GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 07 Dec 2019, 07:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation / Program Suggestions

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member
Profile Evaluation / Program Suggestions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Mar 2019, 13:55
Deleted

Originally posted by gmat216 on 11 Mar 2019, 12:47.
Last edited by gmat216 on 20 Mar 2019, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
Sia Admissions Representative
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Re: Profile Evaluation / Program Suggestions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2019, 12:59
Hi gmat216,

Thank you for sharing your post. I am interested to learn more about your profile and encourage you to take advantage of our free profile evaluation call (link).

To properly evaluate your professional experience, I require a bit more detail about your roles within the luxury consumer goods - not only the title but also your responsibilities. Leadership qualities are not always reflected in one's title. Since you already received a promotion with two direct reports, I assume you have demonstrated leadership in your role(s).

Your ECs are not measured by quantity; rather, quality matters here. Can you share more about your contributions to the homeless shelter for the past five (5) years?

While your academics are solid, there are things you can do to strengthen your profile between now and R1 application season.

I hope to hear from you.

Good luck!

gmat216 wrote:
Hi there!

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could provide some feedback on my chances of admission / areas to improve / or suggestions of schools that might be a good fit.

Background: American female of Asian descent
Undergrad: B.S. in a creative major from an art/design school (I'm assuming this will be a hurdle for Wharton and Booth??)
GPA: 3.7
Work Experience: 2.5 years in luxury consumer goods - recognizable names (think Chanel, Dior, Louis Vuitton, etc.) I have held fairly junior roles, with only my most recent position having two direct reports.
GMAT: 750 - Q49 V44
EC: I have been consistently working with a homeless shelter for 5 years, but that is my only EC
Target schools: HBS, Wharton, Booth, Columbia, Tuck

My long-term goal is to enter the C-suite and potentially join venture capital focusing on investments within my industry.

Thank you! Also happy to provide additional info through message if needed.

+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2019, 07:11
A few thoughts on your profile gmat216:
  1. Your academic arc, together with the GMAT, is pretty good. I don't see a creative degree as a hurdle frankly; if positioned correctly, it can play to your advantage. The brand of the school would matter though - anything substantial there?
  2. Luxury consumer goods sounds pretty good too - not a lot of folks from that space. There does seem to be some career progression in a fairly limited time - is that true on a relative basis too? Will also be good to understand how that connects with your post-MBA plans.
  3. The continuity bit is great on the shelter bit, right from undergrad. Any other activities during undergrad - those could be useful too. You don't really need five things outside of work as already shared on the forum.
  4. Overall, you are in about the right place and should start focusing on visiting schools, assessing fit etc to start your application journey.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

Watch these MBA Videos
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2019, 10:39
gmat216 wrote:
Hi there!

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could provide some feedback on my chances of admission / areas to improve / or suggestions of schools that might be a good fit.

Undergrad: B.S. in a creative major from an art/design school (I'm assuming this will be a hurdle for Wharton and Booth??)
Work Experience: 2.5 years in luxury consumer goods - recognizable names (think Chanel, Dior, Louis Vuitton, etc.) I have held fairly junior roles, with only my most recent position having two direct reports.
EC: I have been consistently working with a homeless shelter for 5 years, but that is my only EC

My long-term goal is to enter the C-suite and potentially join venture capital focusing on investments within my industry.

A non-conventional background can be more of an asset than a liability - but the key here is to portray this diversity positively. Both Wharton and Booth have been especially encouraging of such candidates in the past few years. All you need to do is to make sure that the adcom believes that you have what it takes to succeed in the MBA program - good news is that your GMAT score and GPA will hold you in good stead on that front.
The fact that you have been promoted in a relatively short span is great - hopefully, you can also show some leadership and initiative in your working experience. Continuity at the homeless shelter will also give you brownie points, but if you can show some growth there, it would be much stronger. For example, have you held different roles at the homeless shelter with increasing responsibility? The focus should be on strategic contribution instead of just teaching kids in your free time kind of tasks.

Here are some key actionables for the next few months:
    1.Take some time to formulate your goals well and to make sure that they align with your profile and strengths. Do lots of research. At this point you are thinking more long-term than short-term, whereas for business schools your short term goals are critical. Use your diverse experience to present a relatable career plan in the short term, that may eventually lead you to a VC firm.
    2.Assess fit with schools - reach out to students, adcoms, alumni and learn about their experience
    3.Try to take on more leadership opportunities at work
    4.Since you are done with the GMAT, it may be a good idea to take up a few Coursera courses in the context of your short-term career plans. Wharton has some exciting Business Foundations courses on Coursera.

The schools you have shortlisted are all extremely competitive and you do have a fair shot there. However, we would recommend adding a few safer schools to the mix.

You can reach out to us at info[at]admitsquare[dot]com for a more indepth profile evaluation.

Good Luck!
info@admitsquare.com | Tollfree: 1800-1020-885
Personal MBA Coach Founder
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 05:26
gmat216 wrote:
Hi there!

Hi gmat216,

On paper, everything looks really good. Your story makes a lot of sense, moving from creative design school to luxury goods and progressing well in your role. Remember, you've only been there 2.5 years, its not as if you should be running a division at this point. How does your progression compare to that of your peers who you started with?

What would be your short term goal post-MBA? If your long term goal is VC, you're going to need a broad set of finance and valuation skills, so I would focus on schools with strong finance programs: CBS, Booth, Wharton, and Stern. Anderson has a good program if you don't mind being on the west coast. As a short term goal, Consumer & Retail IB makes the most sense given your background and long-term goals. A number of banks specialize in the luxury goods vertical.

In terms of your chances at these schools, I do think you can be very competitive given your applications are on-point and recommendations strong. Feel free to reach out at scott@personalmbacoach.com to discuss your candidacy more, I'm happy to help!

Regards,
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation / Program Suggestions   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2019, 05:26

Profile Evaluation / Program Suggestions

new topic post reply Update application status