Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 372
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation for GSB/HBS and Suggestion about Retaking 700 GMAT [#permalink]
belami1991 wrote:
Just took my GMAT today and considering if I should retake given I'm targeting GSB/HBS. I know it's on the border of even having a shot but I'm hoping that with strong resume/recs I'll still have a decent shot. Additionally, most of my firm went to either GSB/HBS and I'm fortunate enough to be able to get some pretty stellar recs from well known alumni of both schools (trustee/advisor board members). Am I dreaming or should I retake and target a 740+?

Background and nationality: Asian-American

Undergrad Information: NYU/3.8 (Cum Laude)

GMAT: 700 (Q44/V42)

Work experience and leadership:
- Vice President at well-known venture capital firm; promoted early from associate to senior associate then to VP
- Have led a few of my own investments that have done well and take board seats on companies
- Before that, 1 year management consulting and 1 year PM at startup which was acquired

Community service and awards:
- Executive/Board member of a thousands+ member non-profit
- Forbes 30 under 30

Thanks!

Hello belami1991

In general average GMAT of accepted students for GSB/HBS is around 730.

That means people with lower scores have been accepted all the time and you are exactly the person that probably would be accepted there even with lower than 700 score. :idea:

Being a VP from well known VC firm (I assume in California) with fast pace career track, proven independent investments, board seats, being on Forbes list under 30 and especially having stellar recommendations from well known alumni will do wonders from admission perspective point .

You really do sound like you don't even need MBA. :)

You dont need to retake GMAT, you are set.

You will (most probably) be accepted at both schools.

At your place, especially if you are based in California, I would certainly go to Stanford. :cool:
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Profile Evaluation for GSB/HBS and Suggestion about Retaking 700 GMAT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Oh hi belami1991. I just responded to you on another thread! I'll paste the answer again here in case you missed it or it helps someone else. I see there are some other responses above here that give you another point of view. I would just say that you don't strike me as the type of person to do things halfway and if you're serious about applying and you have time to retake it, I would give it another try so you don't wonder. Yes, your profile is super impressive...but clearly, you have a concern or you wouldn't be posting here. If I were you, I'd take it again just so I knew I'd be giving my application my best shot.

Good luck!
Julie-Anne Heafey
mbaMission

My short answer to your question (Am I dreaming or should I retake and target a 740+?) is No (you're not dreaming) but Why Not?

Of course you're not dreaming. All top business schools evaluate your application "holistically," which means your GMAT is one factor among many factors and they take them all into consideration. Your background is clearly impressive. Your work history/track record, your employer, and strong recommendations all matter a lot. They'll notice the 30 Under 30. Your GPA is also good (we don't know what it's in, but hopefully you'll have some quant courses in there) so academically, you should look fine. They should like the board membership on the nonprofit too, especially if you have meaningful involvement there and a personal connection.

What we don't know from the below is what your personal qualities are, what your "story" is, and where you're going. All those also matter. Tons of awesome stats won't help if you come across poorly in the essay or interview. So, assuming you can deliver there - you'll absolutely have a legitimate shot.

That said, why would you take the GMAT only once? It's a tricky test, most people don't get their best scores the first time. It's early in the season - HBS just released their (same) essay question this week, and Stanford hasn't confirmed their essays for the year yet. You have time to retake it, why wouldn't you? I would wonder about that. Also, tbh - a 700 doesn't tell me everything. Is it evenly split or is one side much lower than the other? What do your IR and AWA look like? What was the test like for you? Did you prep for it? Do you struggle in general with standardized tests? I'd take it again! If it doesn't go up, no harm, no foul - it shows you tried. If it does - awesome, every little jump can help at these elite schools.

When you submit your application, you want to feel like you gave the process your all. The level of competition is stiff, and the process unpredictable. So, yeah, I'd take it again. Another option is switching to the GRE - it's becoming increasingly popular (15% of HBS's 2020 class submitted GRE scores) and some candidates just tend to do better on that test. You can always try an online practice test to see if you "click" with it better. But I think I'd rather just see how you do with a 2nd GMAT so you can show resilience and effort to score better.

Best of luck!

Warmly,
Julie-Anne Heafey
mbaMission

belami1991 wrote:
Just took my GMAT today and considering if I should retake given I'm targeting GSB/HBS. I know it's on the border of even having a shot but I'm hoping that with strong resume/recs I'll still have a decent shot. Additionally, most of my firm went to either GSB/HBS and I'm fortunate enough to be able to get some pretty stellar recs from well known alumni of both schools (trustee/advisor board members). Am I dreaming or should I retake and target a 740+?

Background and nationality: Asian-American

Undergrad Information: NYU/3.8 (Cum Laude)

GMAT: 700 (Q44/V42)

Work experience and leadership:
- Vice President at well-known venture capital firm; promoted early from associate to senior associate then to VP
- Have led a few of my own investments that have done well and take board seats on companies
- Before that, 1 year management consulting and 1 year PM at startup which was acquired

Community service and awards:
- Executive/Board member of a thousands+ member non-profit
- Forbes 30 under 30

Thanks!
Moderator:
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
1452 posts