It is currently 19 Feb 2018, 06:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2011, 11:56
Hello:

26 Caucasian Male from the US.

Graduated Summa Cum Laude with a 3.87 from the John F. Welch College of Business at Sacred Heart. Double majored in Business Economics and Business Administration with a concentration in management.

GMAT: 700

Currently am working as a registered sales associate (Basically a glorified secretary) at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney. I have been at this position for 3 years. I spent 1 year interning at Morgan Stanley in virtually the same capacity and a year at UBS Financial Services doing the same.

I am trying to make the jump from Retail to Institutional and I have had zero progress. I have no desire to take a back or middle office job as that will be a counter-productive career move. I feel like I am pigeon-holed in at this job. Any time I get recruiters or companies on the line, they are quick to remind me I am "just" in Retail. Basically I want to get my MBA from a reputable B-School in order to make this jump. My question however is this: Is this type of work experience going to hinder my ability to get into a good college? Should I be more concerned about finding a new job before applying? Or am I making a big deal out of something small?

My perception of everything is that of a double edged sword. Need to come from a top tier program to get the types of jobs I am enthusiastic about and I need a better job to get into an MBA program I am enthusiastic about.

Hoping for: Columbia and NYU, but will most likely apply to others.

Thanks for your time.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2011, 14:15
Two things you can do:

(1) Continue plugging away at work, and find whatever which way to network, network, network. Strangers may not take you seriously as "retail sales" but someone who knows you may be able to vouch for you as an individual. And to get to that point just takes time, effort and a bit of luck to be at the right place at the right time.

OR

(2) Get out of finance entirely, unless you're so hardcore about finance that you can't do anything else (get out if it, find some other career, and then revisit the finance thing in a few years). It seems like you feel stuck in a holding pattern (or being that high school kid who gets pigeonholed within a certain group when you want to hang out with the other kids). What that means is that you may want to do something outside of finance, anything, to get a different perspective on things (and hopefully have others see something different in you).

In short, you're going to face the same hurdle in b-school admissions as well as recruiting (they won't see your experience in the same light as institutional sales), which is why you need to find something to get yourself out of your holding pattern NOW. This may not mean quitting your job, but finding some outlet outside your job that allows you to redefine yourself -- not only for others, but also for yourself (to see yourself in a different light).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2011, 05:06
Thank you for the reply. I am all about Finance. The only other career I would consider is consulting...and that will end up being the same in terms of requiring a top tier MBA.

Have been putting my nose to the grindstone and have gone on 7 interviews so far. I will keep plugging away and hopefully get something else before I focus on applying for a top tier program. The networking approach is what has gotten me so many interviews within a two month window.

Should I be able to procure a solid analyst position at a fund company, how do you feel I would fare applying for Columbia and NYU?

Thanks again...your response was extremely insightful and resurfaced ideas I have thought of, but stubbornly refused to consider. Maybe it's time to consider.

Nick
MBA Admissions Consultant

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2011, 08:57
Sounds like you're doing what you can. Keep plugging away at it! It's cliche to say that persistence pays off (and it usually does), but even if it doesn't, there's still a lot of value in being persistent -- you learn a lot about yourself and what you're made of, and through that while the doors you've been knocking on may not always open, other unexpected ones will open if you keep on knockin'

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com

Re: Profile Evaluation Request   [#permalink] 19 May 2011, 08:57

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap