It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 06:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Puzzling GMAT Quant Performance - How to prepare for 2nd try?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
Puzzling GMAT Quant Performance - How to prepare for 2nd try? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2018, 09:14
Hi all,

In August last year I tried the GMAT for the first time and the Quant section results were quite unsatisfying....

The enhanced score report says:
Problem Solving: 48
Data Sufficiency: 36
Algebra: 48
Arithmetic: 39

The first reaction would be: ok, I gotta focus on Arithmetic! But let's compare the results with my practice GMAT exams (GMATprep)

Problem Solving: 46-47-47-47-47-44
Data Sufficiency: 48-47-48-48-49
Arithmetic: 47-47-48-47-49
Algebra: 46-45-43-48-42

I really don't get it, these results (all first time attempts) indicate that I need to focus on Algebra.

Also consider this:

Don't wanna overuse this phrase, but seriously WTF?

Bottom Line: What would be the most rewarding strategy to improve my Quant Score?
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Puzzling GMAT Quant Performance - How to prepare for 2nd try? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 21:07
Anyone? Any advice? What information do you need to help me with this problem? :|
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 21:32
Tommy87HG wrote:
Hi all,

In August last year I tried the GMAT for the first time and the Quant section results were quite unsatisfying....

The enhanced score report says:
Problem Solving: 48
Data Sufficiency: 36
Algebra: 48
Arithmetic: 39

The first reaction would be: ok, I gotta focus on Arithmetic! But let's compare the results with my practice GMAT exams (GMATprep)

Problem Solving: 46-47-47-47-47-44
Data Sufficiency: 48-47-48-48-49
Arithmetic: 47-47-48-47-49
Algebra: 46-45-43-48-42

I really don't get it, these results (all first time attempts) indicate that I need to focus on Algebra.

Also consider this:

Don't wanna overuse this phrase, but seriously WTF?

Bottom Line: What would be the most rewarding strategy to improve my Quant Score?

Hi, First of all comparing your real exam results with mock result wont be fair because none of the mock can give you accurate performance. I know a lot o people scoring 750 in mocks but unable to score even 700 in real exam. I want to know what sources you have used for Quant? The graph shows that you have done more mistakes in first 10 questions. So it means you might have answered easy Data Sufficiency questions wrong and that is why you scored less in Data Sufficiency. Answering easy questions wrong actually do more harm to your average score.

Regards

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 12:24
Hi Tommy87HG,

Since you took the Official GMAT almost 5 months ago, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying since then and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used over the last 5 months?
2) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs during this time (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
3) Did you take the FULL CAT each time (with the Essay and IR sections)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to retake the GMAT?
6) Have you completed your CFA Level 1 (and is your schedule a bit more 'open' to studying)?

Since you have the ESR for this Exam, I'd like to see the FULL Report. If you PM or email it to me, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B
Puzzling GMAT Quant Performance - How to prepare for 2nd try? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 13:26
As this answers actually the questions of both of you, I will reply to this one so I don't clutter up this thread too much...

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Tommy87HG,

Since you took the Official GMAT almost 5 months ago, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying since then and your goals:
After the GMAT I started preparing for the CFA, so I haven't done too much since then and started again a few days ago.

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used over the last 5 months? For the GMAT I studied with the OG and the Manhattan Books. In the last 2 weeks before the exam I focused on the GMAT Prep CATs and some higher level questions from this forum
2) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs during this time (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Q47 / V41 / 710
Q47 / V41 / 710
Q47 / V 37 / 690
Q47 / V42 / 730
Q47 / V42 / 720

3) Did you take the FULL CAT each time (with the Essay and IR sections)? Yes, I did, but in the same order as I did on the real exam: Quant-Verbal-IR-Essay (or Essay-IR, not sure)

Goals:
4) What is your goal score? Min. 730
5) When are you planning to retake the GMAT? c. 3-4 months from now
6) Have you completed your CFA Level 1 (and is your schedule a bit more 'open' to studying)? Yes I have, but I'm working as an M&A Analyst and I have to focus mainly on the weekends

Since you have the ESR for this Exam, I'd like to see the FULL Report. If you PM or email it to me, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you. Will do!

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Puzzling GMAT Quant Performance - How to prepare for 2nd try?   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2018, 13:26

Puzzling GMAT Quant Performance - How to prepare for 2nd try?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR FEBRUARY
Math Revolution - $69/mo Type Coupon Code: HOTDEAL2
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - $75 off all packages Valentine's special. Valid until Feb. 15
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap