GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 17:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

December 09, 2018

December 09, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Purchasing MGMAT Books on Amazon vs Manhattan Website

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Purchasing MGMAT Books on Amazon vs Manhattan Website  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Aug 2018, 09:20
Hi all - long time follower of the forum here. I'm looking to get more active as I begin my journey to study for the GMAT and look forward to interacting more with you all!

To that end, can someone help me understand the ~80% price difference in price of the MGMAT book bundle between Amazon and the Manhattan Prep website? Do the books purchased from Manhattan Prep come with something extra that I'm overlooking? As far as I can tell, the books on Amazon come with access to the online question bank as well as the CATs, so what else could be driving the price difference - is it simply a Manhattan Prep markup?

I'm not able to post links yet, but the sets I'm looking at are:
- (Amazon): Complete GMAT Strategy Guide Set (Manhattan Prep GMAT Strategy Guides) Sixth Edition
- (Manhattan Prep): Complete Strategy Guide Set, 6th Edition

Apologies in advanced for the potentially novice question - something just isn't adding up here and I don't want to waste money buying straight from Manhattan Prep!

Thanks again!

EDIT: Separately, does anyone have any insight into when the 7th edition may be released? I've been doing some research and it appears folks were expecting it last year, but it never came. Seems that not much has changed so a new book may not be warranted, but want to make sure I'm not buying just before a new release!

Originally posted by PrivateEquiteer on 15 Aug 2018, 17:25.
Last edited by PrivateEquiteer on 16 Aug 2018, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Purchasing MGMAT Books on Amazon vs Manhattan Website  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 19:45
PrivateEquiteer wrote:
Hi all - long time follower of the forum here. I'm looking to get more active as I begin my journey to study for the GMAT and look forward to interacting more with you all!

To that end, can someone help me understand the ~80% price difference in price of the MGMAT book bundle between Amazon and the Manhattan Prep website? Do the books purchased from Manhattan Prep come with something extra that I'm overlooking? As far as I can tell, the books on Amazon come with access to the online question bank as well as the CATs, so what else could be driving the price difference - is it simply a Manhattan Prep markup?

I'm not able to post links yet, but the sets I'm looking at are:
- (Amazon): Complete GMAT Strategy Guide Set (Manhattan Prep GMAT Strategy Guides) Sixth Edition
- (Manhattan Prep): Complete Strategy Guide Set, 6th Edition

Apologies in advanced for the potentially novice question - something just isn't adding up here and I don't want to waste money buying straight from Manhattan Prep!

Thanks again!
Maybe one of the Manhattan instructors can help you here, but I think you're looking at the same product, with the same online features.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 23:05
They are exactly the same.

Price can differ in retail vs discount channels. It's very common.
Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge
Purchasing MGMAT Books on Amazon vs Manhattan Website  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Aug 2018, 16:36
Hi PrivateEquiteer,

I'm not sure about 6th edition, but the 5th edition from Amazon had the scratch codes on the back page. And the books from official site did not, the activation was made by receipt. Otherwise, no difference at all.

Hope this helps!

Non progredi est regredi

Originally posted by Akela on 16 Aug 2018, 07:48.
Last edited by Akela on 16 Aug 2018, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 07:56
Akela wrote:
Hi PrivateEquiteer

I'm not sure about 6th edition, but when I the 5th edition from Amazon had the scratch codes on the back page. And the books from official site did not, the activation was made by receipt. Otherwise, no difference at all.

Hope this helps!

Very helpful - thank you! I will buy on Amazon and save ~$100!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 09:16
Akela wrote:
Hi PrivateEquiteer,

I'm not sure about 6th edition, but when I the 5th edition from Amazon had the scratch codes on the back page. And the books from official site did not, the activation was made by receipt. Otherwise, no difference at all.

Hope this helps!

I have the 6th Edition and it pretty much worked the same way for me too. Activation codes on the back of the books.
The MGMAT books always were more on their site - since the first time they started offering them. No idea why.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 09:19
bb wrote:
Akela wrote:
Hi PrivateEquiteer,

Hope this helps!

I have the 6th Edition and it pretty much worked the same way for me too. Activation codes on the back of the books.
The MGMAT books always were more on their site - since the first time they started offering them. No idea why.

Excellent - thanks for the confirmation.

Separately, does anyone have any insight into when the 7th edition may be released? I've been doing some research and it appears folks were expecting it last year, but it never came. Seems that not much has changed so a new book may not be warranted, but want to make sure I'm not buying just before a new release!
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 09:22
PrivateEquiteer wrote:

Separately, does anyone have any insight into when the 7th edition may be released? I've been doing some research and it appears folks were expecting it last year, but it never came. Seems that not much has changed so a new book may not be warranted, but want to make sure I'm not buying just before a new release!

April of 20XX :-)

Though they did release one of the editions in Nov/Dec of a year, it is pretty unusual to release them that late in the year, and most of the time, the books are released in Apr, May, and June for the new season.

Founder of GMAT Club

Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 09:24
bb wrote:
PrivateEquiteer wrote:

April of 20XX :-)

Though they did release one of the editions in Nov/Dec of a year, it is pretty unusual to release them that late in the year, and most of the time, the books are released in Apr, May, and June for the new season.

Understood and very helpful! I won't sit on my hands then!
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
WE: Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 09:28
So can we still get access to mgmat cats by buying just a single book?

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2018, 09:33
sandman13 wrote:
So can we still get access to mgmat cats by buying just a single book?

Posted from my mobile device

Not any more. There was a change in policy. You have to buy a whole bundle to activate all the CAT's.
When I was activating my 6th edition a year or two ago, it gave me a CAT with every book i activated so I had to activate 5 books to get 5 extra CAT's (6 total with 1 free).

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Purchasing MGMAT Books on Amazon vs Manhattan Website &nbs [#permalink] 16 Aug 2018, 09:33

Purchasing MGMAT Books on Amazon vs Manhattan Website

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap