GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 08:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile evaluation! Biotech engineer, transgender, 780 gmat

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V51
GRE 1: Q165 V167
Profile evaluation! Biotech engineer, transgender, 780 gmat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 04:17
Hi folks,
I did this once before when I was still speculating on whether to go for an MBA at all, and many of the details are no longer accurate (or were at the time just aspirations that didn't come to fruition!). However, it was extremely valuable and I really benefited from the experience!

As a result, I'm doing this one more time before I buckle down and knock my applications out, just to get a last pre-read on what I should be expecting. Thank you in advance for going through the details, any insight you have would be super valuable!

Thanks again!

Demographic: Caucasian, American, Male, Transgender, 28

GMAT: 780 (49Q, 51V, 8IR, AWA will be 5 or 6 presumably)
Undergrad: very large flagship state school in the 50-70 ranking range, chemical engineering-3.2 GPA (chemical engineering program is top 25)
Grad: Master's from same school and program, chemical engineering-3.5 GPA (was in the PhD program but decided to drop out due to not enjoying my project and wanting to work in industry, so I spent 3 years in grad school to get my master's)
Extracurriculars while in school: no extracurriculars, but worked extensively (20-30 hours a week) in on-campus jobs, while serving as an RA in the dorms my junior and senior years and doing research in a lab from freshman to junior year (what is the best way to work this into an application--in my resume or in the essays?). One internship at a very small biotech startup after my senior year, before I began my master's.

Work experience:
-Company 1 (after master's): 1.5 years a process development engineer at a highly innovative, midsize (~8000 employees) medical device company. Several projects with good returns in cost, cycle time, waste reduction, etc. no promotions.
-Company 2 (current role, equivalent to a one level increase from last role): 1.5 years (at time of application) as an engineer at a highly innovative pharmaceutical company in bay area, (~3000 employees), focused on extremely rare diseases. I work in a role similar to an industrial engineer--I manage all our capacity data, as well as run advanced capacity simulations and guide high-level decision-making with the data I generate and the suggestions I make based on that data. I am heavily involved in strategy meetings and generally am the lowest-level person in all my meetings! I also develop new metrics, business processes, etc. No promotions.

Hobbies/Community Service:
-100 hours in the past year answering calls for a transgender suicide hotline, which I am planning on working into the essay if possible
-Weightlifting (probably can't work that into the application though as I don't compete)

Recommendations: One will be very strong, and will come from my "functional" manager at my current job who has a ton of knowledge of my work and of me. She is not my actual supervisor though, since I can't risk my employment by asking my current supervisor and he does not know me or my work as well. The second will come from an indirect superior at my previous job (a quality rep who oversaw the quality aspects of my projects and gave final approvals), and should be decent but it's been a while since we worked together and probably won't be as strong in terms of anecdotes and making me seem "3D."

Essays: Hoping/assuming they will be strong to very strong.

Motivations:
MBA-specific: In my current role I have had the opportunity to join high-level strategy forums and meetings, and this has led me to the realization that I need to develop my ability to speak and think critically in these events. I do not think on my feet as well or as quickly as I need, and I struggle with performing these critical thinking exercises in such a venue. I felt a case study approach would be by far the best way for me to build these skills and develop the ability to contribute in these strategy meetings and discussions going forward.
Overall: Continue to focus on highly innovative biotech companies (pharma or medical device) that are doing valuable work targeted at underserved groups/populations/diseases/disorders.
Short-term: Since I have a strong tech background, I want to fill out my business-side background so that I can work with highly innovative companies and help them build out sustainable long-term operations strategies that will enable significant growth.
Long-term: develop frameworks that will allow for translation of medical research breakthoughs into FDA-approved commercial treatments more rapidly, with minimal overhead.

Target schools: HBS, GSB, Wharton, and Haas evenings/weekends part-time program.

Thank you so much for reading! Please let me know if there is any other information I have left out that could be valuable.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile evaluation! Biotech engineer, transgender, 780 gmat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2018, 12:09
Hey there!
Just checked in with this board and am surprised no one had responded to your post - thanks for being patient and hope it's not too late to weigh in!
See below for my comments in line with your profile.
Please reach out to us with any follow-up questions!
Kate

biotechapplicant wrote:
Hi folks,
I did this once before when I was still speculating on whether to go for an MBA at all, and many of the details are no longer accurate (or were at the time just aspirations that didn't come to fruition!). However, it was extremely valuable and I really benefited from the experience!

As a result, I'm doing this one more time before I buckle down and knock my applications out, just to get a last pre-read on what I should be expecting. Thank you in advance for going through the details, any insight you have would be super valuable!

Thanks again!

Demographic: Caucasian, American, Male, Transgender, 28 This will be a nice boost (to be out in your application) especially since I see you have involvement in giving back to the community. B-schools are seeking and very accepting of diverse applicants.

GMAT: 780 (49Q, 51V, 8IR, AWA will be 5 or 6 presumably) Excellent score! The AWA won't matter much with such a high overall :-)
Undergrad: very large flagship state school in the 50-70 ranking range, chemical engineering-3.2 GPA (chemical engineering program is top 25) GPA is a little low for some very top schools, but STEM background is great
Grad: Master's from same school and program, chemical engineering-3.5 GPA (was in the PhD program but decided to drop out due to not enjoying my project and wanting to work in industry, so I spent 3 years in grad school to get my master's) Nice that this GPA is a little higher
Extracurriculars while in school: no extracurriculars, but worked extensively (20-30 hours a week) in on-campus jobs, while serving as an RA in the dorms my junior and senior years and doing research in a lab from freshman to junior year (what is the best way to work this into an application--in my resume or in the essays?). One internship at a very small biotech startup after my senior year, before I began my master's. I would include these things on your resume, definitely the research lab and RA, possibly the internship too, though post-college work matters more.

Work experience:
-Company 1 (after master's): 1.5 years a process development engineer at a highly innovative, midsize (~8000 employees) medical device company. Several projects with good returns in cost, cycle time, waste reduction, etc. no promotions.
-Company 2 (current role, equivalent to a one level increase from last role): 1.5 years (at time of application) as an engineer at a highly innovative pharmaceutical company in bay area, (~3000 employees), focused on extremely rare diseases. I work in a role similar to an industrial engineer--I manage all our capacity data, as well as run advanced capacity simulations and guide high-level decision-making with the data I generate and the suggestions I make based on that data. I am heavily involved in strategy meetings and generally am the lowest-level person in all my meetings! I also develop new metrics, business processes, etc. No promotions.

Work experience sounds great. Lots of analytical work is great. Highlight any executive/customer/client exposure too. A promotion would be a nice plus but not required.

-100 hours in the past year answering calls for a transgender suicide hotline, which I am planning on working into the essay if possible Yes, definitely work into your essays!
-Weightlifting (probably can't work that into the application though as I don't compete) Ha, probably not, but maybe it can be a "for fun" bullet on your resume

Recommendations: One will be very strong, and will come from my "functional" manager at my current job who has a ton of knowledge of my work and of me. She is not my actual supervisor though, since I can't risk my employment by asking my current supervisor and he does not know me or my work as well. The second will come from an indirect superior at my previous job (a quality rep who oversaw the quality aspects of my projects and gave final approvals), and should be decent but it's been a while since we worked together and probably won't be as strong in terms of anecdotes and making me seem "3D."

These sound like good choices. Plan to write a brief statement in the Optional Essay explaining your choices. It won't be an issue to not have your current supervisor as long as you explain.

Motivations:
MBA-specific: In my current role I have had the opportunity to join high-level strategy forums and meetings, and this has led me to the realization that I need to develop my ability to speak and think critically in these events. I do not think on my feet as well or as quickly as I need, and I struggle with performing these critical thinking exercises in such a venue. I felt a case study approach would be by far the best way for me to build these skills and develop the ability to contribute in these strategy meetings and discussions going forward.
Overall: Continue to focus on highly innovative biotech companies (pharma or medical device) that are doing valuable work targeted at underserved groups/populations/diseases/disorders.
Short-term: Since I have a strong tech background, I want to fill out my business-side background so that I can work with highly innovative companies and help them build out sustainable long-term operations strategies that will enable significant growth.
Long-term: develop frameworks that will allow for translation of medical research breakthoughs into FDA-approved commercial treatments more rapidly, with minimal overhead.

Target schools: HBS, GSB, Wharton, and Haas evenings/weekends part-time program. Obviously H/S/W are ultra competitive but I would give them a shot given the strengths in your profile. Haas is a great option too that would still facilitate your goals.

Thank you so much for reading! Please let me know if there is any other information I have left out that could be valuable.

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 17:04
mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hey there!
Just checked in with this board and am surprised no one had responded to your post - thanks for being patient and hope it's not too late to weigh in!
See below for my comments in line with your profile.
Please reach out to us with any follow-up questions!
Kate

biotechapplicant wrote:
Hi folks,

Thanks again!

Demographic: Caucasian, American, Male, Transgender, 28 This will be a nice boost (to be out in your application) especially since I see you have involvement in giving back to the community. B-schools are seeking and very accepting of diverse applicants.

GMAT: 780 (49Q, 51V, 8IR, AWA will be 5 or 6 presumably) Excellent score! The AWA won't matter much with such a high overall :-)
Undergrad: very large flagship state school in the 50-70 ranking range, chemical engineering-3.2 GPA (chemical engineering program is top 25) GPA is a little low for some very top schools, but STEM background is great
Grad: Master's from same school and program, chemical engineering-3.5 GPA (was in the PhD program but decided to drop out due to not enjoying my project and wanting to work in industry, so I spent 3 years in grad school to get my master's) Nice that this GPA is a little higher
Extracurriculars while in school: no extracurriculars, but worked extensively (20-30 hours a week) in on-campus jobs, while serving as an RA in the dorms my junior and senior years and doing research in a lab from freshman to junior year (what is the best way to work this into an application--in my resume or in the essays?). One internship at a very small biotech startup after my senior year, before I began my master's. I would include these things on your resume, definitely the research lab and RA, possibly the internship too, though post-college work matters more.

Work experience:

Work experience sounds great. Lots of analytical work is great. Highlight any executive/customer/client exposure too. A promotion would be a nice plus but not required.

-100 hours in the past year answering calls for a transgender suicide hotline, which I am planning on working into the essay if possible Yes, definitely work into your essays!
-Weightlifting (probably can't work that into the application though as I don't compete) Ha, probably not, but maybe it can be a "for fun" bullet on your resume

These sound like good choices. Plan to write a brief statement in the Optional Essay explaining your choices. It won't be an issue to not have your current supervisor as long as you explain.

Motivations:

Target schools: HBS, GSB, Wharton, and Haas evenings/weekends part-time program. Obviously H/S/W are ultra competitive but I would give them a shot given the strengths in your profile. Haas is a great option too that would still facilitate your goals.

Thank you so much Kate! I greatly appreciate the advice, thank you for spotting my post after it sat for so long! I think I can get started on my application package now, hopefully everything works out. best of luck with your work!
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 18:07
Happy to help. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions as you get started on your applications. Good luck!

biotechapplicant wrote:

Thank you so much Kate! I greatly appreciate the advice, thank you for spotting my post after it sat for so long! I think I can get started on my application package now, hopefully everything works out. best of luck with your work!

Kate Richardson
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 23:15
A few more reflections and points to push your thinking here biotechapplicant:
  1. The overall work profile looks good especially given the fact that you seem to have gone beyond your call of duty by being part of strategy discussions - I am assuming not many/any of your peers get such an opportunity. Be sure to bring that out in all its glory and details.
  2. The diversity factor will help for sure; read here, here and here for more relevant perspectives and data.
  3. The one potential issue could be timing. The 'sweet-spot' is usually 4-5 years of experience while you'd have 3, that too, fractured along two different jobs. It might be worth evaluating another year in case that brings you closer to that strategy role in a more formal way already in your current trajectory. That'll help you make a stronger case later too.
  4. Pertinent to above, I would question your choice of EWMBAs. You are too young to explore those - unless of course there is something big promised at your current workplace (which doesn't seem to be the case given your reco situation). Read here on why a full-time MBA is what you should aim for.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 08:14
MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
A few more reflections and points to push your thinking here biotechapplicant:
  1. The overall work profile looks good especially given the fact that you seem to have gone beyond your call of duty by being part of strategy discussions - I am assuming not many/any of your peers get such an opportunity. Be sure to bring that out in all its glory and details.
  2. The diversity factor will help for sure; read here, here and here for more relevant perspectives and data.
  3. The one potential issue could be timing. The 'sweet-spot' is usually 4-5 years of experience while you'd have 3, that too, fractured along two different jobs. It might be worth evaluating another year in case that brings you closer to that strategy role in a more formal way already in your current trajectory. That'll help you make a stronger case later too.
  4. Pertinent to above, I would question your choice of EWMBAs. You are too young to explore those - unless of course there is something big promised at your current workplace (which doesn't seem to be the case given your reco situation). Read here on why a full-time MBA is what you should aim for.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

Thank you for the feedback Manish! Regarding the work experience--would it help at all that I was a full-time graduate research assistant before that first job? I'm not sure if it would count to MBA adcoms, but it was my job and I was paid for it (and published two papers as part of it as well, so it was genuine research).

As for the EWMBA program, just to make sure we're on the same page, this isn't an executive mba program, it's the Berkeley evenings/weekends program (for some reason they chose to abbreviate it as the EWMBA program). I would stay at my current job while completing it.

Thank you again, much appreciated!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 09:39
biotechapplicant wrote:
Thank you for the feedback Manish! Regarding the work experience--would it help at all that I was a full-time graduate research assistant before that first job? I'm not sure if it would count to MBA adcoms, but it was my job and I was paid for it (and published two papers as part of it as well, so it was genuine research).

As for the EWMBA program, just to make sure we're on the same page, this isn't an executive mba program, it's the Berkeley evenings/weekends program (for some reason they chose to abbreviate it as the EWMBA program). I would stay at my current job while completing it.

It won't count as professional experience but it'll help in the overall profile part sure. Most/all schools would count experience post-qualification.

Yups, I am well aware about the program (we've worked with quite a few candidates on it successfully in the past) and the advice I gave stands. It's not the flagship program and a part-time one. Doesn't help much.

Feel free to reach out for any other help.

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 11:48
Wanted to chime in again...if the research work was full-time, post-degree, and paid, then it will count! Probably won't be super relevant in terms of essay/interview examples, but it should still be on your resume and it can be counted when you total up your months of work experience.

I have seen the EWMBA program pay off for many. It is still a Haas MBA, and you have the same professors. It can be a bit harder to make a big career switch through that program, but it still gives you the Haas brand and network. I think it's a good backup for you, and hopefully one you don't need!

-Kate

MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
biotechapplicant wrote:

It won't count as professional experience but it'll help in the overall profile part sure. Most/all schools would count experience post-qualification.

Yups, I am well aware about the program (we've worked with quite a few candidates on it successfully in the past) and the advice I gave stands. It's not the flagship program and a part-time one. Doesn't help much.

Kate Richardson

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2018, 08:34
MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:

Thank you! That's good to know--I've been on the fence about it so I think I'll reconsider for a full-time program instead.

mbaMissionKate wrote:
Wanted to chime in again...if the research work was full-time, post-degree, and paid, then it will count! Probably won't be super relevant in terms of essay/interview examples, but it should still be on your resume and it can be counted when you total up your months of work experience.

I have seen the EWMBA program pay off for many. It is still a Haas MBA, and you have the same professors. It can be a bit harder to make a big career switch through that program, but it still gives you the Haas brand and network. I think it's a good backup for you, and hopefully one you don't need!

-Kate

Thank you Kate! I just found out that apparently Haas doesn't reserve much scholarship money for the part-time program either, so I'm reconsidering instead doing a full-time program for my fourth school I apply to (plus sacrificing my weekends for three years is a tough proposition!). Do you think the geographical advantage of going to Haas full-time, if my goal is to eventually resume working in the bay area, would outweigh going to a school like Sloan that is just incredibly strong for tech, or Kellogg, which has a great healthcare program but doesn't have the international name recognition that MIT might have?
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 11:10
Yes, scholarships are harder to get in part-time programs, many students get some sponsorship from their employers, but I'm not sure if that would be an option for you. I think schools like Sloan and Kellogg have very strong brands, especially in Tech and Healthcare as you mentioned, so they would have strong opportunities in the Bay Area as well. And Boston has a great biotech scene in case you end up falling in love with it! Also, so many MBAs want to be in the Bay Area, so you will see lots of Silicon Valley companies recruiting on campus at those schools and student groups will organize "West Coast Treks" to visit companies too. I think you would still have great opportunities.

biotechapplicant wrote:

Thank you Kate! I just found out that apparently Haas doesn't reserve much scholarship money for the part-time program either, so I'm reconsidering instead doing a full-time program for my fourth school I apply to (plus sacrificing my weekends for three years is a tough proposition!). Do you think the geographical advantage of going to Haas full-time, if my goal is to eventually resume working in the bay area, would outweigh going to a school like Sloan that is just incredibly strong for tech, or Kellogg, which has a great healthcare program but doesn't have the international name recognition that MIT might have?

Kate Richardson

Re: Profile evaluation! Biotech engineer, transgender, 780 gmat &nbs [#permalink] 25 Jun 2018, 11:10

Profile evaluation! Biotech engineer, transgender, 780 gmat

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap