It is currently 22 Jan 2018, 16:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation for 2+2 Candidate

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Evaluation for 2+2 Candidate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 11:10
Hi,

Before I provide details of my background, I want to say thank you in advance for any help!

Primary Languages: Farsi, English
Citizenship Status: Canada

I am currently in the final year of my studies at the top business school in Canada (think Ivey/Queens) and I am considering applying to the 2+2 program at either Stanford or HBS. I haven't written the GMAT yet, but I plan on writing it in February. I have a lot of capacity in the next few months, as such I am confident in my ability to write in February and score well.

I spent my first two years of university at another top business school in Canada and then transferred to my current school for better career opportunities in my field of interest. My GPA in my final two years of university is around a ~3.84/4.00, and in my first two years I achieved a 3.7. As such, I expect my cGPA to by around a 3.75. I have also received a few academic awards one for the highest grade in the mandatory finance course taken by all 600 students at my school, and the other for placing in the top 10% in both years of the program.

In my most recent internship (summer 2017), I worked at one of the top Private Equity firms in the US. Due to privacy issues, I am unable to name the firm, but it is one of the most well recognized firms and the founder of the firm is an HBS grad and there are several other former employees who went to HBS as well. Upon graduation, I was fortunate enough to receive a return offer from the firm and will be joining them as an Analyst. Prior to this, I did two summer internships, one at a small Private Equity Firm in Canada as well as a small Investment Banking firm.

In terms of extracurricular activities, I am the President of my schools Finance club, which has over 200 active members. As part of my role, I built my own team and organized networking, educationals, and speaker series for current students. In addition to this, I am also an Analyst as part of my university's investment club, where we manage a portfolio of $180,000 (real cash) and invest it across different industry segments.

As for my story, I was born in Afghanistan and moved to Canada at the age of 3. At the time there was a lot of war going on and my family has been fortunate enough to be blessed with the opportunity to move to Canada. I also faced a lot of struggle in my university career. In my 3rd year of studies, my mother passed away which came as a total surprise and 3 months later I also lost my grandmother. These events were the biggest setbacks in my life and I decided to take a semester off from school, which delayed my graduation to 2018 (otherwise I was to graduate in the summer of 2017).

Any advice is appreciated! The reason I am uncertain about applying to the 2+2 program is because I have heard they look for students with unconventional backgrounds. Although I seem to have a strong finance background, my work experience is a little unique in the sense that I will be working in Private Equity (normally people obtain 2 years of Investment Banking work experience before moving to PE). I would also appreciate any advice regarding the GMAT and whether 2.5 months of studying is sufficient to score in the 750 range.

Thank you!!
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Profile Evaluation for 2+2 Candidate [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 06:03
KobeBean24 wrote:
Hi,

Before I provide details of my background, I want to say thank you in advance for any help!

I am currently in the final year of my studies at the top business school in Canada (think Ivey/Queens) and I am considering applying to the 2+2 program at either Stanford or HBS. I haven't written the GMAT yet, but I plan on writing it in February. I have a lot of capacity in the next few months, as such I am confident in my ability to write in February and score well.

I spent my first two years of university at another top business school in Canada and then transferred to my current school for better career opportunities in my field of interest. My GPA in my final two years of university is around a ~3.84/4.00, and in my first two years I achieved a 3.7. As such, I expect my cGPA to by around a 3.75. I have also received a few academic awards one for the highest grade in the mandatory finance course taken by all 600 students at my school, and the other for placing in the top 10% in both years of the program.

In my most recent internship (summer 2017), I worked at one of the top Private Equity firms in the US. Due to privacy issues, I am unable to name the firm, but it is one of the most well recognized firms and the founder of the firm is an HBS grad and there are several other former employees who went to HBS as well. Upon graduation, I was fortunate enough to receive a return offer from the firm and will be joining them as an Analyst. Prior to this, I did two summer internships, one at a small Private Equity Firm in Canada as well as a small Investment Banking firm.

In terms of extracurricular activities, I am the President of my schools Finance club, which has over 200 active members. As part of my role, I built my own team and organized networking, educationals, and speaker series for current students. In addition to this, I am also an Analyst as part of my university's investment club, where we manage a portfolio of $180,000 (real cash) and invest it across different industry segments.

As for my story, I was born in Afghanistan and moved to Canada at the age of 3. At the time there was a lot of war going on and my family has been fortunate enough to be blessed with the opportunity to move to Canada. I also faced a lot of struggle in my university career. In my 3rd year of studies, my mother passed away which came as a total surprise and 3 months later I also lost my grandmother. These events were the biggest setbacks in my life and I decided to take a semester off from school, which delayed my graduation to 2018 (otherwise I was to graduate in the summer of 2017).

Any advice is appreciated! The reason I am uncertain about applying to the 2+2 program is because I have heard they look for students with unconventional backgrounds. Although I seem to have a strong finance background, my work experience is a little unique in the sense that I will be working in Private Equity (normally people obtain 2 years of Investment Banking work experience before moving to PE). I would also appreciate any advice regarding the GMAT and whether 2.5 months of studying is sufficient to score in the 750 range.

Thank you!!

Thank you for your detailed post. From what I see your profile would be competitive for 2+2 / Stanford. Now while the programs are challenging, 3.8 ish GPA, top PE job and 750 GMAT would make you competitive for sure. The fact that you are from Afghanistan helps even more. We are working with someone who has a similar profile now actually (including Afghanistan) and there are certain ways to leverage that without making it sound like you are just trying to play the card. The best piece of advice is to try to get as high of a GMAT score as you can. Scores are high with these programs and especially for those folks working in PE.

Good luck and reach out if you want more guidance. www.personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 11:15
Thanks for the feedback! Was wondering, do you have any tips for the GMAT or any threads I should take a look at? Also, is ~2 months of prep sufficient?
Expert Post
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2017, 12:12
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your background! With a strong GMAT score, you would be competitive for the HBS 2+2 and Stanford deferred programs. I have worked with clients in the past with a similar background (finance/investment focused and going straight into PE right after undergrad) who have been successful in gaining admission. The key is focusing on the impact that you've had in your professional and extracurricular roles.

The amount of time for GMAT prep really varies from person to person, but it's often easier for those already in school.

I hope this helps - if you'd like to discuss further, feel free to reach out at https://www.ivygroupe.com/contact.

Best,
Shaifali
(HBS Grad/MBA Admissions Expert)

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Expert Post
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 05:34
KobeBean24 wrote:
Hi,

Thank you!!

Well dude, you might as well try right?

It is true that the raison d'etre of the 2+2 programs is to pull in and retain people who might not otherwise be an MBA witha focus on STEM students (although there are people from other backgrounds). It is also true that there is only a small percentage of folks coming form business backgrounds (The last stat I remember was something like 14% although it may have changed).

Buuuuuut at the same time, give you have a good background - great GMAT, grades, school, internships and offer, will it ever hurt to try? :)

Just go for it, and if it doesn't work out, then you can just try for the regular program 2-3 years down the line.

Best,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Profile Evaluation for 2+2 Candidate   [#permalink] 17 Dec 2017, 05:34

Profile Evaluation for 2+2 Candidate

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap