GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2019, 04:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation - Applying Next Year (2020)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Evaluation - Applying Next Year (2020)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2019, 13:43
Hello,

I would really appreciate it if you could evaluate my profile. My dream school is Cornell - Johnson and I'd be applying next year 2020. My career goal after graduation is to transition into investment banking and work for large bulge bracket bank (JPM, Goldman Sachs, BofAML, UBS, etc.) I think the small class sizes and the proximity to NYC would really benefit me and their investment banking immersion program is well known for preparing MBA candidates for a career in IB.

I will be applying when I am 30 years old. American - Male - White

I transferred majors and schools a couple of times through undergrad and and worked two jobs throughout as well. Because of this, and some credits not transferring, I did not graduate until I was 25 years old. I was always in good academic standing throughout undergrad.

Education: B.S. Finance - Undergrad GPA: 3.0/4.0 - from a large state school in the SW United States that has a top 35 business school.

- CFA charterholder
- GMAT Score: 720

Work Experience (4 - 5 Years): First two years after graduation I worked as a financial advisor for a large wealth management company (Morgan Stanley, Fidelity, Vanguard, BofA Merrill Lynch, Wells Fargo) last two years I have worked as a portfolio manager for a large private wealth management company (JPM, BofA Merrill Lynch, Wells Fargo) and was promoted once.

-In my current role I support Senior Portfolio Managers with a combined assets under management of $1.5 billion with customized investment management services to high net worth individuals, families, and foundations.

I have extensive volunteering hours through my company and local community.

Other schools I'll be applying to: Ross, Darden, and Stern.

Thank you so much for your expertise!
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Profile Evaluation - Applying Next Year (2020)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2019, 11:19
Hi amk1126,

Thank you for your post. Based on what you've shared, I'd say that your profile is generally in the mix for the schools you're targeting, but you will have to execute very well and overcome a few obstacles. The challenges will be differentiating yourself as part of a very common / traditional pool of applicants, convincing them why you need an MBA at this point of your career (and on the higher side of the age curve), why you want to transition from investment management to investment banking, and why you fit / what you can uniquely contribute to each class.

If you sit on your current GMAT score, there will be an even bigger onus on your story, career goals, school specificity and fit, school research and engagement, etc. -- and how all of that fits together -- given that you're mainly in the low GPA, average GMAT camp for these schools. (Cornell's average GPA is a shade lower than the others.) That 3.0 GPA is often going to be outside of the middle 80% for these programs, placing you in the bottom 10% within a typical class. If there are any soft spots in your transcript, you might consider taking a course or two to toughen those up. I'd imagine that your job is fairly quantitative, so you (and your recommenders) should also keep opportunities to shore up those soft spots elsewhere in your application and recommendations.

You'll also need to be super proactive about the age / work experience / why now factor. Enrolling at age 31 to graduate at age 33 and presumably become an associate at an investment bank is doable but definitely pushes up against the higher side of the age curve. (You'd probably be among the oldest people in your associate class, and you will need to convince them adcoms that your recruitment path is still viable. Given you've worked at these firms, albeit in different capacities, I believe it is, but you will need to do some very effective convincing... and possibly even show the adcoms that you're already laying live foundations toward this transition now, before you even apply.)

For all of the reasons described, you can't afford to sleep on any parts of the application. There will be many others with similar personal and professional backgrounds, and while every candidate has strengths and weaknesses, you'll need to make adcoms love you and your story so much that they look past others in your bucket who don't have GPA and age working against them. You should ensure superb story development, career goal specificity and articulation, why MBA and why now, school specificity, school research and engagement (be active), why exactly you fit and how you'll contribute, unique passion / purpose / personal story, excellent recommendations, and even building the aforementioned preemptive paths to your desired investment banking roles. You can read more about several of these factors here: https://www.avantiprep.com/blog/the-mos ... on-process

Please feel free to sign up for a Free Consultation so we can go into these items further and you can ask questions. I worked at J.P. Morgan for seven years [analyst, associate, VP] so would be more than happy to share that perspective as well. You can sign up for a Free Consultation here: https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html

Best Regards,
Greg

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Profile Evaluation - Applying Next Year (2020)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2019, 11:29
Some additional comments, amk1126:

After submitting, I reread your original post and see that you're considering applying in 2020, for potential enrollment in 2021. No matter the exact age math, I already think (and wrote, assuming you were applying this year) that age could become an obstacle for you for full-time programs. That will be the case even more so if you were to apply in 2020 instead of 2019.

Your unique undergraduate circumstances should be explained, as that helps show that you were working through undergrad and helps explain the age situation a bit. But if you're truly interested in full-time programs and an 11th hour pivot from the investment management pipeline to the investment banking pipeline, then I think that you should strongly consider applying this year over next. You're on the higher end of the age curve, and one more year (e.g., enrolling at 32) is rarer territory than enrolling at 31, which already sits either outside the middle 80% or right around the 90th age percentile for these schools.

If you can't apply until next year, then you might start thinking about 1Y programs (or at least a mix of 1Y and 2Y to hedge).

Also, your CFA helps offset the low GPA and probably eliminates the need to look at taking other courses (unless you completely flunked a couple of key ones). I did not incorporate the CFA into my original writeup. That definitely helps.

Best Regards,
Greg

To better understand how I work with clients and what they've historically felt were the major benefits of partnering, I encourage you to read through my Client Testimonials, all of which are independently verified by GMAT Club. I believe you'll find the reviews to be among the most transparent and detailed out there, and I believe you'll observe a unique level of time, depth, quality, commitment, attention to detail, and personal care. For serious inquiries, I am happy to connect you with former clients so you can hear about their experiences.
GMAT Club Bot
Profile Evaluation - Applying Next Year (2020)   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2019, 11:29

Profile Evaluation - Applying Next Year (2020)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep