It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 09:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation request

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 9

Schools: Tuck Class of 2012
Profile evaluation request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2009, 19:45
Hey Alex,

I would really appreciate an evaluation of my profile:

Short and sweet:
Program: MBA(FT)
Area of interest in MBA : Strategy
Post MBA: Management Consulting (concentrating on technology firms)
GMAT: 770 V:50, Q:45
GPA: 3.7 GPA in MS in Computer Science from Top 40 state school. BEng (Comp. Engg) from Mumbai University (roughly translated to 3.4 GPA).
Work experience(WE): 3 years (by the time I start bschool) in tech division of top i-bank doing business analysis and and project management. My work experience includes leading technology teams in cross-division projects and working closely with business to solicit requirements, manage expectations and communicate progress. 4 years part-time experience working with management/tech/accounts of family manufacturing business during undergrad.
Nationality: Indian
Extra-curriculars/community: minor (photography, film, south asian n/w at work, mensa).

Career arc:
1. I started off with a bachelor's degree in computer engineering and simultaneously started working designing the technology systems of the family manufacturing business. As time went on, my interest in technology remained strong, though my desire to remain in a purely technical field (get my PhD. in CS) waned, and I began to take on more business oriented roles in the business, launching a few productive($$) initiatives and leading people which got me interested in people and project management.
2. During my master's degree I specialized in project management thus moving more towards the management of technology.
3. Although I work in the tech dept at the ibank, my role is that of a business analyst and project manager. As a BA, I work as a conduit between business and technology (frankly I don't know all that much about either. The tech platform used by the system is way outdated), but I am able to gather requirements and communicate effectively between them. I act as the spokesperson for the project. As a project manager, I am responsible for the project start to finish through the software lifecycle and lead cross-division teams to achieve that end. I do the same level of work as the other people in my team (who are 20-30 years older than me) and have titles like VP, and have been very successful with all the projects I've led. The two people I will be getting recommendations from are my enthusiastic mentors, give me excellent performance reviews, and should be giving me great recommendations.
4. My career path of getting into MC in the short term, specializing in the tech industry flows with my past experiences. My experience as a business analyst (interviewing clients/eliciting requirements/presenting to the clients) and a project manager (strategic thinking, people leadership) strongly echo the required skills in the field.

I plan to apply to the following schools:
HBS
Wharton
Kellogg
Booth
Tuck
Columbia
Ross

Additional questions:
1. Are there any other schools you recommend that I check with strengths in management consulting placements in the big 3 firms?
2. Should I consider replacing one of the above schools with Sloan?
Agreed that there do not seem to be any real safety schools on this list. I'm targeting schools with strong placements in the big 3 firms.

Grazie,
Ezekiel2517

I eat your big kahuna burger. I eat it up!

1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consultant

Kudos [?]: 567 [1], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2009, 08:51
This post received
KUDOS
First, I dig the photo.

Overall, schools outside of H/S/W you should be competitive for. For consulting firms (including McKinsey, Bain, BCG), there are plenty of top schools where they recruit heavily, so it's not like you need to go to HBS for that (nor will going to HBS necessarily improve your chances compared to say, Kellogg -- since it comes down to how well you interview, and your chances of getting that interview invite are basically the same whether it's at Kellogg/Chicago or at HBS/Wharton - i.e. they interview virtually everybody that submits their resume).

As such, you should target schools where you have the best shot of getting in.

I would look at the following schools:

Chicago/Kellogg/Columbia/Tuck - these are schools you should focus on. Schools that are a slight stretch, but with strong applications you should be in the mix; maybe swap in Sloan for Tuck, depending on fit (they are both small schools, with different cultures, so it's a matter of fit).

Ross/Darden/Duke - choose two of these three, all of which have strong consulting recruiting; you'll be competitive for these schools (but they're not safeties)

By choosing 5-6 schools from these two tiers, you should be able to get into at least one of them as long as you put in a strong effort on the applications (and a wee bit of luck of course).

Also, don't focus solely on "top 3" firms. There are plenty of consulting firms out there that do great work. Keep in mind that the only people in this world that seem to be by far the most preoccupied with the "brand name" of a consulting firm are MBA applicants and students. It's not like you're walking on water at McKinsey compared to Deloitte when it comes down to the actual work you're doing post-MBA.

Oh, and tell Vincent Vega that he has my suitcase.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com

Current Student

Schools: Tuck Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2009, 17:31
Guess you look like Marcellus Wallace.

Thanks a lot for the feedback mate. Very helpful.
About why I'm targeting the big 3 (actually 4. Booz included): I would like to pursue a career in management consulting upon graduation, and MC divisions of the other shops (Accenture, Deloitte,IBM...) simply do not compare to M/B/B. The other firms tend to be more operations/technology consulting focused. Projects with companies that bring in M/B/B tend to involve high level strategy which is precisely what I am interested in. It is not really about the brand name. It's just that I'm not really interested in the implementation side of consulting and would much rather work full-time in strategy.
Which is why I have been selecting schools based on the number of students they pick up in a year. While I know that there is no difference between HBS and Booth to an M/B/B recruiter, schools like Stern which do place students at M/B/B may not have a dedicated relationship with the firms, and hence the chances of my landing a job at the firms is lowered. Fuqua looks promising (placed 24 students full-time in M/B/B last year), Darden less so (9 in Bain, 4 or less in McK or BCG).

The reason I piked HBS and Wharton in my list is because they're brilliant schools and offer great experiences. Do you think it would be a wasted app to apply to either, or is there a chance I might get in with near-pulitzer level essays?

Any advice on how I should split up the rounds for 6-7 schools? I'm already at work on creating my stories for the essays and will start on the essays soon. You think I might be able to crack 5 schools in R1, or is that too much? The opinion I've gathered is that with common demographics (Indian male IT) like mine, one has a better chance of getting in in R1 because the adcom has not yet tired of seeing the nth desi engineer. Also, any opinions on Columbia's ED round?

Thanks again good sir,
Ezekiel2517

I eat your big kahuna burger. I eat it up!

1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consultant

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2009, 11:43
This post received
KUDOS
For Wharton and HBS, they will be a long shot, even with exceptional essays. As such, it's not like I'm saying you shouldn't bother at all, but that if you do, treat them for what they are -- a lottery ticket.

As for school rounds, it doesn't matter -- if you can get them all in one round, that would be ideal (rather than spreading your efforts across two rounds, which can lead to burn out). Rounds 1 or 2 won't make a difference.

You can put 10 Indian engineers with near-identical resumes and personal backgrounds in a room and ask them "tell me about yourself" (which is the overall question that b-school applications are asking). Five of them will blend into one another, whereas the other 5 will come across as 5 distinct individuals, even if they are talking about the same things. It's not just what you convey, but how you convey it.

As for Columbia ED, go for it.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 3

Schools: Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2009, 11:22
ezekiel2517 wrote:
Guess you look like Marcellus Wallace.
Projects with companies that bring in M/B/B tend to involve high level strategy

Let me tell you: it might have been true in the past, it's far from necessarily true nowadays. If you don't want to do implementation, don't go into M/B/B.

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile evaluation request   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2009, 11:22

Profile evaluation request

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap