Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1434 [0]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
Re: Private tutor [#permalink]
hbcm21 wrote:
Hi experts!

I'm looking for a private tutor in my GMAT journey. I'm now a full time student. I started reading for GMAT for last two weeks. I need someone who could guide me to secure 700 in six months. If I had suggestions from your side, it would be great.

There are some instructor/tutors who take $50/hour, and there are some other who may take $500/hour. So, looking for tutor is totally depends on your budget. Also, if you don't have high budget for any tutor, you should go for on-demand course.
Thanks__
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi hbcm21,

Since you're relatively early-on in your studies, spending money on a tutor might not be necessary at this point. With a 6-month study window, you've given yourself lots of potential study time - which is good (since many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores).

Have you taken any practice CATs/mocks yet? If you have, then how did you score? If not, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) Since you're a full-time student, how many hours do you think you will be able to study for the GMAT each week?
2) What study materials do you currently have access to?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi hbcm21,

A tutor certainly could help, but have you also considered using a self-study course? As already mentioned, if you need quant help, you should give TTP a shot. We offer a full-access, 5-day trial, so you can check out the course. Certainly, if you have any questions regarding your study plan, feel free to reach out. Also, you may find it helpful to read the following article:

How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi hbcm21, any specific reason for only considering private tutor?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
cantaffordname wrote:
You will find many private tutor on this website. I would suggest you to ask for authenticity of their score. most of them haven't taken GMAT and just follow script and they will never prove their ability. I know few of them.

I still urge you to do self study with proper course. For Quant you can take TTP trial. For verbal, you can opt for tutor or manhattan books

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.I will do what you said. I will not take any tutor without verified GMAT score.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Expert Reply
hbcm21 wrote:
Hi experts!

I'm looking for a private tutor in my GMAT journey. I'm now a full time student. I started reading for GMAT for last two weeks. I need someone who could guide me to secure 700 in six months. If I had suggestions from your side, it would be great.

We have a battery of expert instructors at Veritas Prep.
Their bios are given here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/tutoring/
You can tutor with any of them.

Though before you decide, I would suggest you to talk to our academic advisor (contact info is available at the link). Explain your current needs and how you intend to fulfil them. The advisor will be able to guide you on the best way forward for you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I would like to thank you all who made comments above and who sent private messages to me to shape up my idea to select a tutor. I have decided on Quant. Could anyone help me by suggesting a verbal tutor with a verified GMAT score. I was interested on Manhattan Prep On demand or private tutor, but it offers fewer video lessons in proportion to its high payment. I heard form a reliable source that Manhattan prep 9 session course deals with all the easy concepts instead of real GMAT problems. I like video lessons or tutor, and it helps me to master the lesson quickly. Is there any platform where I could get a good amount videos or private sessions for VERBAL?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1434 [1]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
Kudos
hbcm21 wrote:
I would like to thank you all who made comments above and who sent private messages to me to shape up my idea to select a tutor. I have decided on Quant. Could anyone help me by suggesting a verbal tutor with a verified GMAT score. I was interested on Manhattan Prep On demand or private tutor, but it offers fewer video lessons in proportion to its high payment. I heard form a reliable source that Manhattan prep 9 session course deals with all the easy concepts instead of real GMAT problems. I like video lessons or tutor, and it helps me to master the lesson quickly. Is there any platform where I could get a good amount videos or private sessions for VERBAL?

If you like video lessons, e-GMAT or empower GMAT video lessons will be ideal for you for the verbal part. If you want a private tutor, you see the profile of some private tutors from the GMAT club and choose one who matches your requirement.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Expert Reply
hbcm21 wrote:

Sure. Check out our free resources to get an idea on how we deal with the Verbal concepts.

Here you will find video solutions to the toughest OG problems of both Quant and Verbal: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#-solution-station/
Here are the details of our GMAT on demand course which teaches through video lessons: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/gmat-on-demand/
and finally here is the link to our complete sentence correction lesson (in two parts): https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/free-gmat-lesson/
GMAT Club Bot