GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Aug 2019, 01:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation: African-American male in consulting

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.1
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Profile Evaluation: African-American male in consulting  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2019, 19:33
Nationality: African-American from the Midwest
Sex: Male
Languages: English (Native), Spanish (Professional Proficiency, worked for an IB firm in Spain in my undergrad)
Education: Bachelors in Economics with a Math Emphasis and a Business Minor from Top Big 10 school (received a full-tuition merit-based scholarship for undergrad)
GPA: 3.1/4.0
First three semesters I finished with a 2.17, 2.3, and 2.5. During that time I struggled with a sleep condition I was unaware of (a very difficult time in my life then). By my fourth semester, I was diagnosed and treated. Was able to salvage my GPA during the last 5 semesters of my undergrad.
GMAT: 700

Working experience:
43 months at matriculation working for a boutique technology consulting firm(300~employees) in the Midwest, performing and leading ERP implementations and business process mapping for small to medium-sized firms in all industries.

International exposure:
Worked in Spain for a top IB firm for 4 months in my undergrad.
Of central African ethnicity, born in Africa

Extra-Curricular & Volunteering:
Undergrad:
Held a leadership role in multiple student organizations, a professional business fraternity, and a social fraternity.

Post-undergrad:
Big Brother for 3+ years for Big Brothers Big Sisters, spending 15 hours a month with my little brother, encouraging excellence and providing mentorship.

Achievements:
Top 10 performer (yearly production) at the firm

Post-MBA goals:
Go back into IT/Systems Consulting in a senior, strategic role with aspirations to be a senior director or partner for a firm. Want to increase diversity, especially African-American representation in business through my platform and experiences. I believe holding a senior role in a firm gives me the opportunity to encourage diversity in the workplace, as well as help businesses growth with high-level strategic solutions

Schools that I'm applying for:
Michigan Ross, Darden Virginia, UNC Kenan-Flagler, UT-Austin McCombs, Yale School of Management
I will apply through the Consortium for all those schools.

I wanted to post my profile evaluation early to see if there are things I can do now, within the next two years, to improve my application.
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile Evaluation: African-American male in consulting  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 07:52
Hi there!
I think you have a good shot at those schools & it's good that you're thinking about all of this early! In terms of some top line thoughts on how to improve your candidacy, if you can improve your GMAT score to the 720+ range that would be awesome. You can use the optional essay to explain the sleep issue that affected your GPA, but a higher GMAT score will also go a long way towards offsetting that & convincing them that you are up for the rigors of b-school.

From a work perspective, you want to get as many accomplishments under your belt as possible between now & when you apply & if you can get a promotion all the better. Look for opportunities to gain leadership experience both at work & in your extracurriculars. Keep up the good work with Big Brothers Big Sisters (they like to see consistency). Maybe there's opportunity to also serve in a leadership role there or in another organization?

I'd also work to refine your post-MBA goals. If you want to increase diversity that would mean being in an HR role rather than a strategy or partner role. Yes, you can work indirectly to increase diversity, but that would be a secondary thing -- the adcom will want to see what you plan to accomplish in your actual job & the specific business impact you plan to make. You'll also want to be ready to speak more specifically to why this is your passion. What are the expected trends in this space in the next 10-12 years, what will that translate to in terms of opportunities & problems for the companies in that space, and what's your vision for how you plan to help your consulting clients tackle those? Your post-MBA goals are critical since your argument for why you need the MBA rests on those.

Your demographics will definitely add to class mix & applying through the consortium is a good idea.

If you'd like some more specific support definitely reach out to us. We offer an Advanced Planning service for applicants like yourself who are thinking ahead & want to do everything they can to get into the best school possible! If you email Claudia at claudia@admissionado.com she can share the details! You can also see some details about it on our site here: https://admissionado.com/mba/mba-advanc ... g-program/

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.1
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2019, 20:28
Hi Jon,

This insight is very valuable. The comments regarding my post-MBA goals were especially valuable. I will take some time to reflect and work on articulating my post-MBA goals.

Posted from my mobile device
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 19:23
Glad it was helpful!

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Profile Evaluation: African-American male in consulting

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado