GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Apr 2019, 17:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Review - 710 GMAT, 3.4 GPA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Review - 710 GMAT, 3.4 GPA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2019, 12:32

Demographic:

25 year old male. US born and raised. East Asian heritage

Stats/ Academics:

GMAT Score: 710 Total, 40 Verbal, 48 Quant, 5 IR, 5.5 AWA

Undergrad GPA: 3.4000

Undergrad school/major: Top 30, Private, BS: Finance, Cum Laude, Chinese Language Minor (Fluent)

Work experience:

6 months at a Credit Card company (think: Synchrony) as a Senior Analyst (Marketing) - SQL/Excel oriented role.

2 years+ in corporate retail as a Inventory/Merchandise Analyst (think: Victoria Secret, Express).

Internships: Actuarial Intern 2015 (Insurance)/ Business Intelligence Intern 2014 (Retail)

Extracurricular:

Recent: 1 Pro-Bono Excel Teaching project for a Court Appointed Special Advocates, regular volunteer photographer for Habitat for Humanity (Nov 2018-Present).

College: Student Government Executive, Resident Adviser, 20+ hours/week in customer service/IT (Lead), Business Fraternity, Lead mentor for First Generation College students, Tour Guide,
-Lower GPA (3.40) can primarily be attributed to heavy extracurricular involvement. Self funded undergraduate education.

MBA Info:

Goal of MBA: Management Consulting Ex:Accenture

Target schools: Duke Fuqua, Cornell Johnson, CMU Tepper/ Starting year 2020

Questions
-Should I retake GMAT even though I'm above average at the schools I'm looking at? I'm worried about Quantitative score being relatively low (48Q) while also not having the strongest undergraduate performance in quantitative classes (3.0 major gpa)
-Is Duke too far of a reach to warrant applying? My research shows 700 GMAT but 3.48 GPA average.
-Any strengths I should highlight/Weaknesses I might have to explain?
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile Review - 710 GMAT, 3.4 GPA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 18:51
Hi there! Thanks for reaching out! I would recommend taking the GMAT again if there's any chance at all that you can improve your score. 710 is a solid score but it's not high enough above Cornell or Tepper's averages to really be a differentiator, especially since your quant score - and undergrad quant classes - are a bit on the low side. You still have some time before essays are released so I'd buckle down & do as much studying as you can to see if you can get a score more in the 730 range. Even if you can't budge your score above 710 I think you have a good shot at Cornell & Tepper assuming you've got some strong accomplishments at work under your belt, but Duke would be quite a bit of a stretch (more of an option if you can hit the 730 range). Given the fact that you're in an analyst role hopefully you have some recommenders who can also vouch for the strength of your quant skills as well.

In terms of weaknesses beyond those quant-related ones, it would be ideal if you had more extracurriculars where you'd had a chance to show a leadership role and/or drive results. At this point I wouldn't add on a brand new extracurricular since that can seem transparent (i.e. that you're doing it for the sake of your applications), but if there's any chance you can expand your role at Habitat for Humanity & do some work where you're leading a team, driving some quantitative results, etc that would be awesome. Otherwise you'll just want to be sure to emphasize the ways in which you plan to contribute outside the classroom while in b-school -- and you can still point to the leadership experience you had in your extracurriculars during college. The ideal is just to have some more recent ones as well.

Finally, it will just be critical to differentiate yourself so you don't blend in with the crowd of other applicants. Right now although they're solid, your GPA & GMAT are a bit average - and consulting is a very common post-MBA goal. You can differentiate yourself in a number of ways: the specific accomplishments & leadership experience you've had at work for example & how that's prepared you to make a unique contribution in the classroom. If you've had any personal experiences that were particularly difficult or played a bit part in shaping who you are or what you plan to do post-MBA those might also be part of how you stand out from the crowd. Choosing some unique post-MBA goals can be a way to differentiate yourself as well, but if you do decide to stick with consulting you'll want to be sure to make your story about WHY this is your goal as unique as possible. In other words -- what motivates you to want to pursue this goal? As a new consultant you won't have control over your projects & could be staffed on anything, but in the LT if you plan to become a partner you'll have the chance to have more of a niche so that's a place to differentiate yourself as well.

I think you have the makings of a strong application & so much is going to depend on how you use it to tell your story. If you need any help at all thinking through it feel free to reach out to us & we can set you up with a free consultation with one of our MBA consultants who can take a look at the details of your work experience & also help you start to think through your goals. Claudia can set you up if you reach out to her at claudia@admissionado.com.

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 09:40
Hi Jon,

Thank you for the advice. I will retake the GMAT and aim for a 730 on the second time around. I am glad to have a specific score to aim for.

I truly appreciate the detailed feedback with actionable recommendations. After I complete my second GMAT exam, I will be taking a deep look at Admissionado as my primary MBA application consultant.

Thank you!
-Sampson

Admissionado wrote:
Hi there! Thanks for reaching out! I would recommend taking the GMAT again if there's any chance at all that you can improve your score. 710 is a solid score but it's not high enough above Cornell or Tepper's averages to really be a differentiator, especially since your quant score - and undergrad quant classes - are a bit on the low side. You still have some time before essays are released so I'd buckle down & do as much studying as you can to see if you can get a score more in the 730 range. Even if you can't budge your score above 710 I think you have a good shot at Cornell & Tepper assuming you've got some strong accomplishments at work under your belt, but Duke would be quite a bit of a stretch (more of an option if you can hit the 730 range). Given the fact that you're in an analyst role hopefully you have some recommenders who can also vouch for the strength of your quant skills as well.

In terms of weaknesses beyond those quant-related ones, it would be ideal if you had more extracurriculars where you'd had a chance to show a leadership role and/or drive results. At this point I wouldn't add on a brand new extracurricular since that can seem transparent (i.e. that you're doing it for the sake of your applications), but if there's any chance you can expand your role at Habitat for Humanity & do some work where you're leading a team, driving some quantitative results, etc that would be awesome. Otherwise you'll just want to be sure to emphasize the ways in which you plan to contribute outside the classroom while in b-school -- and you can still point to the leadership experience you had in your extracurriculars during college. The ideal is just to have some more recent ones as well.

Finally, it will just be critical to differentiate yourself so you don't blend in with the crowd of other applicants. Right now although they're solid, your GPA & GMAT are a bit average - and consulting is a very common post-MBA goal. You can differentiate yourself in a number of ways: the specific accomplishments & leadership experience you've had at work for example & how that's prepared you to make a unique contribution in the classroom. If you've had any personal experiences that were particularly difficult or played a bit part in shaping who you are or what you plan to do post-MBA those might also be part of how you stand out from the crowd. Choosing some unique post-MBA goals can be a way to differentiate yourself as well, but if you do decide to stick with consulting you'll want to be sure to make your story about WHY this is your goal as unique as possible. In other words -- what motivates you to want to pursue this goal? As a new consultant you won't have control over your projects & could be staffed on anything, but in the LT if you plan to become a partner you'll have the chance to have more of a niche so that's a place to differentiate yourself as well.

I think you have the makings of a strong application & so much is going to depend on how you use it to tell your story. If you need any help at all thinking through it feel free to reach out to us & we can set you up with a free consultation with one of our MBA consultants who can take a look at the details of your work experience & also help you start to think through your goals. Claudia can set you up if you reach out to her at claudia@admissionado.com.
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 20:13
Good luck on the GMAT & we'll be here as soon as you are ready to dive into to those applications! :)

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Profile Review - 710 GMAT, 3.4 GPA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap