Last visit was: 16 May 2024, 09:50 It is currently 16 May 2024, 09:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 643 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation for ISB - Chartered Accountant [#permalink]

BumblingBee wrote:
Hi!

I am a Chartered Accountant looking to do my MBA from ISB in a couple of years. I'm planning to apply to ISB in September 2025.

Please find my profile below:

Acads:

• 10th - 10 CGPA (2014)
  • 12th - 91 % (2016)
  • Bachelor of Commerce (Distance education from IGNOU) - In progress, likely to be pretty low (explainable, low grads because of the way marks are awarded). I was enrolled in a distance degree from a popular regional university, but the university got derecognised midway. So had to re-enroll in a different university, with no credit transfers.
  • Chartered Accountancy - Qualified in December 2021. 5 attemps in Intermediate and 2 in Final. Scored exceptionally well in my finals.
Work ex - 2 Years (3.5 years at the time of application).

• Interned for 3 years at a boutique audit and tax compliance firm (as part of the Chartered Accountancy course). Was part of audit teams that audited some of the biggest government companies in the country. Helped the firm reorganise internal documentation. Was offered full time roles in the firm and in clients I audited.
  • 1 Year at EY in Corporate Tax - Won an award for extraordinary client service. Worked with international teams and very high profile clients. Left the firm since I wanted more client visibility and wanted to handle engagements end to end independently.
  • Presently working in a boutique M&A tax advisory firm. Worked with VC/PE funds and unicorn startups. Added a lot of value to the team and clients, and got recognised for it.
GMAT - Yet to take the test.

Extracurriculars

Cleared CFA Level 1 purely out of interest.
Nothing else of mention.

Post MBA Goals - MBB Consulting.­

@BumblingBee ­- To break into consulting, MBB's, and as a result, B-schools in their admissions process, expect solid acads, clear motivation (for why consulting) and ideally some transferable skills (e.g. analytical, client-exposure, sector-related etc.). To that end, scoring well on the GMAT, and picking up such opportunities in your workplace are crucial.

The Extracurricular angle seems week. CFA isn't an Extracurricular - it's more an academic pursuit. Would suggest getting involved in activites that can help present a holistic profile. The key here is quality (not quantity) i.e. how consistently involved you are and what impact you can have.

Feel free to reach out for a deeper chat.

Regards,
Arvind
Founder, admitStreet | Schedule a free chat
W: https://admitstreet.com | LinkedIn | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com­
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Profile evaluation for ISB - Chartered Accountant [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey there BumblingBee

I hope you are doing well. Your profile looks good on the surface. 

First things first, your Chartered Accountant qualification is a golden ticket for ISB. They love strong academic backgrounds, and having your CA under your belt definitely checks that box. Your work experience across boutique firms and EY in audit and tax is super impressive. 

You've worked with big government companies, international teams, and high-profile clients – that speaks volumes about your well-rounded skillset. The fact that you were recognized for your work at EY is a fantastic accomplishment, and your current role in M&A tax with VC/PE exposure perfectly aligns with your post-MBA goals in MBB Consulting. Plus, clearing CFA Level 1 shows your continued drive to learn and grow in finance – that's a definite plus!

Now, there's always room for improvement, right?  While your 10th and 12th grades are solid, the lower grades in your ongoing BCom might raise an eyebrow at ISB.  The good news is, you can be prepared to explain the situation (the university derecognition) in your application and highlight your exceptional performance in the CA finals. Since you haven't taken the GMAT yet, focus on getting a strong score – that will significantly boost your application.  Lastly, your extracurricular profile could use a little something extra. Consider volunteering, joining professional organizations, or picking up activities that showcase your leadership potential and well-roundedness.

Overall, with your CA qualification, relevant work experience, and clear goals in MBB consulting, you've got a strong foundation for ISB. By addressing the potential weaknesses in academics, building a stronger extracurricular profile, and absolutely crushing the GMAT, you can present an application that's truly outstanding.

Want to get a more detailed analysis of your chances and a personalized strategy to tackle these areas?  Feel free to schedule a free 1:1 profile analysis session with us!  We can deep dive into your profile and craft a winning application for ISB.

CLICK HERE TO SCHEDULE A FREE PROFILE ANALYSIS SESSION WITH US.
BumblingBee wrote:
Hi!

I am a Chartered Accountant looking to do my MBA from ISB in a couple of years. I'm planning to apply to ISB in September 2025.

Acads:

• 10th - 10 CGPA (2014)
  • 12th - 91 % (2016)
  • Bachelor of Commerce (Distance education from IGNOU) - In progress, likely to be pretty low (explainable, low grads because of the way marks are awarded). I was enrolled in a distance degree from a popular regional university, but the university got derecognised midway. So had to re-enroll in a different university, with no credit transfers.
  • Chartered Accountancy - Qualified in December 2021. 5 attemps in Intermediate and 2 in Final. Scored exceptionally well in my finals.

• Interned for 3 years at a boutique audit and tax compliance firm (as part of the Chartered Accountancy course). Was part of audit teams that audited some of the biggest government companies in the country. Helped the firm reorganise internal documentation. Was offered full time roles in the firm and in clients I audited.
  • 1 Year at EY in Corporate Tax - Won an award for extraordinary client service. Worked with international teams and very high profile clients. Left the firm since I wanted more client visibility and wanted to handle engagements end to end independently.
  • Presently working in a boutique M&A tax advisory firm. Worked with VC/PE funds and unicorn startups. Added a lot of value to the team and clients, and got recognised for it.

Extracurriculars

Nothing else of mention.

­
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply

BumblingBee wrote:
Hi!

Acads:

• 10th - 10 CGPA (2014)
  • 12th - 91 % (2016)

Extracurriculars

Nothing else of mention.

­Hello BumblingBee,

Hope this finds you well.

With a large number of Chartered Accountants applying to ISB, you will need to aim for a high GMAT score that helps you have an edge over many others; hence, you primary focus should be on the test; once the test is out of the way, please focus on deliberating how you will link your existing experience with your proposed goals in consulting; putting these ideas down in a compelling narrative is going to be very crucial as well.

In short, considering you belong to an over-represented pool (of course, with your own strengths), the test score and essays will be extremely crucial. The following video will give you greater insight on what the essays expect of you:

Should you feel the need to discuss your prospects in greater detail, please feel free to get in touch with us.

Hope this helps.

All the best!

Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for the detailed profile share. Let's evaluate it systematically to help you prepare better for your MBA application to ISB:

Academic Credentials

Your record in academics has been strong early on, with 10 CGPA in 10th grade and 91% in 12th grade. The challenges you faced during your bachelors due to the derecognition of the university and subsequent re-enrollment might have resulted in low graduation grades; nevertheless, your story about them can actually turn this into a strength of the application by showing resilience and adaptability.

Being a Chartered Accountant qualification holder shows determination even after failing multiple times.

Work Experience

Your work experience which is relevant especially as it involves specialization such as audit, corporate tax and M&A tax advisory. International exposure alongside handling high-profile clients independently while holding leadership positions will be valuable for MBA application.

Extracurricular Activities

This part seems a bit thin on your profile. What they need here are some more diverse activities indicating leadership qualities, teamwork or community involvement.

Post-MBA Goals

It is clear that what you want after graduating from ISB is transitioning into management consulting. However, showing clear understanding on how ISB will help facilitate your move from tax advisory to strategy consulting would be important.

To-Do List

GMAT Preparation: You should aim for a score of 675+ to be competitive given the intensity of competition that is expected at ISB. Plus write the in-centre test only.

Strengthen Extracurriculars: Involve yourself with leadership or volunteer positions which will demonstrate ability to manage teams, initiatives or contribute towards community development.

Professional Development: Keep excelling in current role while seeking for those that expose you more into strategic decision-making processes at work.

SWOT Analysis

Strengths:

Strong foundational education and professional qualification attained.

Significant professional achievements made so far coupled with specialized experience gained over time.

Weaknesses:

Possible low grades obtained during undergraduate studies.

Limited engagement in extracurricular activities outside academics realm.

Opportunities:

Use unique professional experiences to stand out among other applicants.

Participate in targeted extracurricular activities.

Threats:

Many traditional higher profile academic achievers may apply thus increasing competition levels even further than usual expectation.

There are many potential strengths in your profile such as CA qualification plus professional achievements. However, it is equally important that you work on weaknesses especially narrative around undergraduates coupled with lack of involvement in co-curricular activities.

Feel free to connect with our ISB admission consultant for any further clarification.

All the best!
BumblingBee wrote:
Hi!

Acads:

• 10th - 10 CGPA (2014)
  • 12th - 91 % (2016)

Extracurriculars

Nothing else of mention.

­
GMAT Club Bot