Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Request- Indian Female 29/ GMAT700/6 yrs exp [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ushakg388 wrote:
StratusMBACounselor wrote:
ushakg388 wrote:
Hi Stratus Consulting! I see that you are very responsive to profile evaluation requests! I hope you spare some time for evaluating mine as well.
Hi ushakg388, thanks for noticing that I do try to respond quickly to profile requests here and I sincerely try to give you some good thoughts about your profile. Will do so below... Thank you Donna for your thorough analysis and addressing every aspect of my query :) Does keep up my hope of applying and getting through schools.
Nationality: Indian
Female
GMAT: 700 (Q-43, V-42, IR-7, AWA-6.0) Female- good, age- fine, GMAT coming from Indian pool: not as strong as it could be- but if considered in overall applicant pool fine. The problem is you are considered among other Indian applicants so that 43Q is not going to be your best friend here in this process... Yes, I was afraid of that!

Undergraduation: Mechanical Engineering from JNTU (top 10 universities, non-IIT), GPA: 3.90/5 ; Revived and headed the Literature club at college apart from active participation in Tech fests. Interned at Indian Railways, submitting 3 research projects based on Computational Fluid Dynamics and Design & Engineering; Also interned at a Small Scale Enterprise to submit an original project work as part of course curriculum (dealing with new moulding techniques for automobile parts).OK- education does not stand out in applicant pool- but solid. I shall present it better.

Professional Work Experience: Business Analyst to Product Owner to Analytics Consulting in IT (4 years)- at Indian IT Majors- Infosys & Cognizant; R&D role in Computational Fluid Dynamics at Fiat Chrysler (2 years). I have pursued my career in line with my entrepreneurial interests-combining product/software development and Predictive Analytics for business decisions; leveraging software development and Agile practices and combining it with Automobile/Commuter systems for efficient design and development. Certifications include Scrum Certified Product Owner; ISTQB Foundation Level Certified Quality Analyst.

Leadership experience: Leading high performing teams at offshore to deliver on-time product increments in Agile/DevOps environments, by implementing DevOps and Shift-Left levers, leading to savings of 100k (pounds). Establishing TCOE at offshore through preparation of Test Strategy, Test and Resource Estimation, defining and measuring KPIs for automation projects, leading to 30% reduction in test times, 35% cost reduction and containing high severity defect leakage to 2%. Good work experience, rather typical for applicant pool Yes, I do agree. However, I shall present it better so that my leadership skills are visible. How do I link my personal experiences which tested me to the limit as a person and my phase of depression due to personal circumstances, but through which I continued to work and my positive responses to the situation and my will to see the phase through, with my narrative? I do feel it was my ambition which saw me through the dark phase and my refusal to give up which saw me through. How do I highlight this without coming across as braggy or melodramatic. And I did face 2 layoffs in my career..this was pretty challenging combined with my depression. Think about this like an adcom member-
you have about 20-30 minutes of their time to tell your story- so choose carefully what images you want to bring up- it is possible that when an adcom person reads about depression they may wonder if this will be an issue if tough times crept up in MBA program- while on the books this will not negatively impact a decision- you have to keep in mind you are filling the reader's mind with potential diversions to what you really want them to be thinking about- how your work experience prepares you to study MBA and for your post MBA goals. Everyone goes through tough times, everyone struggles on something- if you bring it up- focus on what YOU LEARNED and HOW YOU ARE STRONGER for it- don't wallow in anything negative as that does not help your case. I would mention layoffs as that is part of work history- but focus on how you rebounded and what you learned from experience.

Extra Curriculars include being part of CSR initiatives and active contribution to newsletters at Fiat Chrysler; Being part of Toastmasters and ILI (infosys Leadership Institute) at Infosys; Active participation in Tech Hackathon and Innovation challenges at Cognizant. I would encourage you to think about how you have demonstrated impact in these activities- not just the participation-
but how did you drive change in any of these? The Hackathon experience is interesting and you may be able to show some leadership from this. Here's an article about how to showcase leadership skills: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... p-profile/
Yes, this has me thinking. Will develop it in those lines.

MBA Target Schools: NYU Stern, CMU Tepper, Ross, Haas, Chicago Booth.Of this group, I would say Tepper is your best shot- you would have to absolutely hit a home run on the essays and interview and application to break through to the others on the 43 Q score.
Stretch Schools: MIT LGO, Cornell, Columbia, Tuck.The avg GMAT of MIT LGO is 728, and my completely unofficial-
just my opinion - guideline is for Indian candidates to be 20 points over the stated average of a school to be competitive- assuming all else is strong- so I am not feeling the MIT LGO for you right now. You might get the best traction from Cornell from this list. I would suggest you look also at some schools like Kelley, Carlson. Another strategy is to look at the B schools that need more women in their class- here is a link to show some scores there: https://poetsandquants.com/2015/05/02/a ... s-schools/ and so INSEAD and IE B School both look like they'd want their female representation to go up- so that's another strategy on shortlisting schools. UNC Kenan-Flagler needs more qualified women so you might present well there in the early admit round. Those are some ideas. You can do strategy - maybe not M/B/B - but all these programs I mention have strong consulting pipelines.
Yes, I was afraid of applying to Booth, Haas and LGO given my quant score. I am considering UCLA Anderson, Duke, Georgia Tech and Darden instead. WIll these be a sure shot chance for me along with Tepper? Since I definitely have to join an MBA program in 2018 and do not wish to miss this chance. This is my one and only shot. There's no "sure thing"
in any of these programs- but your better odds are GA Tech on this list. If you apply to Duke, apply in the earliest round and also see if you can up the GMAT score even a few points as that could help too. Darden and UCLA are reaches but if you go deep in learning about the schools and why you fit you certainly have a chance to do well there. If you want extra coaching for any of these programs, reach out to us a this link for a free consult:https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/admissions/business-school-admissions-consulting-gmat-club-visitor/

Post MBA Plans: To work with M/B/B as a Strategy and Leadership consultant for 3-5 years and then transition to leadership role or start up an own venture. if you truly want to give yourself the best odds for M/B/B in strategy consulting then I would keep working on GMAT as consulting is the one hiring group that really pays attention to GMAT score- so this score not only impacts getting IN to MBA but also what kind of opportunities you have on the recruiting side...

Please let me know my chances at intended schools, especially Booth and Stretch schools.Booth just posted a new Nobel prize winning faculty member, a crazy high average GMAT, and was up over 30% in applications last time I heard reports on that-
so no, I'm not feeling terribly strong on your chances there unless you have something spectacular that I can't see here... maybe you have an uncle ready to donate a new building wing? I'm kidding... sort of... I think that Booth is becoming harder to get into- not saying you should not try- but just recognize they are getting applicants who have it all- the grades, the GMAT, the great work... and if they can fill their class with people who have it all.... they may not need to dip down to make concessions when there are some areas-
as there appear to be here- that could be improved. I give all this advice just to call reality as I see it- but that does not mean there are not exceptions to EVERY rule! If you feel you have compelling reasons why you fit at Booth, then you should apply and put forth a great application. We can help with that if you pursue that route- we have Booth alums on our counseling team and we have lots of experience helping people prepare Booth applications. To learn more how we help, go to this link: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/ If Booth is your dream school, then who am I to tell you not to try! Go for it... but add some safety schools too if you really want to be sitting in a B school class next fall! Best wishes! And here is a bonus article on how to approach the essays: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... 000-words/

Thank You!
Thank you so much for your detailed reply!

Best
Usha
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation Request- Indian Female 29/ GMAT700/6 yrs exp [#permalink]