It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 09:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation: 4 years biotech exp., trans community involvement

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile evaluation: 4 years biotech exp., trans community involvement [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 05:37
Hi folks--I am only just starting to consider the idea of going to business school. My main question is not so much about my chances, but what tier of school (or specific schools) I should be targeting in general. Thanks for any and all advice!

Nationality: US citizen, US education, all work experience in US
Age at time of application: 29 (27 now)
Goal: Biotech/pharma strategy and management consulting. I want to build on my current work into more high-level management within the industry to help pave the way for the most futuristic and life-saving technologies. I am very passionate about the future of the biotech industry and believe I will be able to construct a good narrative in my essays that conveys this.

Education: Engineering degree at a flagship state school. School overall is ranked #60, engineering school is ranked #24. Did my M.S. in the same program at the same school, resulting in one research publication in a decent journal and a thesis (originally was a PhD student but decided to leave of my own accord)
GPA: 3.2 undergrad, 3.5 grad
Extracurriculars: No extracurriculars, but in undergrad, a ton of on campus work experience (I put myself through school) as well as working as a resident assistant and holding a summer management position. In grad school, no extracurriculars.

Work experience:
Continuous on-campus work (mostly worked 2 jobs at any given time, few periods where I dropped down to 1 for a few months) for all of undergrad
1 undergrad internship at a diagnostics device company
2 years working as a paid research assistant for my master's degree
After my master's, two years as a process engineer at a large cutting-edge diagnostics device company (very well known within the industry, kind of has a google/apple reputation). Engineer 1 level.
At time of application, will have been in my current role for 2.5 years. I work at a smaller but very innovative pharmaceutical company as an engineer doing resource and scheduling simulations and data analysis to drive high-level strategy and decision-making. Engineer 2 level. Very unlikely to get any promotions in this time (typically takes 4+ years to go from engineer 2 to senior engineer in this company)
No management experience.
Six sigma green belt (just certified through ASQ)

Demographic: Middle-class caucasian male, transgender (genetically female, transitioned to male). Openly trans as well, not "stealth."
Volunteer experience: Extensive involvement with trans community in last two years--pro bono legal research to support trans individuals, guiding/mentoring younger trans individuals through transition process, working a trans-specific suicide hotline
Other hobbies: Competitive weightlifter (I'm not amazing or anything, I compete but I'm not some high level athlete), very amateur writer (two finished novels but not good enough to even try publishing)

Recommendations: Should be decent but no rave reviews
Essays: Should be good to very good
GMAT: Hoping for a very good score--I have only taken a few unofficial practice tests but have not gotten a question wrong yet. Standardized testing is my one strong point. GMAT writing section will be a wild card though, I will practice those as much as possible but I don't have a good idea at this moment of how well I stack up.

Thank you again, please let me know if there is any other info I should include!

Last edited by SchoolTierQuestion on 27 Aug 2017, 07:50, edited 1 time in total.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 184 [1], given: 76

Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Profile evaluation: 4 years biotech exp., trans community involvement [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 07:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
You have good qualifications to start with but then the diversity factor with the Trans thing is absolutely going to help you out. I'm wondering why the recommendations would not be rave reviews. Are you serious about that? I get the feeling that you are this compulsively humble person. Are you from the Midwest or something? :-) and then on top of that with the test score situation being what you expected to be, that really indicates to me that you should try for the top schools. That said a profile evaluation is not useful until we actually have a score but if your prediction comes true then I think you should apply broadly within the top 10, if you choose to use a consultant broadly within the top 20. It's vital that you bring that special sauce factor to separate you from the other people with wonderful qualifications. the diversity that you bring is very interesting but I definitely want to make sure that story is told with enough depth and context. and also it's important for a consultant to help you select/suggest anecdotes for your recommenders as well. Lastly, to show impact/results on your resume score, which I very rarely see honestly.

http://MBAPrepCoach.COM

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 184 [1], given: 76

Intern
Intern

Profile evaluation: 4 years biotech exp., trans community involvement [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 07:59
Thanks for the feedback Farrell!

Hah I wish I could say it was humility--my ego's far too big for the Midwest :-) My current manager and I just don't see eye-to-eye, and while she is highly ethical and would never throw me under the bus in her recommendation, I don't think I will get much more than "he performed the duties of his position well and was a positive addition to our team." As far as other recommendations, they'll all be from people who were a few years in my past, so they probably won't remember me as well and won't vouch for me as strongly as they would've if our connection was more recent.

I will focus on locking in a great GMAT score for the next few months, and then start constructing a narrative that incorporates the diversity factor as well as goals--once I get to that point I may contact you for some help! It's been a long time since I had to write an application essay, I'm probably underestimating just how rusty I'll be. Thank you again for the insights!

Expert Post
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 76

Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Profile evaluation: 4 years biotech exp., trans community involvement [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 08:09
You are welcome! If you're not expecting an exceptional recommendation from your current manager then don't involve her. I know this seems to be antithetical to everything you hear but schools want the lowdown on you of course so they're going to say submit a recommendation from your manager like a parrot. But here's the secret you don't actually have to follow that advice. I've had great success getting people into great schools and their manager was totally out of the loop. One of my candidates submitted a recommendation from someone he works with at nonprofit where he is the chair, and also from a peer who is kind of maybe like an internal client. The most important thing is that they are a champion of yours coachable and it's always best if they are good storytellers. If they're not storytellers then coachable :-) they need to know you well to have observed you and to really see you if you know what I mean. Think broadly about who you can involve here nonprofit any type of community involvement you have like with the Trans Community I think that would actually be a slam dunk. Hope that I have talked to you off the ledge here. Good luck to you and I look forward to hearing from you if you decide to work with someone. :-)

http://MBAPrepCoach.COM

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 76

Re: Profile evaluation: 4 years biotech exp., trans community involvement   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2017, 08:09

Profile evaluation: 4 years biotech exp., trans community involvement

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap