Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 11:49 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 11:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Re: X [#permalink]
Expert Reply
BonesMBA wrote:
PersonalMBACoach wrote:

Hey BonesMBA,

Thanks for posting! I've worked with a number of folks with similar profiles as yours (low 700's GMAT, decent GPA, W/M, PWM/commercial banking) who transitioned into IB. Based on what I've seen, you'll find good success applying to Fuqua, Ross, Johnson, Stern, Georgetown, and UNC (possibly Darden as well). UNC and Georgetown are good "safety" type schools that place well in banking. Tuck can be hit or miss, but also a decent banking school (don't think it places better than the ones listed though).

Schools like Wharton, CBS, Booth, etc. are looking for a bit of differentiation in the GPA and GMAT (740+ for folks that fit your profile), so while nothing is impossible, I'd imagine it would be a bit tough to gain acceptance without a higher GMAT. In my experience, clients with 700-710 who are looking to transition to IB have faced difficulties with these schools.

Feel free to reach out if you are looking for some guidance on your applications - scott@personalmbacoach.com. Would be happy to walk through your profile in a bit more depth and see if it would make sense to potentially work together on your apps.

Regards,

Thank you! So it sounds like you think my outline of reaches/targets/safeties is pretty in-line then? I'd be completely happy with a Stern/Johnson/Darden level school. I am planning on one more GMAT retake before R2 to see if I can get to that next level as well.

I'd say you've got a pretty good sense of what's realistic here, just make sure to really execute on your applications and connect the dots in your essays! If you can get above 730, it would change things a bit, but to be quite fair, getting into IB from Fuqua/Ross/Johnson isn't all that different from CBS/Wharton. In fact, the case can be made to be a standout at a lesser school versus an average student at a top school, since the top banks will be all fighting for your attention.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: X [#permalink]