Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
Re: profile evaluation, the EssaySnark way [#permalink]
Great attitude, MBArenaissance - and we especially appreciate the fact that you realize that nobody but the adcoms can say one way or another on your app till you hit 'Submit' (that seems to escape people sometimes). So we're offering ideas and input and it'll be up to you to execute, and them to decide. But in the context of those ideas, please know that we never would've suggested Stanford if we didn't think you had a chance. We typically spend our time talking people down from those lofty heights, since the odds are long and most people don't make it - and it's an awful lot of work, and heartache!!, for a low probability. At least, in most cases the chances are low. But we're seeing enough in your profile that this time it could be different. We would never steer someone in this direction if there wasn't that glimmer of hope.

Not to say that most people have ZERO chance but we also don't usually get to see these elements that we're seeing with you. So you should go for it if you're up for it.

Still thinking that some schools with an energy specialty would be more advantageous for you - while we acknowledge that you likely have a good foundation of industry knowledge, it's not graduate school level industry knowledge, and even more important, the recruiters you're likely going to be a better fit for are going to be looking for you at those energy-speciality schools. You won't be losing out completely if you skip them but you may be cheating yourself. So just wanted you to think about the overall strategy in that sense.

You asked about Wharton and again, it's one we already mentioned to you - we only throw out names of programs that we think people would have a shot at, so yes, at risk of repeating ourselves :-) Wharton is in range for you. They actually have a fit to you along a number of dimensions. And it's much easier to crack into Wharton than Stanford, in case you're feeling intimidated.

The undergrad marks matter but you've got other stuff going too. The schools don't get hung up on one thing, they look at the big picture. Your 'big picture' looks pretty OK so far to us. We don't know everything about you but what you've cared to share gives some hope.

Let us know if you have specific questions we can help with - you have options, which is great.

EssaySnark
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks again for your response....

I looked into Wharton(pro older applicants :-D ) and they're strong in Energy area as u said. I also checked out Duke and some others. Darden also....

Have really looked at the Texas schools but I'm sure UT and Texas A&M will be fine. Could u kindly throw out some more names that u cud recommend??? Thanks...

About Stanford again? They seem to be 'anti-older applicants', right? Doesnt say anything on their site. Could u shed more light on that please?

Forgot to ask, wud u consider a 31yr old applicant as 'old' (though I'll be 32 by next year matriculation, hopefully) and what advice can u give based on this fact?
Send PM
You've hit many of the schools we'd be suggesting for you. In Texas, Rice is also known as a good energy program - but it's possible you could get into a higher-ranked program than those. You can push them out to Round 2.

Stanford's students do tend to be slightly younger than some other schools like Wharton but you're still in range for them - 31/32 is not "too old" so you're not in trouble in that regard. :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hmmmm...
that's really good to hear...

U know what EssaySnark, I think I just might give Wharton or Stanford a shot, maybe even both... and in round1 no less... I know I've my work cut out for me but I'm up for the task, i'm already putting down some ideas on my essays and I'll most definitely send a draft to u once I'm done...(I can sense a connection here, btw me and u... :wink: ) The Stanford essays, phew? but hey, nothing good comes easy. But I'm definitely sketching that out....

So now I'm talking strategy... Do u think I shud give it a go round1 or wait till R2, I know they spit so much game about R1 & R2 being the same as far as competitiveness but I still feel it behooves me to send my app in R1, I believe its most advantageous to do so... But what say u, EssaySnark?

Also, I've a very important question question about career goals, coming from my educational/professional background, and wanting to sort of switch careers, wud that be a thing of concern to the adcoms?

Is it considered 'career changing', for a move from a technical side to a financial/businees/strategy/consulting side within the same industry? For instance...chemical engineer to finance analyst/ consultant? Sort of like, a lateral switch, for lack of a better term....

Some more info on my case: Even though I have mentioned my short term career goals(oil/gas finance analyst/consulting), I'm also interested in consulting generally and technology(say, Google, Apple etc)

The thing is I just want to have an open mind.. Is that really bad? I mean, isnt that one of the reasons to go to business school? To get top quality education, from faculty that are world experts in their respective fields (be it economics, finance, marketing, operations management etc). And while you are it, see what area that piques ur interest the most? Personally I"m looking forward to the education side of it, I am eager to learn about managerial finance, marketing and managing people in a business environment etc.... I also want to learn and see the different spectra of opportunities and where I can fit in the most.

Having said all this, wud I be at (any) disadvantage if I am to apply as a career changer? For someone like me that's open to a variety of directions, wud u advice I stick to my industry for sake of the applications?

I'm sorry EssaySnark, I know all this is longwinded and I realise you have tons of others' request to look into... I just want to paint a picture so u can 'get me'....

Really looking forward to ur (veteran) advice......

This whole MBA application journey is exciting... it's really forces the hitherto, 'un-introspective' ones to look deeper inside and find out what makes one tick....
wonderful experience....

Hope it turns out well...

sorry for the typos....
Send PM
Hey MBArenaissance - we didn't actually see many (any?) typos but we do have to please ask to write in real English - it's "you" and "your" (not "u" and "ur") - that txtspeak drives us a little batty.

But then, we maybe were batty already...

To your questions:

• Round 1 is ALWAYS better at the best schools. It's better all around, but at some schools it matters more. For the ones we're discussing, we highly recommend it.
  • Most people use bschool to change careers. If the short-term career goal is too wildly different from where the person is starting, then yes, it can raise red flags; that would need to be handled carefully. We talked about career-changers on the blahg here (there's actually a gazillion posts about goals, you might want to dig into them). The 'lateral switch' thing is a good way to put it.
  • The adcoms know that things will change and your life may take you in a very different direction from what you say on the essays - but what you say on the essays needs to be 100% true to your plans as you sit here today. Please don't try to game the system by writing about goals that you think sound good. Write about goals that you REALLY INTEND TO DO. That's the way to get into bschool.

Hope that helps - and we look forward to seeing an essay from you sometime soon! Keep us posted and let us know how things go.

EssaySnark
GMAT Club Bot