Last visit was: 16 Jul 2024, 02:57 It is currently 16 Jul 2024, 02:57
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 312 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1126 [0]
Given Kudos: 1770
GPA: 4
Send PM
Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey srip53465

I am Priyanka, Client Manager at ARINGO. Speaking about your profile, it's clear you have a lot to offer. Your background is impressive - a strong degree from a top university (NTU still holds weight), a strong GMAT score, and some really cool work experience at Oracle. Especially that promotion and leadership role you took.

The fact that you're a Third Culture Kid with a global perspective is a huge plus for business schools these days. They love diversity, and your experience living in different countries definitely adds to that.

Now, there are a couple of things we can talk about in more detail. Your GPA might be a bit lower than what some top schools typically see, but explaining the burnout in your optional essay is a smart move. Also, focusing on some specific achievements with quantifiable results from your Oracle projects would really make your application shine. While those high school activities are awesome, the admissions folks might be more interested in your recent experiences.

Overall, you've got a strong shot at those T15 MBA programs. To give you the best possible advice, I'd love to see your CV and chat more about your specific goals.

Click here to contact us.

Email: priyankak@aringo.com
Good Luck!­
The Red Pen Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
srip53465 wrote:
Hi GMAT Club!

Requesting a profile evaluation, looking at matriculation in 2025, so all the following information will be details at the time of matriculation.

Background:

• Nationality: Indian
  • Undergraduate Education: Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science, Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore, T15 in the World while I was there. The rankings have gone down since I've graduated but it is still in the Top 30.
  • Specializations: Artificial Intelligence and Data Science
  • GPA: Manually calculated (weighted the grade for every module in the US scale) to be 3.27/4 in the US Scale.
  • Notable Challenges: Experienced burnout and personal issues during my second and third years, which impacted GPA, came back strong in my final year. (Thinking of writing an extra optional essay to explain this)
  • GMAT Focus Edition Score: 735.
Work Experience:

• 3 years at Oracle in technical consulting
    • Highlights: Was initially recruited as a contractor but converted with promotion to full-time payroll in record time (3.5 months), expecting a promotion in the next couple of months again.
    • Projects: 4-5 significant projects, ranging a wide variety of solutions, designs, and technologies, including a major ongoing large-scale government project (for a foreign country).
    • Roles: Significant contributions both as a developer and as an unofficial scrum lead (official scrum lead did not have much technical knowledge so he handed over the responsibility of handling communication, integration, and teamwork across the various streams to me), despite being the junior-most team member (joined this project with 1 YOE and everybody else on the project team has 6+ YOE, meaning I was 'leading' people significantly more experienced in years than myself). I believe I can secure positive letters of recommendation from the official scrum lead and PM for this project.
    • Part-time: Provided technical and strategic consulting for a startup for a few months part-time before I started my full-time role.
Extracurricular Activities:

• University:
    • Event Manager: Institute of Engineers and Technology, organized multiple successful campus events and industry sessions.
  • High School:
    • Captain of the Varsity Football (soccer) and Softball teams.
    • President of the Chess Club, organized and held the very first inter-school tournament our school had.
    • Member of Helping Hands: A community service group that would teach underprivileged children math and English.
    • Not sure how I would provide any evidence for these since it's been 7+ years since I was in HS and all of my teachers have since moved on, but then again I'm not sure how relevant my high school extracurriculars are.
  • Other Interests: Sports, video games, reading, photography, etc.
Career Goals:

• Transition from hands-on technical roles to business consulting, management, or marketing. Took business in high school and it was my favorite subject. Took some business electives in my undergrad as well. I enjoy the strategic side of a practice more than the technical side.
Target Schools:

• Considering (T15) MBA programs in Europe and the USA, INSEAD, ESSEC, etc.
Other Aspects:

• Global Perspective: I am a Third Culture Kid (TCK), have lived in 6 different countries and multiple different cities. Did my high schooling outside of India in the IBDP curriculum, have interacted with people from various countries, cultures, and backgrounds.
  • English Proficiency: I don't think I require to provide any proof of English proficiency since my UG was completely in English, but regardless I took the IELTS without any prep for my UG admissions and I got a 8.5 band, so if I need to take it again, this is no issue.
I understand that my YOE and undergrad GPA are below average for the best of the best schools, but I hope my experience within the 3 years I have and my GMAT FE scores make up for them.

Thanks for your time!­

Hi srip53465,

Your profile is an overall good read. Your strong GMAT FE scores, undergraduate degree, and work experience will support your applications to T15 business schools.

We would love to discuss your profile and approach to applications over a call, where our MBA experts will help you align your essays based on your short and long-term goals for each of your preferred universities. Our MBA consultants have helped multiple clients submit successful international applications to M7 and other T15 business schools.

You can schedule a free call with the team here.

Alternatively, you can also connect with them via call at +91 7780769732­
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 183
Send PM
Expert Reply

Quote:

• Undergraduate Education: Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science, Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore, T15 in the World while I was there. The rankings have gone down since I've graduated but it is still in the Top 30.
  • GPA: Manually calculated (weighted the grade for every module in the US scale) to be 3.27/4 in the US Scale.
  • Notable Challenges: Experienced burnout and personal issues during my second and third years, which impacted GPA, came back strong in my final year. (Thinking of writing an extra optional essay to explain this)
Work Experience:
    • Highlights: Was initially recruited as a contractor but converted with promotion to full-time payroll in record time (3.5 months), expecting a promotion in the next couple of months again.
    • Projects: 4-5 significant projects, ranging a wide variety of solutions, designs, and technologies, including a major ongoing large-scale government project (for a foreign country).
    • Roles: Significant contributions both as a developer and as an unofficial scrum lead (official scrum lead did not have much technical knowledge so he handed over the responsibility of handling communication, integration, and teamwork across the various streams to me), despite being the junior-most team member (joined this project with 1 YOE and everybody else on the project team has 6+ YOE, meaning I was 'leading' people significantly more experienced in years than myself). I believe I can secure positive letters of recommendation from the official scrum lead and PM for this project.
    • Part-time: Provided technical and strategic consulting for a startup for a few months part-time before I started my full-time role.
  • University:
    • Event Manager: Institute of Engineers and Technology, organized multiple successful campus events and industry sessions.
Career Goals:
Transition from hands-on technical roles to business consulting, management, or marketing. Took business in high school and it was my favorite subject. Took some business electives in my undergrad as well. I enjoy the strategic side of a practice more than the technical side.
Target Schools:
Considering (T15) MBA programs in Europe and the USA, INSEAD, ESSEC, etc.
Other Aspects:

Global Perspective: I am a Third Culture Kid (TCK), have lived in 6 different countries and multiple different cities. Did my high schooling outside of India in the IBDP curriculum, have interacted with people from various countries, cultures, and backgrounds.
  •  I took the IELTS without any prep for my UG admissions and I got a 8.5 band, so if I need to take it again, this is no issue.
I understand that my YOE and undergrad GPA are below average for the best of the best schools, but I hope my experience within the 3 years I have and my GMAT FE scores make up for them.

Thanks for your time!­Age: 25

­
Hi srip53465, 

Here's my take:
The academics look alright- we will have to see if the lower performance did any damage really (failed subjects, very low scores etc.) and perhaps answering the optional essay will make sense- will need to understand this better before commenting. Your GMAt score, however, is stellar and should help to explain that you are academically strong.
There's a lot of leadership element in your work experience, which I particularly like. However, there are challenges that come along with leadership- so it will really help to talk about the entire gamut of your leadership experience in your essays- the trials and tribulations that one faces in managing senior people and emerging a winner with their support. This essence of leadership can make or break your essay writing. Secondly, as you rightly pointed out, having your manager recommend you and speak to your leadership capability would be important. 
I'd like to understand whether the Oracle experience is in SE Asia. That will further strengthen your application. I agree with the range of programs you have mentioned in your post. I would just add IESE there and of course, you will have to explore and finalize b-schools from the T15 list.
Your goals definitely need more thought. What you have written is a very vague idea. Although b-schools are okay if you wish to explore new avenues while at b-school, but they want you to have clarity on both short term and long term goals when you apply. I see PM as a viable path for the kind of work you have done and with the desired role you have described - however the goal should come from you and what you see yourself doing in the future.
Regarding your ECAs- do note, what you are doing currently will be most relevant. B-schools pay attention to your ECAs while at college and post college- but not what you did in high school. You haven't mentioned what you have indulged in post college - this could be volunteering, community initiatives (both in your city and at work).
Lastly, don't bother retaking IELTS.  

­Namita Garg,
Founder, MBA Decoder
Email: contact@mbadecoder.com
Reach out to us for a Profile Evaluation
Helping applicants achieve their MBA dreams since 2011­
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Hi There,

You have a good profile - good undergrad. Decent work experience, good impact at work.  And decent EC's.  Good global exposure as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about your GPA.  Your GPA is stellar.

I would caution you about the fact that you would be over-represented, given ethnicity, and profession. These would be your primary bottlenecks.

Other than that, I would encourage a T15 application, with a reasonable failsafe plan in place.

Please feel free to reach out if you want to chat more: https://bit.ly/GM_AugAcd_Profile_Evaluation.

Best,
Karthik
srip53465 wrote:
Hi GMAT Club!

Requesting a profile evaluation, looking at matriculation in 2025, so all the following information will be details at the time of matriculation.

Background:

• Nationality: Indian
Work Experience:

• University:
  • High School:
    • Captain of the Varsity Football (soccer) and Softball teams.
    • President of the Chess Club, organized and held the very first inter-school tournament our school had.
    • Member of Helping Hands: A community service group that would teach underprivileged children math and English.
    • Not sure how I would provide any evidence for these since it's been 7+ years since I was in HS and all of my teachers have since moved on, but then again I'm not sure how relevant my high school extracurriculars are.
Career Goals:

• Transition from hands-on technical roles to business consulting, management, or marketing. Took business in high school and it was my favorite subject. Took some business electives in my undergrad as well. I enjoy the strategic side of a practice more than the technical side.
Target Schools:

• Considering (T15) MBA programs in Europe and the USA, INSEAD, ESSEC, etc.
Other Aspects:

• Global Perspective: I am a Third Culture Kid (TCK), have lived in 6 different countries and multiple different cities. Did my high schooling outside of India in the IBDP curriculum, have interacted with people from various countries, cultures, and backgrounds.
  • English Proficiency: I don't think I require to provide any proof of English proficiency since my UG was completely in English, but regardless I took the IELTS without any prep for my UG admissions and I got a 8.5 band, so if I need to take it again, this is no issue.

Thanks for your time!­

­
GMAT Club Bot