Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 285
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation 730 Gmat/Engineer/indian [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Happy to help man!
Looks like you have your game plan set up for you, so that's good. Because at least now you can make all your decisions in function of improving your profile. For the GMAT, go with what feels good. Feel like you can do better NOW? And you have a bit of time? Then there is no reason at all for you not to get it out of the way. The score is good for five years, so you might as well...

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
PGN wrote:
Hi Team,

I know I am probably jumping the gun here but still would be glad if you all can help me with your insights :

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?

Currently working as a ERP (SAP) developer at one of TATA firms with my client being TATA MOTORS.As a developer,I am responsible for visiting business(vendor as well as Client),understand their requirements , submit a Solution Proposal , approve it and then implement the same in ERP. I am responsible for the Production planning(PP) as well as the sales and Distribution (SD ) module.On deputation and will complete one year at TATA MOTORS this december.

2) Your GMAT.

Not given the GMAT yet . Have been preparing for CAT exams(one of the toughest exams in INDIA for getting Admissions to the IIMs')off and on for a few months and after being humiliated by CAT for the second time ,I just took up a PowerPrep test and scored 730.Have decided to give the GMAT next year after a thorough preparation of 6-7 months so as to leave nothing to chance. Expect scores to be 770+.

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.

10th - 94 percent.
12th - 75 percent :( (Did my college(11th and 12th grade) from the best and top ranked govt. college from my state,which accepts students with cut-off being 91 percent in 10th . )
Undergraduation : Bachelors in Computer Science from Birla Institute Of Technology with a GPA of 7.02 on a 10 scale
Birla Institute Of Technology has been ranked 13th in India by India today,15th by rediff and 10th by other magazines

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.

Loads of extra curriculars at school level (many quizzes, debates etc). Have won the first Prize in an inter school level competition,have a distinction certificate from MACMILLAN PUBLISHERS Australia in an interstate aptitude assessment test.

Moderate ECs' at college level which include 4 years of Volunteering for the National Social Service( a highly funded Govt. Of India initiative),teaching underprivileged students, construction shelter homes and in general having being the committee member for different festivals.Other service include regular blood donation to Hospitals all over the state.

NIL ECs' after college/during employment : 7 days of office doesn't leave me with enough time and energy to involve in anything.Though I am humbled to say that exercises and discipline saw me from being an obese(110 kgs ) to moderately fit now (80 kgs) and its where I had been striving hard for the past 8 months and it paid :-D .Have been involved in blood donation camps here at TATA MOTORS.

Currently I am learning Cantonese from an institute. Knowing English,Odiya,Bengali,Hindi and Cantonese will propel me to a position where I speak the language of over 30 percent of the world's population.

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.

None as of now, though I am at the fundamentals of Supply Chain Management courses from COURSERA. Plan to have a certificate by next year end.

6) Your target programs. Please note that my experience is with the top MBA programs (FT, PT, EMBA, Sloan Fellows) around the world. If the programs you are targeting are not listed here, I may not respond due to lack of time.

It was love at first sight with Supply chain management and logistics management. My daily work revolves around these where i develop solutions for TATA MOTORS.
At present I am fairly certain of where I want to be (I can pinpoint exact positions for my ST and LT goals). Companies (Renault,toyota,amazon,TATA,Mahindra,Harley-davidson , Boeing et all) have highly invested in SAP ERP and the gains are massive from these.

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.

This is where I am floundering a bit.
I have shortlisted 8 colleges to apply (towards the end of 2014 after giving Gmat,so that I would have 3 years of Work-ex by the time I join colleges if any)
List in order of preference is :

Kellog school (MMM program) --- this is what suites me best.Their website says :- "MMM offers a host of hands-on learning experiences inside and outside the classroom, including the capstone Integration Project. The Integration Project has students focus on end-to-end solutions at major corporations, such as Nissan, Harley Davidson, John Deere, Mayo Clinic, Herman Miller, Kohler, Wrigley, Vera Bradley and Abbott."

and this is what interests me. I have been implementing end to end cycles of PP and SD for about a year now and in an manufacturing/automobile sector.

Fuqua

MIT (LGO )
Yale

Stern

Tepper

Booth.

Will be applying to Stanford and Wharton just for the heck of it.

8) Your post-MBA goal.

Well i can probably write an Essay on this, but will cut to the chase. Short term goal is to be operations Director/SCM director in a Manufacturing firm (preferably Automobile sector) while long term would be the position of a Chief technology officer(CTO) at an automobile firm.Super long term goal are something which is close to my heart . I will gain immensely from the knowledge and experience from handling the operations/Logistics of a large organisation which can be effectively put to use for my Super LTG.( i know exactly what i am going to do but will keep it to myself :-D )

Weaknesses at this point :

1. 1 year of work-ex though since its only by 2015 I plan to join a Bschool.
2. Lack of leadership experience : - This is something i can't help. My company follows a policy where one is promoted only after 3 years to a team Lead.Though i have leadership experience at personal levels
3.Lack of International Work Ex : - Since I am already working at the Client site,there is little scope here. Though My company also has clients like Jaguar,landrover,crysler etc, their portfolio is relatively meek. TATA MOTORS contributes more than 80 percent to my firm's revenues and the scale of operations are huge. Hence Want to stick with this.

Any thoughts ?

You have a decent profile. It is good to plan early. You have time on your side. Get a good gmat score. Work hard in your current organization and deliver results. Involve yourselfin non-work related activities. Don’t just volunteer but do something you are very passionate about.

To be honest, you have done many things but you don’t have many leadership roles to prove your passion towards a topic.

You can get into any of those schools if you can develop a good profile in the next 3 years. You might want to read the following ebook: How to get into a top business school.

Good Luck!
https://www.interviewbay.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
InterviewBay2 wrote:
PGN wrote:
Hi Team,

I know I am probably jumping the gun here but still would be glad if you all can help me with your insights :

1) Brief description of your full-time work experience. What do you do?

Currently working as a ERP (SAP) developer at one of TATA firms with my client being TATA MOTORS.As a developer,I am responsible for visiting business(vendor as well as Client),understand their requirements , submit a Solution Proposal , approve it and then implement the same in ERP. I am responsible for the Production planning(PP) as well as the sales and Distribution (SD ) module.On deputation and will complete one year at TATA MOTORS this december.

2) Your GMAT.

Not given the GMAT yet . Have been preparing for CAT exams(one of the toughest exams in INDIA for getting Admissions to the IIMs')off and on for a few months and after being humiliated by CAT for the second time ,I just took up a PowerPrep test and scored 730.Have decided to give the GMAT next year after a thorough preparation of 6-7 months so as to leave nothing to chance. Expect scores to be 770+.

3) College info: The name of the college, your GPA or grade average, your major, year of graduation. For any graduate degrees, please provide the same info. If you grades are low, please indicate if there were extenuating circumstances.

10th - 94 percent.
12th - 75 percent :( (Did my college(11th and 12th grade) from the best and top ranked govt. college from my state,which accepts students with cut-off being 91 percent in 10th . )
Undergraduation : Bachelors in Computer Science from Birla Institute Of Technology with a GPA of 7.02 on a 10 scale
Birla Institute Of Technology has been ranked 13th in India by India today,15th by rediff and 10th by other magazines

4) Significant college and post-college extra-curricular activities or community service, especially leadership experience.

Loads of extra curriculars at school level (many quizzes, debates etc). Have won the first Prize in an inter school level competition,have a distinction certificate from MACMILLAN PUBLISHERS Australia in an interstate aptitude assessment test.

Moderate ECs' at college level which include 4 years of Volunteering for the National Social Service( a highly funded Govt. Of India initiative),teaching underprivileged students, construction shelter homes and in general having being the committee member for different festivals.Other service include regular blood donation to Hospitals all over the state.

NIL ECs' after college/during employment : 7 days of office doesn't leave me with enough time and energy to involve in anything.Though I am humbled to say that exercises and discipline saw me from being an obese(110 kgs ) to moderately fit now (80 kgs) and its where I had been striving hard for the past 8 months and it paid :-D .Have been involved in blood donation camps here at TATA MOTORS.

Currently I am learning Cantonese from an institute. Knowing English,Odiya,Bengali,Hindi and Cantonese will propel me to a position where I speak the language of over 30 percent of the world's population.

5) Important certifications like CFA, CPA, FSA, or CA.

None as of now, though I am at the fundamentals of Supply Chain Management courses from COURSERA. Plan to have a certificate by next year end.

6) Your target programs. Please note that my experience is with the top MBA programs (FT, PT, EMBA, Sloan Fellows) around the world. If the programs you are targeting are not listed here, I may not respond due to lack of time.

It was love at first sight with Supply chain management and logistics management. My daily work revolves around these where i develop solutions for TATA MOTORS.
At present I am fairly certain of where I want to be (I can pinpoint exact positions for my ST and LT goals). Companies (Renault,toyota,amazon,TATA,Mahindra,Harley-davidson , Boeing et all) have highly invested in SAP ERP and the gains are massive from these.

7) When you plan to apply? Please specify round and application cycle, for example R1 2013-14 or R3 2012-13.

This is where I am floundering a bit.
I have shortlisted 8 colleges to apply (towards the end of 2014 after giving Gmat,so that I would have 3 years of Work-ex by the time I join colleges if any)
List in order of preference is :

Kellog school (MMM program) --- this is what suites me best.Their website says :- "MMM offers a host of hands-on learning experiences inside and outside the classroom, including the capstone Integration Project. The Integration Project has students focus on end-to-end solutions at major corporations, such as Nissan, Harley Davidson, John Deere, Mayo Clinic, Herman Miller, Kohler, Wrigley, Vera Bradley and Abbott."

and this is what interests me. I have been implementing end to end cycles of PP and SD for about a year now and in an manufacturing/automobile sector.

Fuqua

MIT (LGO )
Yale

Stern

Tepper

Booth.

Will be applying to Stanford and Wharton just for the heck of it.

8) Your post-MBA goal.

Well i can probably write an Essay on this, but will cut to the chase. Short term goal is to be operations Director/SCM director in a Manufacturing firm (preferably Automobile sector) while long term would be the position of a Chief technology officer(CTO) at an automobile firm.Super long term goal are something which is close to my heart . I will gain immensely from the knowledge and experience from handling the operations/Logistics of a large organisation which can be effectively put to use for my Super LTG.( i know exactly what i am going to do but will keep it to myself :-D )

Weaknesses at this point :

1. 1 year of work-ex though since its only by 2015 I plan to join a Bschool.
2. Lack of leadership experience : - This is something i can't help. My company follows a policy where one is promoted only after 3 years to a team Lead.Though i have leadership experience at personal levels
3.Lack of International Work Ex : - Since I am already working at the Client site,there is little scope here. Though My company also has clients like Jaguar,landrover,crysler etc, their portfolio is relatively meek. TATA MOTORS contributes more than 80 percent to my firm's revenues and the scale of operations are huge. Hence Want to stick with this.

Any thoughts ?

You have a decent profile. It is good to plan early. You have time on your side. Get a good gmat score. Work hard in your current organization and deliver results. Involve yourselfin non-work related activities. Don’t just volunteer but do something you are very passionate about.

To be honest, you have done many things but you don’t have many leadership roles to prove your passion towards a topic.

You can get into any of those schools if you can develop a good profile in the next 3 years. You might want to read the following ebook: How to get into a top business school.

Good Luck!

Many many thanks for your reply.
Yes I do think I have a plan(if I may call that) where I can demonstrate my Leadership capabilities.In fact I have been working on it for quite sometime.Lets hope for the best !

And again many many thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
BITS Pilani's a legit school, and it should be considered as prestigious as an IIT (hopefully the adcoms are aware as well).

Good luck w/ the GMAT and mba apps bro.
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts