GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 25 Apr 2018, 07:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation: Apply or Retake GMAT

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth PT '21
GMAT 1: 720 Q55 V57
GPA: 3.3
Profile Evaluation: Apply or Retake GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2018, 04:29
Hello,

I’m looking for some advice on whether to retake GMAT or proceed with my applications.

Target Business Schools:
- CMU Tepper (Online Part Time)
- UT McCombs (Evening Part Time)
- Rice Jones (Part Time)

Background/Profile:
- GMAT 580 (V 35/76%) (Q 35/28%)
- Dual Undergrad BBA CIS / BBA Managerial Sciences (3.0 GPA) from Georgia State University
- 6 years of working experience. Project management management experience between AT&T and Hewlett-Packard with progressive responsibility. Also have experience developing and selling my own app.
- 30 y/o AA
- Very little quant work in job responsibilities to date
- C+ in finance undergrad

Candidacy Differentiators
- Patent Owner
- Collegiate Athlete 2 yrs.

In short, is my quant so low that I should retake again to be competitive in these programs? I’ve taken the GMAT 5 Times last year and scored a best of 580. My highest practice score is 640. Open to candid responses here and thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Cheers,

AV
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Re: Profile Evaluation: Apply or Retake GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 02:28
I see little chances of improving your GMAT if you have already taken it 5 times and scored the same. Its time to move on. You should apply and use the application strategically to demonstrate that you have the strengths b-schools want to test through the standardized tests.

GMAT score doesn't matter a great deal for the part-time programs.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation click here

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 14:42
Thanks for sharing your background. GMATs will be much less Important for the schools you are applying to especially since it seems you don’t really have the track record to really expect much of an improvement on the GMAT. So focus on your application and put your best foot forward there

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
VP
VP
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 16:42
If you haven't done anything different in between those five times I think it makes sense that you're not doing any better. I'd recommend that you get into a study group online or in-person get a tutor do something different.

You don't need to have a massive increase as a part-time applicant but I think that a 28% Quant might limit your chances especially because you don't have a quant oriented job and you have a C+ in finance.

Your main task here is to prove to them that you're not going to flounder in the course work and I think that you should put that up front and center in terms of your priorities.

That could be you actually taking some classes at a quality University in accounting and stats or whatever.

Simplest way would be to do MBA math which is an online self-paced program that sends the transcript to the school. If you can get through MBA Mass I think they would be more confident that you could get through the courses. It takes about 12 to 20 hours. (I talk about this class so much on gmatclub youd think that I'm getting a spiff from them or something.)

Do you have any grades from undergrad that speak to your quant abilities? You did major CIS so I'm wondering if maybe you did some calculus, some advanced math?

I think I will say do MBA math and just start there. If you get that done they will know that you are okay to take their classes. If that is a struggle then you really need to focus on getting a tutor and getting this handled. Because there would be reason to be concerned that you could fall behind.

That said I don't want to put too much emphasis on this it's kind of a limiting factor but you'll still need to put together a really good showing on the application of course. I would hire professional to work with on this.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Expert Post
VP
VP
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 16:49
As a side note, I would really urge you to consider the in-person options. I'm not sure what your goals are but I think that establishing a network is really one of the most important things you can take out of an MBA program. I have a client who did his BA online (UMASS) and wanted to do was MBA online as well....we got him into UNC, but eventually I talked him off the ledge and he is now doing the Saturday program at CBS and is extremely grateful that he's doing this in person; and feels that it's made a huge difference.

Farrell Dyan
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Profile Evaluation: Apply or Retake GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 19:31
avital1 wrote:
Hello,

I’m looking for some advice on whether to retake GMAT or proceed with my applications.

Target Business Schools:
- CMU Tepper (Online Part Time)
- UT McCombs (Evening Part Time)
- Rice Jones (Part Time)

Background/Profile:
- GMAT 580 (V 35/76%) (Q 35/28%)
- Dual Undergrad BBA CIS / BBA Managerial Sciences (3.0 GPA) from Georgia State University
- 6 years of working experience. Project management management experience between AT&T and Hewlett-Packard with progressive responsibility. Also have experience developing and selling my own app.
- 30 y/o AA
- Very little quant work in job responsibilities to date
- C+ in finance undergrad

Candidacy Differentiators
- Patent Owner
- Collegiate Athlete 2 yrs.

In short, is my quant so low that I should retake again to be competitive in these programs? I’ve taken the GMAT 5 Times last year and scored a best of 580. My highest practice score is 640. Open to candid responses here and thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Cheers,

AV

AV,

I certainly understand the frustration after taking the test 5 times. That said, I recommend not giving up if you are targeting the range of schools indicated. While it could work out with the current score, it is low for those programs so it really depends on how much of a sure thing you want in the process. I recommend trying a new strategy to prep for the GMAT and giving it another shot. If you get 640 on practice tests, perhaps you can do better. Even something in the low to mid 600s will do a lot more for you than your current score. Take a look at the class profiles for these schools as well.

Good luck!!

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Profile Evaluation: Apply or Retake GMAT   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2018, 19:31

Profile Evaluation: Apply or Retake GMAT

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap