It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 03:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation + Very Low IR vs. Top 20 US B-Schools

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Profile Evaluation + Very Low IR vs. Top 20 US B-Schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 13:18
Hi there!

I just appeared for my GMAT and scored 730 (V:49, Q:40). However, my IR score is very low - just 2 (out of 8). Should I retake my GMAT if I am targeting the top 20 B-Schools in US (might also consider Rotman in Canada)? I have already booked the date for the re-test (but I'm willing to cancel it if it is totally unnecessary).

Here are my profile details :

Education :
Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Science), Mumbai University
4 years aggregate = 54%
Final year aggregate = 60%

Work Experience :
3 years as a Senior Application Developer in an IT company based on pricing analytics.

After that I quit my job so as try out my hand at business. I temporarily started Web Development for known people and then later moved on to become a Freight Forwarder (logistics) as the business was closely related to my father's business and getting his clients on board was easier. This has been a period of low opportunity cost when compared to the potential in my earlier IT job (in which I was performing quite well). Just recently has the business started picking up, primarily because of the growth in my client's business. I did try to explore more business ideas (and a lot of time was spent on this), but the ideas did not turn out to be feasible. Overall, additional 3 years were spent working for my business post the IT job. That brings the total work experience to 6 years.

Currently I am in the process of setting up a healthcare service and training company with some of my friends, but this is a side project and my main priority is to complete my MBA and find a job.

Could you please evaluate my profile and provide your valuable input?

Thanks in advance!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Expert Post
Admissionado
G

Kudos [?]: 972 [0], given: 48

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile Evaluation + Very Low IR vs. Top 20 US B-Schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 03:59
rodeogenius wrote:
Hi there!

I just appeared for my GMAT and scored 730 (V:49, Q:40). However, my IR score is very low - just 2 (out of 8). Should I retake my GMAT if I am targeting the top 20 B-Schools in US (might also consider Rotman in Canada)? I have already booked the date for the re-test (but I'm willing to cancel it if it is totally unnecessary).

Here are my profile details :

Education :
Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Science), Mumbai University
4 years aggregate = 54%
Final year aggregate = 60%

Work Experience :
3 years as a Senior Application Developer in an IT company based on pricing analytics.

After that I quit my job so as try out my hand at business. I temporarily started Web Development for known people and then later moved on to become a Freight Forwarder (logistics) as the business was closely related to my father's business and getting his clients on board was easier. This has been a period of low opportunity cost when compared to the potential in my earlier IT job (in which I was performing quite well). Just recently has the business started picking up, primarily because of the growth in my client's business. I did try to explore more business ideas (and a lot of time was spent on this), but the ideas did not turn out to be feasible. Overall, additional 3 years were spent working for my business post the IT job. That brings the total work experience to 6 years.

Currently I am in the process of setting up a healthcare service and training company with some of my friends, but this is a side project and my main priority is to complete my MBA and find a job.

Could you please evaluate my profile and provide your valuable input?

Thanks in advance!

Hey dude,
Good to hear from you!
So to answer your first question: I don't recommend retaking the GMAT only for the IR. The main score is much much more important. On the other hand, if you ALSO feel like you can get a better overall score, it might make sense.

As fart as your chances go, I will need to understand a lot more about you and what you have done. I especially will need to know about your startup, and understand what you have accomplished, how big the teams you have led were, etc. etc.

Where do you work? What do you do? How quickly have you advanced? Do you have any leadership? What are your great achievements? Do you have notable community service or extra curriculars? Which school did you graduate from?

All of these will play important roles in your evaluation.
Best,
Jon

And feel free to drop us a line for a more full-on Free Consultation: http://bit.ly/mbafcGC

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 972 [0], given: 48

Profile Evaluation + Very Low IR vs. Top 20 US B-Schools

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: JonAdmissionado

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap