It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 09:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PT MBA - finding an internship outside of the school.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 20

Concentration: Statistics, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q36 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)
PT MBA - finding an internship outside of the school. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2013, 11:06
This post received
KUDOS
I realize that a PT MBA is traditionally there for the person who would like to stay in their current function/industry, but move up the ladder. And the FT program is there for the career switcher who would need an internship to help facilitate that transition.

However, I have read of some PT MBA students obtaining internships outside of their school (therefore quitting their current work), and I would like to hear if anyone knows or has heard of people doing the same? Or, if anyone has an input on how one could go about finding an internship on their own?

I realize that networking with current FT/PT students and reaching out to companies on your own is most certainty the bulk of the work, but I'm interested in seeing if any other ways are known - or just to hear some success stories. :-D

I ask this because I'm looking to do Booth, Ross, or Kellogg PT and would like to make a functional switch. A FT program isn't really an option for me nor do I think I could get into any of their FT programs; but I do think I have a shot getting into their PT programs.

Thanks! I look forward to your input!

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 20

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 1

Re: PT MBA - finding an internship outside of the school. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2016, 20:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Lots of people do internships during part time programs. The biggest challenge of course is that you probably won't be able to use the career center for it. You'll have to go off campus. The good news is many students do this, especially for jobs at smaller companies, international companies or startups. It's a pretty standard route. Find some alumni from your school at your target company and start cold calling. Try to get an informational interview and go from there. Good luck!

Mike
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

PT MBA - finding an internship outside of the school. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 07:44
VeritasPrepMike wrote:
Lots of people do internships during part time programs. The biggest challenge of course is that you probably won't be able to use the career center for it. You'll have to go off campus. The good news is many students do this, especially for jobs at smaller companies, international companies or startups. It's a pretty standard route. Find some alumni from your school at your target company and start cold calling. Try to get an informational interview and go from there. Good luck!

Resurrecting this thread because I'm in this search phase now. Digital Marketer with 5 years experience looking to get into BM. My issue is my alumni network seems to have scant people who are in this industry (school\s focus was Accounting for business). I've gotten feedback from someone who attended a T50/60 program PT (which I'm considering) that neither the program nor college provides much help, as the school isn't a target for those companies (they actually have an internship program for PT students, but I guess its irrelevant if you cannot find a suitable internship).

You mentioned going off-campus for recruiting. If your network doesn't have many links to a industry (and none to the specific company looking for), and your PT school is not a target for recruiters (both options ranked T-50ish but their focus is on Accounting/Finance), what other methods can you employ to get a solid PT internship at your target company/industry?

TBH, my field is in-demand and specialized enough that I could easily quit my position, do a internship, and find another role quickly (even if it is lower in stature). Logistically it should be very easy (get a AirBnB spot for a few months and fly over to the internship). The question is, how do you get access without those connections in place? I know there are diversity forums, but those aren't super common and happen only a few times per year.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

PT MBA - finding an internship outside of the school.   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2017, 07:44

PT MBA - finding an internship outside of the school.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap