GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 22 Apr 2018, 03:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation request - gmat score 720

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Evaluation request - gmat score 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 08:49
Hi,

I wrote my second gmat and got a score of 720 ( Q49, Verbal 38, IR 8, AWA - 4.5)

10th - 90.2 ( 3rd rank in class )
12th - 88.8 ( class topper )
BTech - Computer Science ( BIT Mesra, 2011-15, GPA: 8.2/10)

Work Exp: Developer Analyst in Goldman Sachs ( 2015 june - present ) - almost 2.5 years as of now.
>> I have been working on business side facing teams but my work mostly involved software development.
>> Lead a team of 30 employees for a day to organize an event at an NGO.
>> Rated 'Outstanding' for two consecutive years by peers.
>> Organised training for juniors.

International Exposure: Was part of a 2 months training program in New York HQ of Goldman Sachs where I interacted with senior people and colleagues from different region like London, Singapore, Tokyo, etc.
Extra Curriculum:
>> Collected more than Rs. 80,000 for Oxfam (Charity organisation) and will walk 100kms in 30 hours for it.
>> Reached finals of Impact fund where I pitched for my chosen NGO infront of a panel of MDs. If won, my NGO will get a grant of (20,000$-50,000$$)
>> Marathon runner ( ran 21km marathon in 1 hours 30 mins)
>> Singer (my song was viewed 1Lakh times on youtube)
>> Won intern school tennis competition once.
>> Won a free style Ganga Marathon, where one had to swim 3kms in Ganga river.
>> Part of SEEDS asia ( volunteer work )

I am still thinking if I should apply to US bschools because of the H1-B VISA problem and the risks involved. But if I apply, I would like to apply to these bschools next year:

1) Harvard,
2) Wharton,
3) Chicago Booth,
4) Yale,
5) NYU Stern
6) Cornell,
7) Tuck
8) Darden,
9) Ross,

Europe
10) INSEAD,
11) HEC Paris,

I have some time till I apply next year. I want to pursue career in consulting/finance. Being an IT Male engineer, I was thinking if I should focus on writing gmat once again or I should work on things which will help me later in career like (switching to some consult, Writing exams like CFA, FRM)??
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation request - gmat score 720 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 14:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there, thanks for posting!

First, on the job/visa front, it's worth doing more research on that, checking each school's employment stats and talking to current international students at each school. Certain fields (like consulting) are usually more open to sponsoring visas for international students. Large companies too.

Next, I do think retaking your GMAT is a good idea. You've got a competitive list of schools and the GMAT score is still within your control.

As far as other ways to improve before you apply -- 1) Is any more international exposure possible? That would be a nice plus. 2) Are you in line for a promotion? That would look great. 3) Can you get any exposure to non-engineering teams? That would help to ease the transition to your goals.

I like your idea about the CFA, especially if you want to pursue finance. That will boost your academic credentials too.

Otherwise, keep up the great extracurricular involvement, and hope you win the grant!

Best of luck,
Kate

utkbits wrote:
Hi,

I wrote my second gmat and got a score of 720 ( Q49, Verbal 38, IR 8, AWA - 4.5)

Work Exp: Developer Analyst in Goldman Sachs ( 2015 june - present ) - almost 2.5 years as of now.
>> I have been working on business side facing teams but my work mostly involved software development.

International Exposure: Was part of a 2 months training program in New York HQ of Goldman Sachs where I interacted with senior people and colleagues from different region like London, Singapore, Tokyo, etc.
Extra Curriculum:
>> Collected more than Rs. 80,000 for Oxfam (Charity organisation) and will walk 100kms in 30 hours for it.
>> Reached finals of Impact fund where I pitched for my chosen NGO infront of a panel of MDs. If won, my NGO will get a grant of (20,000$-50,000$$)

I am still thinking if I should apply to US bschools because of the H1-B VISA problem and the risks involved. But if I apply, I would like to apply to these bschools next year:

1) Harvard,
2) Wharton,
3) Chicago Booth,
4) Yale,
5) NYU Stern
6) Cornell,
7) Tuck
8) Darden,
9) Ross,

Europe
10) INSEAD,
11) HEC Paris,

I have some time till I apply next year. I want to pursue career in consulting/finance. Being an IT Male engineer, I was thinking if I should focus on writing gmat once again or I should work on things which will help me later in career like (switching to some consult, Writing exams like CFA, FRM)??

Kate Richardson
Senior Consultant, mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 23:11
mbaMissionKate wrote:
Hi there, thanks for posting!

First, on the job/visa front, it's worth doing more research on that, checking each school's employment stats and talking to current international students at each school. Certain fields (like consulting) are usually more open to sponsoring visas for international students. Large companies too.

Next, I do think retaking your GMAT is a good idea. You've got a competitive list of schools and the GMAT score is still within your control.

As far as other ways to improve before you apply -- 1) Is any more international exposure possible? That would be a nice plus. 2) Are you in line for a promotion? That would look great. 3) Can you get any exposure to non-engineering teams? That would help to ease the transition to your goals.

I like your idea about the CFA, especially if you want to pursue finance. That will boost your academic credentials too.

Otherwise, keep up the great extracurricular involvement, and hope you win the grant!

Best of luck,
Kate

utkbits wrote:
Hi,

Extra Curriculum:

1) Harvard,
2) Wharton,
3) Chicago Booth,
4) Yale,
5) NYU Stern
6) Cornell,
7) Tuck
8) Darden,
9) Ross,

Europe
10) INSEAD,
11) HEC Paris,

So that was my question. I can focus on only one thing - CFA or GMAT score improvement. Given I have a score of 720 already, what will help more: a score of 750 or CFA/FRM on my essay to convince people that I am good with finance.
Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 09:05
A higher GMAT would help more! So if you think you can raise it to that level, I would prioritize that.

utkbits wrote:

So that was my question. I can focus on only one thing - CFA or GMAT score improvement. Given I have a score of 720 already, what will help more: a score of 750 or CFA/FRM on my essay to convince people that I am good with finance.

Kate Richardson
Senior Consultant, mbaMission

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insider's Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Profile Evaluation request - gmat score 720

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap