Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Hi Jon

Thanks for the feedback. Well, I do agree that my career choices might seem a little absurd at the first impression. But to better explain things, early last year, I decided to quit my handsome paying job to take on a entrepreneurial route. My close friends, family and mentors worried about the financial instability a start up could bring and as such I decided to make myself and my entire family financially independent, so that everyone had the liberty to pursue their own passions. To do this I knew I had to come back to my hometown and sell a few family owned assets. Firstly, I decided to give my GMAT and work part time at a friends start up to help him expand his e-commerce business. Simultaneously, I gauged the real estate market of my city and understood the requirements to sell my family owned agricultural land. I marketed the land and found buyers, during which I realized it was equally important to invest the monies intelligently. And, hence I started a family office to manage funds. Self-Learning about taxation, legal challenges and investment management, I structured a portfolio to generate enough passive income to serve daily needs and also ensure aggressive appreciation. A year back I had zero finance experience, but today I can speak at length about mutual funds and bonds, estate planning and succession management, etc.

Why MBA? Well, managing money has not been easy. I would like to learn more about value investing and portfolio management. With some prior practical experience in wealth management, I would like to learn how the professionals manage monies for Ultra HNIs. Learn from peers who have a finance background and from the faculty the school offers. With some more experience in this field post MBA, I see myself starting a boutique wealth management firm which applies technology and personal human touch for the Ultra HNI segment.

I hope I have been able to answer my query.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
nagarwal191 wrote:
Hi Jon

Thanks for the feedback. Well, I do agree that my career choices might seem a little absurd at the first impression. But to better explain things, early last year, I decided to quit my handsome paying job to take on a entrepreneurial route. My close friends, family and mentors worried about the financial instability a start up could bring and as such I decided to make myself and my entire family financially independent, so that everyone had the liberty to pursue their own passions. To do this I knew I had to come back to my hometown and sell a few family owned assets. Firstly, I decided to give my GMAT and work part time at a friends start up to help him expand his e-commerce business. Simultaneously, I gauged the real estate market of my city and understood the requirements to sell my family owned agricultural land. I marketed the land and found buyers, during which I realized it was equally important to invest the monies intelligently. And, hence I started a family office to manage funds. Self-Learning about taxation, legal challenges and investment management, I structured a portfolio to generate enough passive income to serve daily needs and also ensure aggressive appreciation. A year back I had zero finance experience, but today I can speak at length about mutual funds and bonds, estate planning and succession management, etc.

Why MBA? Well, managing money has not been easy. I would like to learn more about value investing and portfolio management. With some prior practical experience in wealth management, I would like to learn how the professionals manage monies for Ultra HNIs. Learn from peers who have a finance background and from the faculty the school offers. With some more experience in this field post MBA, I see myself starting a boutique wealth management firm which applies technology and personal human touch for the Ultra HNI segment.

I hope I have been able to answer my query.

Hey there,
Good to hear back from you! And it does seem like you are developing yourself in interesting directions, personally. The real question though is how can we fit this story into your work history, and your MBA future? Meaning, from the perspective of the AdCom, as is, you went back home, you did various things to try and make some money. Okay. But how does this translate into LEADERSHIP? Into corporate governance? Meaning you can continue making money, investing in real estate, structuring portfolios on your own account without an MBA, and what you need to do to make a successful application to show a) how an MBA makes sense. b) How you will make use of your prior experience.

This is a very solvable challenge, it just requires some thought and creativity!

I hope this clarifies things and helps,

Best,
Jon Frank
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi there,

While you do have some strengths throughout your profile, things are a bit disjointed. I have a hard time connecting your work activities and career progression. At the end of the day, your profile needs to clearly state what you're known for, and at the moment, nothing stands out. Further, your goals aren't concrete. It sounds like you're interested in a lot of stuff, but what is it that you want to do? AdComs need to have a sense of what you'll do as an MBA student and what types of opportunities you're looking for. The more specific you can get, the better off you'll be. For tips on how to craft your story, check out our tips here. If you're wondering how we've helped clients develop a cohesive story, here are some examples.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
nagarwal191 wrote:
Dear Experts,
I am going to agree with the choir here and say the why MBA piece needs to come across clearer and also better explain why you made the moves you have made... For the rec letters I would avoid direct family- is there and outside advisor you work with professionally that can comment on your performance? I'm going to say that Tuck and Stanford are going to be reaches and very long reaches at that. The rest I see as targets.
Kindly evaluate my profile for the top MBA Schools.

Name: Nitish Agarwal
Years of Experience: 5
Target Schools: Insead, LBS, Tuck, Stanford, ISB

University: B.Tech in Civil Engineering, IIT Madras
GPA:8.35/10
Multiple positions of leadership held across 4 years of university. In the final year, led the placement team to ensure placement of 1200+ students achieving record placement numbers.
Published a technical paper in reputed journal.

Work Experience:
1) Wireline Field Engineer, Schlumberger, 3+ years experience from 2013 Jan to 2016 Apr
- Was Team Lead for planning and execution of Wireline Services in high-volume exploration & development projects for O.N.G.C. Mumbai High
- Worked in a multi-disciplinary, multi national, client facing project management role with 100% ownership of functions such as QHSE, Service Delivery, Quality Assurance, Equipment Maintenance, Logistics, Invoicing, Training & Development
- Prepared training modules for trainees, successfully launched a new service and trained peers on execution, received client appreciations for a project and internal awards as wells
- Short stints of work/ training abroad

2) Business Development Head, CECO, 6 months from Apr 2016 to Aug 2016 (Part Time Job during GMAT prep)
- Started a branch office for a small business that sells sunglasses on ecommerce platforms
- Created processes to manage inventory, taxation and invoicing along with increasing portfolio 5x times and reducing delivery time by half with sales increase of 150%

3) Self Employed, Family Trust Manager, 1 year June 2016 to present
- With the aim of attaining financial independence for four households, founded a real estate & wealth management company to initiate financial restructuring of family owned assets & businesses with net worth 700M INR
- Negotiated a real estate sale of 25 acres agricultural land and resolved multiple legal hinderances
- Currently investing the sale proceeds across all sorts of financial product (performed asset allocation & succession planning for my family)
- Learning the nuances of investing and managing a portfolio of 4million USD, currently generating 70 lacs INR as passive income with the rest of monies poised for 12% yoy appreciation
- Also in progress is construction of residential building project

Extracurriculars:
Funraising coordinator at a pan India NGO
Travel Blogger, Photographer, Scuba Diver

GMAT: 720 Q49, V40 (2016)

Hope the above info gives you a detailed picture of my profile. I have been specifically worried about getting references as largely I have been self employed for the last 1 year and literally have my family as my client. My previous job stints should get me 1 stellar recommendations. I am also worried as my self employment experience does not strictly qualify as professional work experience, will I be on the losing end? And with the current profile, do I have a chance at Insead/ Tuck?

Regards
Nitish
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for sharing your profile. The international skills seem like a better fit for your profile than the others.If you wanted to aim for the others you probably would need a slightly higher GMAT score to best compete
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: ISB '18
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
u will definitely get a Good business school but 1st u should decide whether u want to live in India post MBA or Abroad!
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Nitish,

You have a great academic profile, and it looks like you are doing things on the extracurricular side that are impactful. I can start to see the threads of your story emerging, but the most important thing for you is to spend some time thinking about how each professional move that you made is ultimately leading you to your post-MBA goals. In my view, your chances are the highest at LBS, INSEAD, and ISB, but if you spend some time formulating a concrete story, then I also think that Tuck could be a target school for you. If you'd like to discuss further through a free consultation, feel free to reach out to me at info@ivygroupe.com or at https://www.ivygroupe.com/.

Best,
Shaifali
GMAT Club Bot