GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 07 Dec 2019, 07:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation - Traditional Turned Non-Traditional Candidate

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.59
Profile Evaluation - Traditional Turned Non-Traditional Candidate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2019, 13:56
Hi,

If you have some time, would be helpful getting some feedback on/evaluation of my profile:

GMAT Score: 720 (Q48|V41|IR7|AWA5)
GPA: 3.6 double major (3.7 BS in Econ, 3.8 BA in Psych) from T30 school, upward trend (3.4 first two years while playing NCAA collegiate sport, 3.8 last two years while no longer playing sport but interning at high-profile sports agency for 30 hours/week)
Post-Grad Work Experience:
1a. 1 year data analytics and scouting in baseball operations department of a major league baseball team
1b. 2 years investment banking at small boutique
1c. 4.5 years at large private equity fund of funds - promoted to VP
1d. Took the last year off to deal with sports injury that required multiple surgeries/depression from chronic pain.

Letters of Rec: Very strong from two partners at private equity firm
Extracurriculars: founder of chronic pain/depression support group, volunteer soccer coach
Race/Nationality: White/American
Sex: Male

Target: Top 15 (including M7).
Questions/Advice: I have just recently overcome injuries, taken the GMAT - should I apply in Round 3 this year or wait and apply in Round 1 next year?
Post-MBA Goals: Transition to healthcare strategy, preferably companies looking for non-traditional solutions to depression that would have been helpful in prior experience (i.e. Johnson and Johnson - newly approved Ketamine-based drug, companies looking at psilocybin).

Happy to share additional details if necessary.

Thanks for the help.

Best,
J
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation - Traditional Turned Non-Traditional Candidate  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 11:43
Hi jebstein,
Thanks for reaching out.

Let's start with your academic stats -- GPA looks great, especially the double major on top of athletics and I assume some fairly quantitative classes as part of your Econ major. Your GMAT is in good shape too though some top programs now have averages above 720. That won't hurt you too much and don't get me wrong, a 720 is an excellent score, but just know for some top schools you won't be helping to raise their GMAT average.

Career wise, the baseball experience really helps to differentiate what would otherwise be a more typical, yet strong, career path. Sorry to hear about the injury and experience over the last year. Unemployment is always slightly concerning to admissions but I think as long as you're upfront about that and explain why you had to take time away, it shouldn't be much of an issue. It's good that you will still have recommenders from your PE firm. I also think it will help to tie that experience in to your career goal story, like you stated. It is also great that you channeled that experience into helping others.

Round 3 is always really tough. I vote for waiting for Round 1 and doing it right. Making sure you visit all your schools before you apply, giving your recommenders ample time and yourself ample time to develop your story. Possibly even giving you a chance to take the GMAT again (if you've only taken once, you might see a slight bump if you retake) or even lining up a new position that's more related to your healthcare interests.

Hope that helps, and keep us posted if you have further questions or would like to sign up for a free phone consultation (link in my signature).
Good luck!
Kate

jebstein wrote:
Hi,

If you have some time, would be helpful getting some feedback on/evaluation of my profile:

GMAT Score: 720 (Q48|V41|IR7|AWA5)
GPA: 3.6 double major (3.7 BS in Econ, 3.8 BA in Psych) from T30 school, upward trend (3.4 first two years while playing NCAA collegiate sport, 3.8 last two years while no longer playing sport but interning at high-profile sports agency for 30 hours/week)
Post-Grad Work Experience:
1a. 1 year data analytics and scouting in baseball operations department of a major league baseball team
1b. 2 years investment banking at small boutique
1c. 4.5 years at large private equity fund of funds - promoted to VP
1d. Took the last year off to deal with sports injury that required multiple surgeries/depression from chronic pain.

Letters of Rec: Very strong from two partners at private equity firm
Extracurriculars: founder of chronic pain/depression support group, volunteer soccer coach
Race/Nationality: White/American
Sex: Male

Target: Top 15 (including M7).
Questions/Advice: I have just recently overcome injuries, taken the GMAT - should I apply in Round 3 this year or wait and apply in Round 1 next year?
Post-MBA Goals: Transition to healthcare strategy, preferably companies looking for non-traditional solutions to depression that would have been helpful in prior experience (i.e. Johnson and Johnson - newly approved Ketamine-based drug, companies looking at psilocybin).

Happy to share additional details if necessary.

Thanks for the help.

Best,
J

Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Profile Evaluation - Traditional Turned Non-Traditional Candidate

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate