It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 23:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pronoun Revision: Created in 1731, Anders Celsius’ original

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Pronoun Revision: Created in 1731, Anders Celsius’ original [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 23:33
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:13) correct 31% (01:13) wrong based on 574 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

This question is part of the GMAT Club Sentence Correction : Pronoun Revision Project.

Created in 1731, Anders Celsius’ original thermometer had a scale where the value of 0 corresponded to the boiling point of water; after he died in 1744 the scale was reversed to its present form.

A. in 1731, Anders Celsius’ original thermometer had a scale where the value of 0 corresponded to the boiling point of water; after he died in 1744 the scale was reversed to its present form.

B. in 1731, Anders Celsius’ original thermometer had a scale in which the value of 0 corresponded to the boiling point of water; after his death in 1744 the scale was reversed to its present form.

C. in 1731, Anders Celsius’ original thermometer had a scale in which the value of 0 corresponded to the boiling point of water; after he died in 1744 the scale was reversed to its present form.

D. by Anders Celsius in 1731, his original thermometer had a scale in which the value of 0 corresponded to the boiling point of water; reversing the scale to its present form after his death in 1744.

E. by Anders Celsius in 1731, his original thermometer had a scale where the value of 0 corresponded to the boiling point of water; after his death in 1744 the scale reversed to its present form.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

1 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Pronoun Revision: Created in 1731, Anders Celsius’ original [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2015, 23:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Nice question. Chose B.
In A, 'where' usage is wrong. 'He' cannot refer to possessive noun.
In C, the same as in A.

If my post was helpful, press Kudos. If not, then just press Kudos !!!

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 01:58
This post received
KUDOS
“where” in A and E cannot refer to “scale”. “he” in C does not have a reference. D is not correct structure after the semicolon, since we should normally have an independent clause of a parallel list.

So, B is the best choice.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 03:41
This post received
KUDOS
B is the best choice. A and E are out because of "where". In D semicolon is incorrect since the second clause is run-on sentence. Between C and B...I think "after his death" sounds better than "after he died". Hope it helps

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 03:48
This post received
KUDOS
Ergenekon wrote:
Nice question. Chose B.
In C, the same as in A.

Hi Ergenekon! Could you please explain about possesive noun?=)). I don't get this idea. Thanks

5 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 05:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Konstantin1983 wrote:
Ergenekon wrote:
Nice question. Chose B.
In C, the same as in A.

Hi Ergenekon! Could you please explain about possesive noun?=)). I don't get this idea. Thanks

Would be glad to help. When we have a possessive noun as it is here -Anders Celsius’ original thermometer, we can't use pronouns such as 'he' to refer to it, because pronouns are used to refer to nouns or other pronouns. But here Anders Celsius’ is not a noun. It is used as an adjective to modify thermometer. However, we can use 'him' to refer to it in such sentences. Remember these as rules. No need to try to understand it wholly. Feel free to ask if you have further questions.

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 05:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Created in 1731, Anders Celsius’ original thermometer had a scale where the value of 0 corresponded to the boiling point of water; after he died in 1744 the scale was reversed to its present form.

A. in 1731, Anders Celsius’ original thermometer had a scale where the value of 0 corresponded to the boiling point of water; after he died in 1744 the scale was reversed to its present form.
''he' does not have proper antecedents... Anders Celsius’ is possesesive noun so should refer to 'his' as pronoun

B. in 1731, Anders Celsius’ original thermometer had a scale in which the value of 0 corresponded to the boiling point of water; after his death in 1744 the scale was reversed to its present form.
'he ' has been changed to his.. so correct

C. in 1731, Anders Celsius’ original thermometer had a scale in which the value of 0 corresponded to the boiling point of water; after he died in 1744 the scale was reversed to its present form.same problem as A

D. by Anders Celsius in 1731, his original thermometer had a scale in which the value of 0 corresponded to the boiling point of water; reversing the scale to its present form after his death in 1744.
by is wrong... and 2nd part is wordy..

E. by Anders Celsius in 1731, his original thermometer had a scale where the value of 0 corresponded to the boiling point of water; after his death in 1744 the scale reversed to its present form.by is wrong... and in 2nd part it seems as if scale reversed on its own..

ans B

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

BANGALORE/-

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2015, 22:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In the original sentence, the subject pronoun he cannot refer to the possessive noun
Anders Celsius’ (note the apostrophe). Possessive nouns such as Anders Celsius'
may only be the antecedents of possessive pronouns, such as his. Further, the use of
the relative pronoun where to describe the scale is incorrect since the pronoun where
can refer only to physical locations.

(A) This answer choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) CORRECT. This answer choice corrects the original pronoun issue by replacing
the subject pronoun he with the possessive pronoun his, which can legally refer to the
possessive noun Anders Celsius’. Furthermore, the relative pronoun which in the
phrase in which correctly refers to the immediately preceding noun a scale.

(C) By using the relative pronoun which in place of where, this answer choice corrects
one of the two pronoun problems in the original sentence. However, the subject
pronoun he cannot refer to the possessive noun Anders Celsius’.

(D) In this answer choice, the semicolon is used incorrectly to connect two clauses,
only one of which can stand alone. Specifically, the phrase reversing the scale to its
present form after his death in 1744 is not an independent clause and cannot follow
the semicolon.

(E) In this answer choice, the use of the relative pronoun where to describe the scale
is incorrect since this pronoun can refer only to physical locations. Furthermore, by
replacing the original passive construction was reversed with the active form
reversed, this answer choice illogically suggests that "a scale” changed itself rather
than was changed by others. While the active form is more concise, the use of the
passive construction in this case is warranted by the original content of the sentence.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2015, 01:14
This post received
KUDOS
Ergenekon wrote:
Konstantin1983 wrote:
Ergenekon wrote:
Nice question. Chose B.
In C, the same as in A.

Would be glad to help. When we have a possessive noun as it is here -Anders Celsius’ original thermometer, we can't use pronouns such as 'he' to refer to it, because pronouns are used to refer to nouns or other pronouns. But here Anders Celsius’ is not a noun. It is used as an adjective to modify thermometer. However, we can use 'him' to refer to it in such sentences. Remember these as rules. No need to try to understand it wholly. Feel free to ask if you have further questions.

Thanks Ergenekon! I read about possessive nouns but now i have a chance to apply my knowledge in practice. Yes i will contact you if i have a questions=))

1 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2015, 01:16
This post received
KUDOS
[/quote]Would be glad to help. When we have a possessive noun as it is here -Anders Celsius’ original thermometer, we can't use pronouns such as 'he' to refer to it, because pronouns are used to refer to nouns or other pronouns. But here Anders Celsius’ is not a noun. It is used as an adjective to modify thermometer. However, we can use 'him' to refer to it in such sentences. Remember these as rules. No need to try to understand it wholly. Feel free to ask if you have further questions.[/quote]

Thanks Ergenekon! I read about possessive nouns but now i have a chance to apply my knowledge in practice. Yes i will contact you if i have a questions=))[/quote]

You are welcome. You can google this question and see Ron's answers about this topic.

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2016, 03:41
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 18:20
souvik101990 wrote:
This question is part of the GMAT Club Sentence Correction : Pronoun Revision Project.

C. in 1731, Anders Celsius’ original thermometer had a scale in which the value of 0 corresponded to the boiling point of water; after he died in 1744 the scale was reversed to its present form.

E. by Anders Celsius in 1731, his original thermometer had a scale where the value of 0 corresponded to the boiling point of water; after his death in 1744 the scale reversed to its present form.

We have pronoun error in A and C.
where - refers to places only. A and E make the same mistake.
D - who does the reversing? it is understood that Anders Celsius. but in this case it is completely illogical. a person cannot do smth after his/her death.
D commits another error. semi-colon needs a complete clause. we don't have such in D.

A, C, D, and E are all eliminated, leaving us with B as the correct answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 11:10

he died is wrong,as there is no mention of anders celsius,it cannot refer to anders celsius.

B. in 1731, Anders Celsius’ original thermometer had a scale in which the value of 0 corresponded to the boiling point of water; after his death in 1744 the scale was reversed to its present form. Correct answer where he is replaced by his

C. in 1731, Anders Celsius’ original thermometer had a scale in which the value of 0 corresponded to the boiling point of water; after he died in 1744 the scale was reversed to its present form. same error as A

Reversing is wrongly used.

Where is wrongly used for scale.
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 09:42
But answer obtion B .His has no antecedent
Re: Pronoun Revision: Created in 1731, Anders Celsius’ original   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2018, 09:42

Pronoun Revision: Created in 1731, Anders Celsius’ original

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap