It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 00:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A couple has two children, one of whom is a girl.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.

Kudos [?]: 212 [2], given: 133

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
A couple has two children, one of whom is a girl. If the probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2014, 03:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

24% (00:18) correct 76% (00:23) wrong based on 163 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A couple has two children, one of whom is a girl. If the probability of having a girl or a boy is 50%, what is the probability that the couple has two daughters?

A. 1/8
B. 1/4
C. 1/3
D. 1/2
E. 2/3
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 212 [2], given: 133

5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [5], given: 48

Concentration: Other, Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)
Re: A couple has two children, one of whom is a girl. If the probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2014, 04:41
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
AmoyV wrote:
A couple has two children, one of whom is a girl. If the probability of having a girl or a boy is 50%, what is the probability that the couple has two daughters?

A. 1/8
B. 1/4
C. 1/3
D. 1/2
E. 2/3

If the probability of having a boy or a girl is \(50%\), the possibilities can be \((BB, BG, GB, GG)\)

Now, it's given that one of the kids is a girl. So, the sample set reduces to \((BG, GB, GG)\)

Probability of having two girls = \(\frac{1}{3}\)

Psst...If that helped press the thumb on the left

Kudos [?]: 25 [5], given: 48

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 155

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A couple has two children, one of whom is a girl. If the probability [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2014, 08:03
Hi...
I don´t understand why permutation matters here. I think this problem is about combinatorics.
In the family there is already one girl. Then the probability of a second girl is 1/2.
Why does it matter whether the girl is the first or the second in the family?. I know that I am wrong but I don´t understand why.

Encourage cooperation! If this post was very useful, kudos are welcome ;)
"It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult task which, more than anything else, will affect It's successful outcome" William James

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 155

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 35 [1], given: 17

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-08-2014
GPA: 3.23
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2014, 10:41
This post received
KUDOS
Maxirosario2012 wrote:
Hi...
I don´t understand why permutation matters here. I think this problem is about combinatorics.
In the family there is already one girl. Then the probability of a second girl is 1/2.
Why does it matter whether the girl is the first or the second in the family?. I know that I am wrong but I don´t understand why.

The question never says that the first child is a girl. If it was so, then the probability would indeed be \(\frac{1}{2}\).

But here we need to consider following two cases:

1) The first child is a girl
In this case there are two possibilities - \(GB, GG\).

1) The first child is a boy
In this case there is just one possibility - \(BG\).
Notice that \(BB\) is not possible as the question explicitly states that one girl is a child.

Hence the probability is \(\frac{1}{3}\).

The buttons on the left are the buttons you are looking for

Kudos [?]: 35 [1], given: 17

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2015, 13:30
I still do not understand this... How is GB different than BG?

If you walk up to a couple and already know that A) they have two children and B) one is a girl....

then half the time they will have two girls and half the time they will have a boy and a girl...

Can someone confirm this? Seems like people are regurgitating information straight from the solutions instead of actually thinking through the problem.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 133182 [1], given: 12439

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2015, 02:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
eltonj wrote:

A. 1/8
B. 1/4
C. 1/3
D. 1/2
E. 2/3

If you walk up to a couple and already know that A) they have two children and B) one is a girl....

then half the time they will have two girls and half the time they will have a boy and a girl...

Can someone confirm this? Seems like people are regurgitating information straight from the solutions instead of actually thinking through the problem.

First child ---- Second child:
B ---------------------------- B;
B ---------------------------- G;
G ---------------------------- B;
G ---------------------------- G.

We know that one if the kids is a girl. So, we have one of the three cases in red. Each case there is equally likely (each has the probability of 1/2*1/2=1/4). So, the probability of GG is 1/3.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2015, 09:06
Bunuel wrote:
eltonj wrote:

A. 1/8
B. 1/4
C. 1/3
D. 1/2
E. 2/3

We know that one if the kids is a girl. So, we have one of the three cases in red. Each case there is equally likely (each has the probability of 1/2*1/2=1/4). So, the probability of GG is 1/3.

Hope it's clear.

Hello, thank you kindly for your response. I fully understand how an answer of 1/3 is found. That being said, I am still not sure why BG and GB is being treated as two separate cases. In my mind, the problem looks like this:

Child Child
B ----------- B
B ----------- G
G ----------- G

I don't see the need to have BG and GB. This problem has nothing to do with the order of the children. We know they have a Girl, so they either have a boy and a girl or two girls.

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 133182 [0], given: 12439

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2015, 00:58
eltonj wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
eltonj wrote:

A. 1/8
B. 1/4
C. 1/3
D. 1/2
E. 2/3

Hope it's clear.

Hello, thank you kindly for your response. I fully understand how an answer of 1/3 is found. That being said, I am still not sure why BG and GB is being treated as two separate cases. In my mind, the problem looks like this:

Child Child
B ----------- B
B ----------- G
G ----------- G

I don't see the need to have BG and GB. This problem has nothing to do with the order of the children. We know they have a Girl, so they either have a boy and a girl or two girls.

Having an older girl and a younger boy is different from having an older boy and a younger girl.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Kudos [?]: 133182 [0], given: 12439

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2015, 09:47
Age is 100% irrelevant in this question, all we care about is gender. The answer is 1/2.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2015, 09:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
eltonj wrote:
Age is 100% irrelevant in this question, all we care about is gender. The answer is 1/2.

The correct answer is 1/3, not 1/2. Having a boy and a girl is twice as likely than having two boys (or two girls), 1/2 and 1/4 respectively, so you should take this into account.

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 05 May 2015, 10:14
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:
eltonj wrote:

The correct answer is 1/3, not 1/2. Having a boy and a girl is twice as likely than having two boys (or two girls), 1/2 and 1/4 respectively, so you should take this into account.

Ahhh okay this makes much more sense to me. Thank you very much!

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 2

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Other)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2015, 06:12
Bunuel wrote:
eltonj wrote:

I was having the same problem as eltonj - but after reading through this thread, Bunuel's last explanation cleared it up. Thank's Bunuel.

Here's an interesting link that shows an interesting visual explaining conditional probability: http://setosa.io/conditional/

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 47

Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2015, 06:47
Sample space = {bb,bg,gb,gg}

Favourable event = {gg}.

Since it's given that one of the child is a girl, the new Sample Space = {bg,gb,gg}.

So, probability = 1/3. Ans (C).

I used to think the brain was the most important organ. Then I thought, look what’s telling me that.

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 47

Expert Post
Math Expert
P

Kudos [?]: 5892 [0], given: 118

Re: A couple has two children, one of whom is a girl. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2016, 04:56
REDWASP2205 wrote:
A) 1/8
B) 1/4
C) 1/3
D) 1/2
E) 2/3

Hi,
we know one is girl..

the cases possible with one kid as girl is
BG or GB or GG -- 3 ways
we are talking of prob of GG -- 1 way
ans \(\frac{1}{3}\)
C

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2016, 05:26
chetan2u

But knowing One of them is a girl, shouldn't we remove BG from the possible cases.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 7

Expert Post
Math Expert
P

A couple has two children, one of whom is a girl. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2016, 05:28
REDWASP2205 wrote:
chetan2u

But knowing One of them is a girl, shouldn't we remove BG from the possible cases.

No, Because we just know that one of them is G..
here the order is important but we are not given the order but just that one is a G..
If it said the first one is a G, then yes we would have had ONLY two cases GB or GG..

Merged topics

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

D

Kudos [?]: 466 [0], given: 113

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2016, 06:13
chetan2u wrote:
REDWASP2205 wrote:
chetan2u

here the order is important but we are not given the order but just that one is a G..
If it said the first one is a G, then yes we would have had ONLY two cases GB or GG..

Hi chetan2u,

This one is crucial for me to understand. whether a boy is first and girl is second or boy is younger than girl or vice versa--WHY do we consider BG, GB as two cases instead of ONE case only. We are not arranging here.

I looked at the responses from Bunuel and others on original post too but i still have this doubt. Could you please explain this?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Expert Post
Math Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2016, 06:24
HKD1710 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
REDWASP2205 wrote:
chetan2u

Hi chetan2u,

This one is crucial for me to understand. whether a boy is first and girl is second or boy is younger than girl or vice versa--WHY do we consider BG, GB as two cases instead of ONE case only. We are not arranging here.

I looked at the responses from Bunuel and others on original post too but i still have this doubt. Could you please explain this?

Hi,

I would relate this Q to two different Q.

1) Ways to pick two books out of 4 books randomly?
4C2..

2) Ways to pick two books out of 4 books one after another?
this will be 4C2 *2!

Our Q is similar to the 2nd case

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1119 [0], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
A couple has two children, one of whom is a girl. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2016, 10:45
HKD1710 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
REDWASP2205 wrote:
chetan2u

Hi chetan2u,

Hello HKD1710

Please go Through eshan429 's post

probability-217147.html#p1406381

IMHO, I don't feel you need to consider younger /older in this case. The chances of having a twins ( Boy and Girl) in a single delivery can not be rejected.

Both Boy and Girl may be born at the same time, we need to consider only the probability of having only 2 daughters ( They may be twins as well - Born on the same day)

Younger / Elder daughter is not important in this case , we simply restrict ourself to a female child (daughter)

Happy Preparations

Abhishek

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1119 [0], given: 327

D

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2016, 10:53
Thanks Abhishek009,

I went thru all those solutions and i still did not understand only the following:

Quote:
WHY do we consider BG, GB as two cases instead of ONE case only. We are not arranging here.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Re: A couple has two children, one of whom is a girl.   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2016, 10:53

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 27 posts ] 

A couple has two children, one of whom is a girl.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap