GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 12:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request - Indian M (32)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 2.61
Profile Evaluation Request - Indian M (32)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 06:38
WE: 7 years at enrollment (Looking at Columbia's J term but open to regular term as well. Also looking at Kellogg 1 yr MBA)
GMAT: 700
Undergrad: IIT (CGPA 6.5/10)
Nationality: Indian Male
Work Ex:

2 years at India's top 3 prop trading organisations - Fixed income trader and derivatives analyst

2.25 years founded, conceptualised, launched and scaled my company to more than 100,000 users globally and grew the team to 16 people.

1.5 years as product manager at India's 2nd largest e-commerce firms in the kids category, with more than a million users. Worked in India and China.

0.5 years as Senior product lead at India's largest retail firm (Reliance)

Extra curriculars: Captain of hostel soccer team at IIT Delhi, established an NGO focused on rehabilitating encephalitis affected families in UP and raised funds, passively manage family investment fund of corpus > INR 50 lakhs

Long term goal: Equity investing in startups (VC).
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation Request - Indian M (32)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 18:12
Hi there,

With your years of experience, I think that's a smart move to look at "less traditional" MBA options like J-Term and 1 year programs (Cornell also has a 1 year program worth checking out if you haven't already). Remember that the shorter programs don't allow for time for an internship, so making a big career switch post MBA is a bit harder. VC is also a field that is notoriously hard to break into, unless you already have a lot of connections, so I would think about presenting a backup option for your goals too (just to show you thinking ahead).

But back to your profile -- your work ex is strong, especially having launched your own venture, gained international experience, and worked for some top brands. The "jumpiness" is something to think about, so make sure you have clear reasons for why you left each position and show some honest reflection on what you gained from those experiences and what's brought you to this point in your career.

Otherwise, I do worry about your academic stats for those two programs. IIT is of course great, but your GPA is quite low. I'd love for you to have a higher GMAT (720 or higher) to balance that out. Is a retake possible in time for your deadlines?

Best of luck!
Kate

Pillarsofcreation wrote:
WE: 7 years at enrollment (Looking at Columbia's J term but open to regular term as well. Also looking at Kellogg 1 yr MBA)
GMAT: 700
Undergrad: IIT (CGPA 6.5/10)
Nationality: Indian Male
Work Ex:

2 years at India's top 3 prop trading organisations - Fixed income trader and derivatives analyst

2.25 years founded, conceptualised, launched and scaled my company to more than 100,000 users globally and grew the team to 16 people.

1.5 years as product manager at India's 2nd largest e-commerce firms in the kids category, with more than a million users. Worked in India and China.

0.5 years as Senior product lead at India's largest retail firm (Reliance)

Extra curriculars: Captain of hostel soccer team at IIT Delhi, established an NGO focused on rehabilitating encephalitis affected families in UP and raised funds, passively manage family investment fund of corpus > INR 50 lakhs

Long term goal: Equity investing in startups (VC).

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 2.61

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 12:21
Hi Kate,

Thank you for your reply.

With regards to Cornell, I got into the programme this year but due to some health conditions could not attend the programme.

I'm looking at taking the GMAT before the end of September. Would you say with the current score of 700, I stand almost no chance of getting into Columbia?
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 11:33
Got it. I would not say no chance, especially with J-Term, I think it's possible, but Columbia is significantly more competitive than Cornell.

Good luck with GMAT if you do retake!
Kate

Pillarsofcreation wrote:
Hi Kate,

Thank you for your reply.

With regards to Cornell, I got into the programme this year but due to some health conditions could not attend the programme.

I'm looking at taking the GMAT before the end of September. Would you say with the current score of 700, I stand almost no chance of getting into Columbia?

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Profile Evaluation Request - Indian M (32)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap