It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 09:24

Happening Now:

Live Chat with Amy Mitson, Sr. Associate Director of Admissions at Tuck Dartmouth

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Q3: Scientists have made genetic modifications to cotton to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 0

Q3: Scientists have made genetic modifications to cotton to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2008, 08:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Q3:
Scientists have made genetic modifications to cotton to increase its resistance to insect
pests. According to farmers’ reports, the amount of insecticide needed per acre to control
insect pests was only slightly lower for those who tried the modified seed than for those
who did not. Therefore, since the modified seed costs more than ordinary seed without
producing yields of higher market value, switching to the modified seed would be
unlikely to benefit most cotton farmers economically.
Which of the following would it be most useful to know in order to evaluate the argument?
A. Whether farmers who tried the modified cotton seed had ever tried growing other crops from genetically modified seed
B. Whether the insecticides typically used on ordinary cotton tend to be more expensive than insecticides typically used on other crops
C. Whether for most farmers who grow cotton it is their primary crop
D. Whether the farmers who have tried the modified seed planted as many acres of cotton, on average, as farmers using the ordinary seed did
E. Whether most of the farmers who tried the modified seed did so because they had previously had to use exceptionally large quantities of insecticide

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Re: CR-need help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2008, 08:47
IMO 'E'

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2008, 09:08
P1: S created G modified P resistant cotton.
P2: F report new cotton use only slightly less pesticide than normal one.
P3: New seed cost more and do not produce yields of higher value than normal seed.
C: Switching to new seed is not economical.

A. Whether farmers who tried the modified cotton seed had ever tried growing other crops from genetically modified seed
Does not matter P2 and P3 says there is no significant advantages of new seeds.

B. Whether the insecticides typically used on ordinary cotton tend to be more expensive than insecticides typically used on other crops
No comparison warranted between cotton seeds and other seeds. So irrelevant.

Does not affect why new seed should or should not be used.

D. Whether the farmers who have tried the modified seed planted as many acres of cotton, on average, as farmers using the ordinary seed did
P2 already says it is case per acre so does not need this.

E. Whether most of the farmers who tried the modified seed did so because they had previously had to use exceptionally large quantities of insecticide
This make sense.

I have researched this question on few forums. There are 2 contradicting answers, some says B and some says E. However as per MGMAT instructor this is not a good question and one is better off with not reading this sort of question.

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2008, 10:40
abhijit_sen wrote:
P3: New seed cost more and do not produce yields of higher value than normal seed.

This make sense.

I have researched this question on few forums. There are 2 contradicting answers, some says B and some says E. However as per MGMAT instructor this is not a good question and one is better off with not reading this sort of question.

Yes exactly Even i was wondering why this went wrong,but this is a question from some gmat test.
Actually marked E,but answer given is B and i wonder how B is answer ,by comparing with other crops can wqe decide profitability of using modern seeds==> muddles me to hell

Is there any other suggestion on the same??

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2008, 02:27
spriya wrote:
abhijit_sen wrote:

This make sense.

Yes exactly Even i was wondering why this went wrong,but this is a question from some gmat test.
Actually marked E,but answer given is B and i wonder how B is answer ,by comparing with other crops can wqe decide profitability of using modern seeds==> muddles me to hell

You sure the OA given is B? Mine gives D for OA. Where did you get the OA and the question? THx.

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2008, 04:13
Richardson wrote:
spriya wrote:
abhijit_sen wrote:

This make sense.

You sure the OA given is B? Mine gives D for OA. Where did you get the OA and the question? THx.

This is a question from some GMAT tests so i got the answers for the same.

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2008, 16:25
D for me

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2008, 19:28
Richardson wrote:
spriya wrote:
abhijit_sen wrote:

This make sense.

D cannot be the OA since as many acres is brought into picture when the argument says cost per acre hence independent of acre .!!!
OA is B since the comparitive prices of cottoin and others decide whether to switch or not !!!

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2008, 19:45
IMO E. Even if OA is B, I do not agree with it..

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 0

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2008, 10:36
:stupid

It was been B and D for me. But no point in arguing if we don't have an accurate source for an OA.

Kudos [?]: 285 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2008, 11:45

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 6

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2008, 15:02
I dont think this is a bad question and B makes perfect sense to me.
I would discuss only B and E here cause I believe that other options are totally out of scope.

question stem suggest two things pretty clearly

first is the amount of insecticide needed per acre to control
insect pests was only slightly lower for those who tried the modified seed than for those
who did not

means the amount of insecticide use is almost same...so the amount of insecticide farmers used is pretty irrelevent.....this makes E out

second is since the modified seed costs more than ordinary seed without
producing yields of higher market value, switching to the modified seed would be
unlikely to benefit most cotton farmers economically

means the conclusion is based on cost effectiveness and we have to check the cost effectiveness to evaluate the conclusion.

B suggests that
Whether the insecticides typically used on ordinary cotton tend to be more expensive than insecticides typically used on other crops

B totally take 'cost' aspect into consideration...only problem is the use of 'other crops' buti dont think that in given situation that is the most aspect of the question and anyway they almost negate that by the use of 'ordinary cotton'

B for me

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2008, 16:23
Definitely D.
If the farmers growing modified seed are planting more acres, then their cost of insecticides will go up much more and switching back to ordinary seeds will be beneficial.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2008, 11:55
B for me!

Situation: Modified seed provides better resistant against the insects but yield is same as seed without modification. However, the seed without modification requires slightly higher pest insecticide than modified seed.

A. Whether farmers who tried the modified cotton seed had ever tried growing other crops from genetically modified seed [ other crops – out of scope]

B. Whether the insecticides typically used on ordinary cotton tend to be more expensive than insecticides typically used on other crops [Since argument conclusion involves cost basis analysis – hold it]

C. Whether for most farmers who grow cotton it is their primary crop [ out of scope]

D. Whether the farmers who have tried the modified seed planted as many acres of cotton, on average, as farmers using the ordinary seed did [ Good one but we are concerned about cost basis PLUS this requires additional assumption that more growing more pest required. – eliminate it]
E. Whether most of the farmers who tried the modified seed did so because they had previously had to use exceptionally large quantities of insecticide [Purpose of Farmers – out of scope]

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2008, 00:23
hanumayamma wrote:
B for me!

Situation: Modified seed provides better resistant against the insects but yield is same as seed without modification. However, the seed without modification requires slightly higher pest insecticide than modified seed.

A. Whether farmers who tried the modified cotton seed had ever tried growing other crops from genetically modified seed [ other crops – out of scope]

B. Whether the insecticides typically used on ordinary cotton tend to be more expensive than insecticides typically used on other crops [Since argument conclusion involves cost basis analysis – hold it]

C. Whether for most farmers who grow cotton it is their primary crop [ out of scope]

D. Whether the farmers who have tried the modified seed planted as many acres of cotton, on average, as farmers using the ordinary seed did [ Good one but we are concerned about cost basis PLUS this requires additional assumption that more growing more pest required. – eliminate it]
E. Whether most of the farmers who tried the modified seed did so because they had previously had to use exceptionally large quantities of insecticide [Purpose of Farmers – out of scope]

B will actually add on to the cost of modified seeds usage further since the insecticides used on them are expensive compared to ordinary !!!! hence useful in evaluation!!!

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2008, 16:17
Cannot be B. How does it matter if the insecticide cost for other crops is more or less, compared to the cotton? What matters is the acreage of cotton. It is said that per acre, the cost of insecticide is only slightly less for modified cotton- so the money saved is not worth making the change because the cost of the modified seed is higher and the market value is no more than that of ordinary cotton. However, if a much larger amount of modified cotton is grown then, the saving on the insecticides will add up and will be lot more.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2008, 11:15
spriya wrote:
Q3:
Scientists have made genetic modifications to cotton to increase its resistance to insect
pests. According to farmers’ reports, the amount of insecticide needed per acre to control
who did not. Therefore, since the modified seed costs more than ordinary seed without
unlikely to benefit most cotton farmers economically.
Which of the following would it be most useful to know in order to evaluate the argument?

It has to be E. coz if the cost of insecticides was the only factor involved in swith over then conclusion holds true that there is no incentive. But what if the farmers switched over in lieu of some factors other than the cost? If we could ensure that no other factor is involved then, for sure the argument holds true. But if we zero in on some other factor then the whole argument collapses.

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-need help   [#permalink] 23 Sep 2008, 11:15