It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 01:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Purdue dropped in FT 2016 MBA rankings

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 08 Oct 2014
Posts: 13

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Purdue dropped in FT 2016 MBA rankings [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 09:49
Guys,

Purdue does not feature in FT 2016 Top 100 MBA rankings !!

Should we be worried ?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Krannert Ambassador
User avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2015
Posts: 131

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 39

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q39 V34
GPA: 3.14
Reviews Badge
Re: Purdue dropped in FT 2016 MBA rankings [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 09:50
jeethm wrote:
Guys,

Purdue does not feature in FT 2016 Top 100 MBA rankings !!

Should we be worried ?


Which "rankings" are you looking at? There are dozens of different lists and they all have different schools in different spots. Frankley rankings are bogus in my opinion and don't matter a bit.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 39

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 08 Oct 2014
Posts: 13

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Re: Purdue dropped in FT 2016 MBA rankings [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 09:53
bbednar wrote:
jeethm wrote:
Guys,

Purdue does not feature in FT 2016 Top 100 MBA rankings !!

Should we be worried ?


Which "rankings" are you looking at? There are dozens of different lists and they all have different schools in different spots. Frankley rankings are bogus in my opinion and don't matter a bit.


This is the Financial Times Ranking 2016 which ranked Purdue at 48 last year. This was published last week. Below is the link.

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... nking-2016

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2013
Posts: 5

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 22

Purdue dropped in FT 2016 MBA rankings [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 10:07
jeethm wrote:
Guys,

Purdue does not feature in FT 2016 Top 100 MBA rankings !!

Should we be worried ?


I would agree to the fact that rankings are in fact not the true indicator of a school's potential. Each ranking use different set of indicators to create the list. Since international's can't visit US/Europe schools, these ranking's are a major indicator to decide which programs to target. Also the truth is that Ad-Com's do target to improve their rankings by improving avg GMAT or increasing diversity etc.
I know friends studying at Purdue and it's a grim atmosphere there as the schools perception has been on the downward slide for the past few years.
PS: The perception of an international student will definitely change. Which will in-turn reflect on the quality of applying.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 22

Krannert Ambassador
User avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2015
Posts: 131

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 39

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q39 V34
GPA: 3.14
Reviews Badge
Re: Purdue dropped in FT 2016 MBA rankings [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 10:14
Really? I have friends in the FT MBA program right now and both of them said that they had to turn down interview opportunities because there were so many companies coming to recruit from Purdue. (they are first year students) Im sure it depends largely on what field you are looking to go into post MBA. My friends I spoke with are both going into Marketing, but I would assume if you were trying to get into one of the big consulting companies then Purdue's reputation "slipping" might be more worry some for you. At any rate I don't think that companies are looking at the Financial times rankings and saying "hmmm well purdue is not listed on here this year so we won't hire anybody from Purdue"

Admittedly going to the right school can open doors, but who you are and what value you can add as an employee is much more important in getting a job than what school you went to.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 39

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 08 Oct 2014
Posts: 13

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 0

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Re: Purdue dropped in FT 2016 MBA rankings [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 10:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
bbednar wrote:
Really? I have friends in the FT MBA program right now and both of them said that they had to turn down interview opportunities because there were so many companies coming to recruit from Purdue. (they are first year students) Im sure it depends largely on what field you are looking to go into post MBA. My friends I spoke with are both going into Marketing, but I would assume if you were trying to get into one of the big consulting companies then Purdue's reputation "slipping" might be more worry some for you. At any rate I don't think that companies are looking at the Financial times rankings and saying "hmmm well purdue is not listed on here this year so we won't hire anybody from Purdue"

Admittedly going to the right school can open doors, but who you are and what value you can add as an employee is much more important in getting a job than what school you went to.


I completely agree with your reasoning.

However, we need opportunities in order to be noticed by employers.

International students do not have as much time and resources to do it on their own completely. They rely largely on the institutes ability to attract employers.

I hope what you say is right i.e employers would not "act" on these rankings, otherwise it will become a strict deterrent for International Students, who decide to apply in great part looking at these rankings

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 0

Krannert Ambassador
User avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2015
Posts: 131

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 39

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q39 V34
GPA: 3.14
Reviews Badge
Re: Purdue dropped in FT 2016 MBA rankings [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 10:47
jeethm wrote:
bbednar wrote:
Really? I have friends in the FT MBA program right now and both of them said that they had to turn down interview opportunities because there were so many companies coming to recruit from Purdue. (they are first year students) Im sure it depends largely on what field you are looking to go into post MBA. My friends I spoke with are both going into Marketing, but I would assume if you were trying to get into one of the big consulting companies then Purdue's reputation "slipping" might be more worry some for you. At any rate I don't think that companies are looking at the Financial times rankings and saying "hmmm well purdue is not listed on here this year so we won't hire anybody from Purdue"

Admittedly going to the right school can open doors, but who you are and what value you can add as an employee is much more important in getting a job than what school you went to.


I completely agree with your reasoning.

However, we need opportunities in order to be noticed by employers.

International students do not have as much time and resources to do it on their own completely. They rely largely on the institutes ability to attract employers.

I hope what you say is right i.e employers would not "act" on these rankings, otherwise it will become a strict deterrent for International Students, who decide to apply in great part looking at these rankings


Wise words. I guess it is important for any student to consider more than one set of rankings, as they all vary.

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 39

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 956

Kudos [?]: 1904 [1], given: 229

Location: India
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Purdue dropped in FT 2016 MBA rankings [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 15:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
Location of your MBA program is much important than ranking of that program. In my opinion MBA schools located in commercial cities such as New York, Chicago, San Jose etc can offer you better jobs and internship opportunities than MBA school in cities focused on non commercial activities. Companies from New York rarely come to Washington, D.C to recruit international student. Thus, do not stick only to ranking. Location is the most most important factor that can help get job later.
_________________

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1904 [1], given: 229

VP
VP
avatar
P
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1285

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 165

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Purdue dropped in FT 2016 MBA rankings [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2016, 09:06
jeethm wrote:
Guys,

Purdue does not feature in FT 2016 Top 100 MBA rankings !!

Should we be worried ?



Generally, Do not pay attention much to rankings. FT is global ranking in which you can certainly find business schools better than some American schools. Purdue is famous for operations and supply chain. However, pay attention to the school performance. Along the past four years, there were less student enrolled in the full time MBA for the following year. In the same time, the job opportunities for international students is not good. review the last employment report. Although the class is small, the percentage is too low 81% as total rate. I do not pay high attention to internships as those are bounded by summer time and most schools secure 100% internships for its students.

https://www.krannert.purdue.edu/masters ... a/home.asp

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 165

Re: Purdue dropped in FT 2016 MBA rankings   [#permalink] 02 Feb 2016, 09:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Purdue dropped in FT 2016 MBA rankings

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.