GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Mar 2019, 10:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Review

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2019, 16:28
Hello:

I plan to apply to business school in the fall of 2019. I've taken the GMAT and plan to re-take in a month, though based on my work schedule, I would be surprised if my next attempt is more than ~20 points higher.

GMAT: 710 (Q44 / V42 / IR8)
GPA: 3.7 (decent regional university, not nationally well-known)
Major: Accounting
Age / Gender / Nationality: 29 / Male / American

Work Experience (at matriculation):
- 2 years - Big 4 accounting (currently a CPA)
- 3 years - investment banking; promoted to Associate in 2 years (regional bank)
- 2.5 years - pre-MBA private equity associate; lower middle market fund (<$1 billion)

EC: pretty involved in a number of different organizations in college and post-college, though no meaningful leadership positions due to time constraints from work; currently involved in a group that mentors inter-city high school kids to help them get into college (1.5 hours every weekend during school year - have done this for ~2 years)

Think I can spin a pretty decent story in essays / application coming from an average accounting job out of undergrad and now working for a well-respected private equity firm. The VPs and MPs at my firm have MBAs from schools like Northwestern / Booth / Columbia

My goal would be to return to middle-market PE upon graduation.

Target schools: Wharton, Northwestern, Booth, Columbia, NYU

Thanks for reviewing my profile. Open to any suggestions on schools to target and ways to improve my profile over the next 6 or so months before applying. Planning on hiring a consultant in a few months to help with applications / process.
Admission Consultant
G
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)
Re: Profile Review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2019, 00:01
Generally speaking PE roles are not easily available for Immigrants within the US.

Can chat in detail, and answer your questions over a calL and free profile review.

PM your details or call

Posted from my mobile device

Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/

Personal MBA Coach Founder
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2019, 14:56
Troy39 wrote:
Hello:

I plan to apply to business school in the fall of 2019. I've taken the GMAT and plan to re-take in a month, though based on my work schedule, I would be surprised if my next attempt is more than ~20 points higher.

GMAT: 710 (Q44 / V42 / IR8)
GPA: 3.7 (decent regional university, not nationally well-known)
Major: Accounting
Age / Gender / Nationality: 29 / Male / American

Work Experience (at matriculation):
- 2 years - Big 4 accounting (currently a CPA)
- 3 years - investment banking; promoted to Associate in 2 years (regional bank)
- 2.5 years - pre-MBA private equity associate; lower middle market fund (<$1 billion)

EC: pretty involved in a number of different organizations in college and post-college, though no meaningful leadership positions due to time constraints from work; currently involved in a group that mentors inter-city high school kids to help them get into college (1.5 hours every weekend during school year - have done this for ~2 years)

Think I can spin a pretty decent story in essays / application coming from an average accounting job out of undergrad and now working for a well-respected private equity firm. The VPs and MPs at my firm have MBAs from schools like Northwestern / Booth / Columbia

My goal would be to return to middle-market PE upon graduation.

Target schools: Wharton, Northwestern, Booth, Columbia, NYU

Thanks for reviewing my profile. Open to any suggestions on schools to target and ways to improve my profile over the next 6 or so months before applying. Planning on hiring a consultant in a few months to help with applications / process.

Hi Troy,

Thanks for posting! You've got a solid work history and great progression in your career. I could see you doing very well at a number of schools.

That being said, to be more competitive at the schools you have listed, I'd like to see a GMAT closer to 730-740. In your case, it can be achieved by getting the quant to 47/48. 44Q is a touch on the low side despite a solid overall score. Do you have to take it in a month or can you give yourself a longer runway?

At this point, your goals (apart from the GMAT) would be to identify and speak with your recommenders and to do a bit of research on which schools send people in private equity and what percentage go into it. You could look at Yale as a potential add as well as Duke (if you wouldn't mind doing PE in the southeast).

Shoot me an e-mail at scott@personalmbacoach.com if you want to chat more about your candidacy. It seems like you've got a fairly good grasp on the process thus far and let's see if I can help going forward.

Regards,

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2019, 21:49
A few more reflections on your profile and plan Troy39:
  1. The career arc is definitely the star of your candidature. The transitions, as you have noted, will make for a solid story. It will be good to know the type of PE brands we are talking about though. Also, any career progression within the PE space?
  2. The GPA is good though the brand isn't there. That means working a bit overtime on the GMAT to bring that additional sheen on the academic front. A 740+ score may give you that additional push which currently might be a bit amiss due to lack of some brands.
  3. The ECs sound adequate. Instead of time, think about how you'll articulate and bring out the impact of your work and also, how that weaves into the overall story. 6 month is a short period, but if you've been associated with them for a while, see if you can overreach on this aspect by doing a few events/projects where you do take up leadership roles. While the transitions you've had our great, a possible flipside to that could be lack of professional leadership experience (?) which many of your colleagues from accounting and/or ib workplaces may have. Think about how you'll convince the adcom about your leadership potential.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers,

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Review   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2019, 21:49

Profile Review

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap