Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - Indian Engineer Male [#permalink]
If I were to be more specific - I am looking to improve the quantitative aspects about my profile. From that standpoint, do you think a certification like HBX Core will help?

Thanks.
Send PM
Profile Evaluation - Indian Engineer Male [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Thank you, Observer0911. My apologies for misreading the intended application year. With this year's Round 1 deadlines coming in just a few weeks -- and most applicants posting about those -- I was admittedly a bit wired to interpret your post through the lens of a 2019 application : )

HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR CANDIDACY: QUANT / BUSINESS / CONSIDERATIONS

As for your specific question about "how to improve" between then and now, I do not think you necessarily *need* to boost your Quant profile by way of an HBX CORe or similar. You might not have attended a tippy-top tier program or had a top-tier GPA, but the 770 GMAT, Q50, and consulting experience (which presumably included business-oriented analytical work) all help in those regards. The 770 GMAT score is a "plus" score, and I would be hard pressed to think that an admissions committee is going to lack faith in your Quant abilities. At the same time, if you really wanted to use the next 12 months check every box you could and improve your profile in every way you can, then an HBX CORe certainly isn't going to hurt. If you were to pursue it, I would think of it more as evidence of a continuous desire toward self-improvement and an ability to build a foundation / succeed in foundational classroom-style business subject matters, which you were exposed to on the job but didn't have in the classroom as an undergrad. In my mind, it would be more those things than needing to prove or bolster your pure Quant abilities. I believe that that is already in hand.

HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR CANDIDACY: OTHER KEY CONSIDERATIONS

Now, whether you invest time in that should be judged in context of what other steps you can take to improve your profile, and whether you think you have time to do all of them. These other areas include (1) investing yourself in (or even creating!) an impactful extracurricular / leadership activity that positively impacts others and is super meaningful to you, (2) considering how you can raise your hand for (or again, even create) a new, impactful initiative at work that goes beyond your core job responsibilities and elevates the organization and others around you, (3) developing the specificity of your career goals through research, coffees and conversations with people who have the jobs you think you might purse post-MBA, and (4) getting to know programs very deeply, both through events and info sessions and conversations with current students and alumni from programs that you are considering. Ideally you'd try to chat with students and alumni who share your professional interests, that way you can understand what resources they avail themselves at a given program, how they contribute, and what the job (and visa) landscape is post-MBA for an international applicant with your professional goals.

ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS

The first two items above (and within that particularly the first one) probably have the biggest upside in terms of differentiation and impact, and your post-college ECs do look a little more "membership-oriented" than "leadership-oriented," so this will help there. The second two items are essential to any successful application strategy; you simply have the benefit of doing a year worth of building, as opposed to folks who are applying in one month who are now playing catch up in terms of building out their goals, getting to know schools very deeply, and having the requisite conversations. As you do so, also begin to brainstorm: what knowledge, skills, and experience do I already possess that are relevant to these goals? What knowledge, skills, and experience am I missing therefore need to acquire via an MBA? And as you learn more and more about each program, consider *exactly* how you'd acquire the requisite knowledge, skills, and experience by way of each unique program (and how you would uniquely contribute if you were a student there... keeping each school's culture, community, and special programs in mind as you do so).

I would be happy to elaborate / brainstorm the above with you, so please feel free to send me a message (greg@avantiprep.com) or sign up for a Free Consultation: https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html

Thanks!
Greg
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
AvantiPrep

Hi Greg,

I must say, that is one of the most comprehensive feedback I have received. I really appreciate you structuring it out for me.

While I understand that the quant aspect does not necessarily need more focus, I just wanted to put it out there with the extremely selective nature of the schools in mind. I asked about HBX Core since it is explicitly asked for in the HBS admissions form. I am assuming they do look at it as some sort of indicator regarding the potential performance of the individual during the MBA.

I happen to be a diploma holder in art. I also have an interest in the liberal arts (history, psychology and political science to be precise). I am planning to start something at the intersection of the two to increase awareness. I intend to leverage a digital platform for the purpose. Yet to work out the details. I did not mention this since I am not doing this from an applications perspective. It is just something I want to do. Do you think it might have a bearing on admissions? Asking wrt the first point you mentioned.

Again, thank you for the detailed guidance. I will schedule a session with you in the next few months to understand things better.

Best regards
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you, Observer0911. I appreciate your kind words. It is my pleasure to help!

Given the extremely selective nature of these ultra-elite programs, if you wanted to "turn over every single stone" you possibly could, then you can consider a program like HBX CORe. Again, for reasons described, I would be very hard pressed to say that you **need** to do something like this to prove yourself from a Quant perspective, but it certainly won't hurt you in terms of shoring up your quasi-academic business fundamentals, especially given you're originally an engineer. In a game of inches, this can be an extra inch amidst a handful of other possible "inches" that you could pursue with your time between now and next year's application season. If you can do them all, great, otherwise you will need to choose where to spend your time. Yes, HBS asks about the program in their application; I would think of it as something that can add a nice touch (assuming strong scores). But it's not going to make or break an application.

With respect to the idea that you have, I think it's great that you would be taking initiative, creating something new, and drawing upon your passions to do so. At the same time, I would encourage you to consider how an idea like this might also manifest at the grassroots level, beyond being purely digital. Digital is good for scale, but let's see what impact you can make with it in communities, person to person, group to group, etc. That tends to be the crucible for a lot more personal and leadership growth and human impact than something that's purely digital. Consider how you can thus combine digital and grassroots. Also consider what the focus here is. I know it's just a raw idea right now, but you named a lot of different disciplines, "increasing awareness" about them sounds kind of abstract, and I'm not really sure what the tangible impact of merely "increasing awareness" would be. So try to take it to the next level. What real impact can you have? Is it more teaching oriented? Is it mobilizing others to do so, and organizing and spearheading that effort?

A real, tangible, impactful community leadership initiative that you create -- and is more than just a website or a simple driver of awareness -- something that really touches people and helps people -- would definitely have a positive bearing on admissions. That doesn't come easy, and if it's a light effort or thin initiative, the admissions committee will see through it. Real initiatives take real effort, real time, real building, and as a result, they produce real, positive community impact. Like you said, these should be things that you are passionate about and what to pursue anyway, and as a corollary to that, they can also end up helping to differentiate you in your MBA applications. Hope that helps -- feel free to sign up for a Free Consultation at you convenience!

Best Regards,
Greg
GMAT Club Bot