It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 20:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: In her later poems, Phyllis Wheatley's

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18006 [2], given: 1988

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: In her later poems, Phyllis Wheatley's [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 15:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:12) correct 33% (01:31) wrong based on 361 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 111: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

In her later poems, Phyllis Wheatley's blending of solar imagery, Judeo-Christian thought and figures, and the images she borrowed from ancient classicism suggesting her range and depth of influences, not the least of which is her African heritage.

(A) the images she borrowed from ancient classicism suggesting
(B) borrowing images from ancient classicism, suggests
(C) she borrowed images from ancient classicism, which suggests
(D) images borrowed from ancient classicism suggests
(E) images that she borrowed from ancient classicism, suggesting

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18006 [2], given: 1988

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2024 [0], given: 462

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 15:05
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
One key to this question is figuring out what, exactly, needs to be parallel. The underlined portion starts immediately after the parallelism trigger "and" -- so we'll focus most our energy there. (For more on parallelism -- including some examples that are much tougher than this one -- check out our YouTube webinar on parallelism and meaning.)

Quote:

The parallelism in (A) gives us a list of three things: "...Wheatley's blending of solar imagery, Judeo-Christian thought and figures, and the images she borrowed..." That's reasonable enough: she blended those three things together. So I think the parallelism is OK.

Trouble is, we don't really have a legitimate sentence in (A). To have a full sentence, you need an independent clause -- basically, a subject and a verb. The subject is "blending", but there's no verb "performed" by the subject. "Suggesting" isn't a verb here, since it isn't preceded by a form of "to be." (More on "-ing" words here.) So (A) is gone.

Quote:

In (B), "and" is followed by "borrowing", so we need to find something that's parallel to "borrowing." It has to be "blending", right? Superficially, that's not bad: "...Wheatley's blending of solar imagery... and borrowing images from ancient classicism..."

But then what the heck is the phrase "Judeo-Christian thought and figures" doing here? I can't make any sense of it at all. It isn't part of a list in (B), and it doesn't logically modify "solar imagery." So on that basis alone, (B) is out.

Quote:

This one has all sorts of problems. For starters, there's a straightforward, classic modifier error. The phrase "which suggests her range and depth of influences" seems to modify "ancient classicism", and that makes no sense at all. You could argue that the phrase beginning with "which" modifies "images from ancient classicism", but then there's a subject-verb issue. If you're in a hurry, that's enough to wipe out (C).

But there's also a broader structural problem with the sentence. "Phyllis Wheatley's blending of solar imagery, Judeo-Christian thought and figures, and she borrowed images from ancient classicism..." Huh? The subject of the sentence is "Wheatley's blending" again, but it never actually performs a verb.

Quote:
(D) images borrowed from ancient classicism suggests

(D) seems to fix all of our problems. The parallelism works, much as it does in (A): "...Wheatley's blending of solar imagery, Judeo-Christian thought and figures, and images borrowed from ancient classicism..." That's a perfectly legit list of three different things (nouns) that she blended together. And the subject-verb agreement makes sense, too: "... Wheatley's blending [of three things] suggests her depth and range of influences..." So the subject actually has a verb that makes sense in (D). Let's keep it.

Quote:

I'd be a little bit happier with (E) if it said "images borrowed from ancient classicism" instead of "images that she borrowed from ancient classicism." It just seems like a waste of words, but that's not necessarily wrong. The parallelism is basically OK: the list still consists of three parallel nouns.

The trouble is, the main subject ("Wheatley's blending") doesn't actually "perform" a verb, since "suggesting" isn't a verb here. It's the same problem as in (A). So (E) can be eliminated, and (D) is the best answer.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2024 [0], given: 462

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 12

Concentration: Finance, General Management
Re: QOTD: In her later poems, Phyllis Wheatley's [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 19:19
In her later poems, Phyllis Wheatley's blending of solar imagery, Judeo-Christian thought and figures, and the images she borrowed from ancient classicism suggesting her range and depth of influences, not the least of which is her African heritage.
(A) the images she borrowed from ancient classicism suggesting Lack of verb leads to a Fragmented sentence. Hence Incorrect.
- Blending of X, Y, & Z. X & Y are NOUN, so Z should be noun as well. Parallelism is not maintained among three items. Hence Incorrect
- Blending of X, Y, & Z. X & Y are NOUN, so Z should be noun as well. Parallelism is not maintained among three items. Lack of verb leads to a Fragmented sentence. Incorrect use of WHICH. Hence Incorrect
(D) images borrowed from ancient classicism suggests - CORRECT
(E) images that she borrowed from ancient classicism, suggesting Lack of verb leads to a Fragmented sentence. Hence Incorrect.

If you like the post, show appreciation by pressing Kudos button

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 12

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 160 [1], given: 138

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2017, 22:06
This post received
KUDOS
GMATNinja I have 1 doubt in this question. Three things are suggesting something about a person's something, then how can we use a singular "suggests"; shouldn't "suggests" be replaced with "suggest" in all the options?

"social imagery", "thought and figures" and "images" should be parallel

(A) the images she borrowed from ancient classicism suggesting -the usage of "suggesting" makes this sentence a fragment.
(B) borrowing images from ancient classicism, suggests -"borrowing" is not parallel
(C) she borrowed images from ancient classicism, which suggests -"she" makes the structure unparallel
(D) images borrowed from ancient classicism suggests -Correct maintains parallelism.
(E) images that she borrowed from ancient classicism, suggesting -the usage of "suggesting" makes this sentence a fragment.

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
2. LSAT RC compilation
3. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
4. QOTD RC (Carcass)
5. Challange OG RC

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 71

WE: Information Technology (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 02:02
hi, can someone please explain why we have 'figures , and the images she borrowed...' in the original sentence
how is it different in meaning from a sentence that says 'figures and the images she borrowed..'

it would really help if someone could answer this one.
I am not sure i have come across , and so easily in newspapers etc. Maybe I have not been reading carefully enough, Hence I am not aware of this essential rule.
can some one be kind enough to throw some light on this. :roll: :-D

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 71

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9414 [3], given: 347

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 03:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmatexam439 wrote:
GMATNinja I have 1 doubt in this question. Three things are suggesting something about a person's something, then how can we use a singular "suggests"; shouldn't "suggests" be replaced with "suggest" in all the options?

(A) the images she borrowed from ancient classicism suggesting -the usage of "suggesting" makes this sentence a fragment.
(B) borrowing images from ancient classicism, suggests -"borrowing" is not parallel
(C) she borrowed images from ancient classicism, which suggests -"she" makes the structure unparallel
(D) images borrowed from ancient classicism suggests -Correct maintains parallelism.
(E) images that she borrowed from ancient classicism, suggesting -the usage of "suggesting" makes this sentence a fragment.

Hello gmatexam439,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

Let's take a look at the structure of correct sentence:

In her later poems, Phyllis Wheatley's blending of

solar imagery,
    Judeo-Christian thought and figures, and
    images borrowed from ancient classicism

suggests
her range and depth of influences, not the least of which is her African heritage.

Please note that the subject of the sentence is singular noun blending and hence takes singular verb suggests. The said imagery, the figures, and the images do not act as the subject.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9414 [3], given: 347

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9414 [2], given: 347

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 03:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
doeadoer wrote:
hi, can someone please explain why we have 'figures , and the images she borrowed...' in the original sentence
how is it different in meaning from a sentence that says 'figures and the images she borrowed..'

I am not sure i have come across , and so easily in newspapers etc. Maybe I have not been reading carefully enough, Hence I am not aware of this essential rule.

Hello doeadoer,

Take a look at my post just above this one to see the structure of the sentence.

Per the sentence, three elements make the parallel list:
    i. solar imagery,
    ii. Judeo-Christian thought and figures, and
    iii. the images she borrowed from ancient classicism

Whenever a parallel list consists of more than two elements, the connector joining all the parallel elements in the list is preceded by a comma. Hence, we see the usage of comma + and in this sentence.

In fact, this is a very common usage across GMAT SC parallelism questions. You can review any SC problem on parallelism containing more than two parallel elements in a list. They all have a comma preceding the connector.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9414 [2], given: 347

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: -21 [0], given: 56

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 07:39

the structure of sentences says Phyllis Wheatley's blending of solar imagery, Judeo-Christian thought and figures, and the images : list of three nouns things : imagery ,thought and figure, and images . so the the subject blending must have a verb

(B) borrowing images from ancient classicism, suggests : it must be a noun as things in the list are noun
(C) she borrowed images from ancient classicism, which suggests: no verb
(D) images borrowed from ancient classicism suggests correct
no verb

Kudos [?]: -21 [0], given: 56

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 08:47
This post received
KUDOS
egmat wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:

Hello gmatexam439,

Let's take a look at the structure of correct sentence:

In her later poems, Phyllis Wheatley's blending of

solar imagery,
    Judeo-Christian thought and figures, and
    images borrowed from ancient classicism

suggests
her range and depth of influences, not the least of which is her African heritage.

Please note that the subject of the sentence is singular noun blending and hence takes singular verb suggests. The said imagery, the figures, and the images do not act as the subject.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hello Shraddha,

Thanks for the quick reply. That did definitely help me.

Until now I was interpreting the sentence in a wrong way. Though I got the answer, I am more comfortable with the sentence now than was before.

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
2. LSAT RC compilation
3. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
4. QOTD RC (Carcass)
5. Challange OG RC

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 71

WE: Information Technology (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 13:17
This post received
KUDOS
egmat wrote:
doeadoer wrote:

Hello doeadoer,

Take a look at my post just above this one to see the structure of the sentence.

Per the sentence, three elements make the parallel list:
    i. solar imagery,
    ii. Judeo-Christian thought and figures, and
    iii. the images she borrowed from ancient classicism

Whenever a parallel list consists of more than two elements, the connector joining all the parallel elements in the list is preceded by a comma. Hence, we see the usage of comma + and in this sentence.

In fact, this is a very common usage across GMAT SC parallelism questions. You can review any SC problem on parallelism containing more than two parallel elements in a list. They all have a comma preceding the connector.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Woops. I missed out on that one.
Thanks for helping out.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 71

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 71

GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 03:03

(D) images borrowed from ancient classicism suggests {borrowed from.... - modifying images}

D

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 71

Re: QOTD: In her later poems, Phyllis Wheatley's   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2017, 03:03

QOTD: In her later poems, Phyllis Wheatley's

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap