came off at one of the 300 admissions events that the school participated in during the past calendar year.

You probably stand to lose more than gain at one of these events. The most you can expect to gain is a slightly deeper understanding of the admissions process, and maybe a few anecdotal accounts of current changes in the school culture, curriculum, recruiting, etc. And yes, that info could be useful in crafting essays or your "elevator pitch" in the event that you get an interview invitation. But there's also a significant downside if you screw up or have a bad interaction with a member of the adcom.

Basically just have good etiquette, don't monopolize adcoms time, and you will probably come away from the experience fine - but don't expect to have improved your chances of admission at the program in question. Adcom members aren't going to remember your name, story, or anything else (unless you make a really bad impression). They meet hundreds, if not thousands, of highly qualified applicants every year at such events - and probably 85% of those are extremely personable, polite, and would make great students at X school. It's the ones who come across as neurotic, self-absorbed, and socially awkward that are going to hurt themselves by participating in such an event.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
As someone who attended several of these not-so-private receptions last year (I'm talking top 10 schools), I can add to the pile of advice you have gotten so far - there is only a remote chance that the AdCom will notice you at these events.

From your responses, it really does seem like this is not the answer you seek but it is unfortunately the case.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2