Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.43
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Request...and some more [#permalink]
Expert Reply
shahibipul wrote:
Thanks a lot Jon for your valuable inputs. Will work on the voluntary work part and should have something to show by the time I apply.

However, I would like to pick your brains a bit more on the schools selection (point 2). Am encouraged by the fact that Top 20 is realistic for me, but 20 is a pretty big list. I am able to shortlist schools based on factors like mode of teaching, class size, incoming class profile etc. but I want your suggestion on two counts (only US schools): a) of these top 20, which should be match schools based on my profile b) should I prefer any particular Geography (within USA), if I want to stick to my industry. Also, forgot to mention an important point - I'd be 30 at the time of application, should that influence my decision on schools?

Well, some things to think about are:
- Connections to your industry (who recruits at said schools)
- Location preference (if you have one)
- Personal fit (this is the hardest one to understand without actually attending the school, but by reading everything you can get your hands on, speaking to people and visiting, you can figure this out)
- School size and teaching methodology

And so on. If you send me your short list + reasoning behind all your choices, I can critique it for you and perhaps make some suggestions for changes/additions,

Best,
JF
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Great, will get back to you for suggestions once I have arrived ar my list. No comments on the age factor?
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
shahibipul wrote:
Great, will get back to you for suggestions once I have arrived ar my list. No comments on the age factor?

Oh.. I forgot to answer that. 30 is totally fine. On the older side, but still pretty "normal".
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Jon,

Long time! But have made some progress with the application and schools. Have a decent GMAT score now (740, V41, Q49, AWA 4.5 :( and IR 7). Want to discuss with you my choice of schools and chances of getting through those. My selection has been guided primarily by my post MBA goal, which is to take up a Gen Mgmt role in manufacturing sector (have a somewhat clearer idea on the exact companies to target, but that discussion is for another day!). Geography is not a big factor, but have stuck to schools in East Coast and Midwest. So, here goes my list:

1) Harvard: Gen Mgmt and the 'halo' around Harvard! :)
2) Kellogg: Brand value; Marketing focus suits me given my current Mkt Dev role (plus more than decent for Gen Mgmt); strong community aspect
3) Tuck: Like everything about it: course structure, close knit group, idyllic location, small class size
4) Darden: Strong faculty; Gen Mgmt focus (some more research needed on my part). One thing I am a bit unsure about is the predominant case study approach, having studied all my life through a traditional lecture method.
5) Ross: MAP seems to be the deal clincher here, good manufacturing focus, like the sport culture part :)
6) Sloan: In two minds over this, given the apparent 'geekiness' and a strong tech focus. At the same time I feel my R&D background and filed patents might make me a good candidate (do they?). Plus MIT as a brand esp for an engineering student from India, is huge!!
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
shahibipul wrote:
Hi Jon,

Long time! But have made some progress with the application and schools. Have a decent GMAT score now (740, V41, Q49, AWA 4.5 :( and IR 7). Want to discuss with you my choice of schools and chances of getting through those. My selection has been guided primarily by my post MBA goal, which is to take up a Gen Mgmt role in manufacturing sector (have a somewhat clearer idea on the exact companies to target, but that discussion is for another day!). Geography is not a big factor, but have stuck to schools in East Coast and Midwest. So, here goes my list:

1) Harvard: Gen Mgmt and the 'halo' around Harvard! :)
2) Kellogg: Brand value; Marketing focus suits me given my current Mkt Dev role (plus more than decent for Gen Mgmt); strong community aspect
3) Tuck: Like everything about it: course structure, close knit group, idyllic location, small class size
4) Darden: Strong faculty; Gen Mgmt focus (some more research needed on my part). One thing I am a bit unsure about is the predominant case study approach, having studied all my life through a traditional lecture method.
5) Ross: MAP seems to be the deal clincher here, good manufacturing focus, like the sport culture part :)
6) Sloan: In two minds over this, given the apparent 'geekiness' and a strong tech focus. At the same time I feel my R&D background and filed patents might make me a good candidate (do they?). Plus MIT as a brand esp for an engineering student from India, is huge!!

"Decent"?? Are you kidding me? That's a bit of an understatement there aint it? I'd call it a monster GMAT score :)
So first of all, I think a big hefty congratulations is in order, yeah? Well there you go, congrats.

Your school list is basically a good one, and makes sense. I think aiming for Top seems like the right way to go (You can add in one safe school in the 10-20 range to balance out your strategy). But that's that. Now it's basically just time for you to get started writing. :)

If there's any other way I can be of help, drop a line,
Best,
JF
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Dear Jon,

I am a bit confused about who I should get my recommendations from. I worked with R&D for 3 years and 5 months (2009-12) and then with a JV company in Mkt Dev role for the remaining time i.e. 1 yr 8 months at the time of application. Though my current company is a JV of the former company, the role, the management and the people who supervise me are completely different. Now I have basically three options for recommendations:

1) My first boss from R&D who supervised me for 2 years (2009 - 11) and then retired - He is still associated with the company in a different role though and we are in touch ever since. I did some really good work under him, he knows me quite well and he will give me a good recommendation too.

2) My boss's boss from R&D - he is a foreign national, an employee of our Europe division and was the chief of India R&D from 2009-2012. I have worked closely with him, he sent me to a foreign assignment and used to review my projects regularly. As the editor of a quarterly magazine (among other things), I interacted quite frequently with him. I have discussed my career with him and he is supportive of my going for an MBA. He is himself and MBA and he has enthusiastically agreed to recommend me.

3) One of my seniors in the current job - I am unable and unwilling, too, to ask my current direct supervisor. Although I have done well in my current job and he has a good opinion of me, we really do not interact very much. He sits in the corporate office in a different city and I am in charge of a different region. We talk mostly when a problem arises or during monthly reviews. He does not know me well personally, in fact we have met only once right after I took up this position! Add to that, he will not encourage any idea of me going anywhere. There is another person, who is the Head of Sales in my region, quite senior to me and one of the oldest employees of the company. We have worked relatively closely - went together on a foreign assignment and meet customers together. He is not a great writer but will surely help.

So there are these three options. I had initially decided on the first two, but since the third one is from a current job which is more business oriented, I am reconsidering. Your advice will be really helpful.

Regards,
Bipul
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
shahibipul wrote:
Dear Jon,

I am a bit confused about who I should get my recommendations from. I worked with R&D for 3 years and 5 months (2009-12) and then with a JV company in Mkt Dev role for the remaining time i.e. 1 yr 8 months at the time of application. Though my current company is a JV of the former company, the role, the management and the people who supervise me are completely different. Now I have basically three options for recommendations:

1) My first boss from R&D who supervised me for 2 years (2009 - 11) and then retired - He is still associated with the company in a different role though and we are in touch ever since. I did some really good work under him, he knows me quite well and he will give me a good recommendation too.

2) My boss's boss from R&D - he is a foreign national, an employee of our Europe division and was the chief of India R&D from 2009-2012. I have worked closely with him, he sent me to a foreign assignment and used to review my projects regularly. As the editor of a quarterly magazine (among other things), I interacted quite frequently with him. I have discussed my career with him and he is supportive of my going for an MBA. He is himself and MBA and he has enthusiastically agreed to recommend me.

3) One of my seniors in the current job - I am unable and unwilling, too, to ask my current direct supervisor. Although I have done well in my current job and he has a good opinion of me, we really do not interact very much. He sits in the corporate office in a different city and I am in charge of a different region. We talk mostly when a problem arises or during monthly reviews. He does not know me well personally, in fact we have met only once right after I took up this position! Add to that, he will not encourage any idea of me going anywhere. There is another person, who is the Head of Sales in my region, quite senior to me and one of the oldest employees of the company. We have worked relatively closely - went together on a foreign assignment and meet customers together. He is not a great writer but will surely help.

So there are these three options. I had initially decided on the first two, but since the third one is from a current job which is more business oriented, I am reconsidering. Your advice will be really helpful.

Regards,
Bipul

Bipul,
Basically your instincts are right. One and two are the better choices. Buuuuuuuuut there's a problem. Unless you have a good reason you pretty much HAVE TO have a rec from your current job (otherwise it looks weird, and the first thing I would ask myself is "what's wrong"). do you have any other options at your current job? Like a project manager? Or a manager's manager? Or someone else who supervises you who you could ask?

Jon
Manager
Manager
Send PM
There is another option. He was my manager's manager. But he WAS, and has now moved to another organization. He is willing to recommend me, and he is a terrific writer too, but then it is almost a year since he moved.So basically we worked together for some 7-8 months. Good option?
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
shahibipul wrote:
There is another option. He was my manager's manager. But he WAS, and has now moved to another organization. He is willing to recommend me, and he is a terrific writer too, but then it is almost a year since he moved.So basically we worked together for some 7-8 months. Good option?

Seems good to me. You might have to explain why you chose him, but then again maybe not. but if he's a good writer and likes you, then he should probably be your recommender for your current job.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Jon,

Really happy to let you know I got accepted to Tuck and still have some hope with HBS, not that I am waiting for it :). You (and this forum) have been of really great help to me.
Sincere thanks.

Bipul
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shahibipul wrote:
Hi Jon,

Really happy to let you know I got accepted to Tuck and still have some hope with HBS, not that I am waiting for it :). You (and this forum) have been of really great help to me.
Sincere thanks.

Bipul

Congratulations Bipul!
I'm veeeeery happy to hear that. You've been going at so long and hard. I'd say you deserve that nice admit!
:)

Best,
Jon
Moderator:
Admissionado
9218 posts