Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Parallelismx   Verb Tense/Formx                                 
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4317 [1401]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [292]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [73]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [13]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldw [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hello friends,

Here is the detailed solution to this complex SC problem.

Quote:
In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in 1910-1911.

A. did its return in 1910-1911

B. had its 1910-1911 return

C. in its return of 1910-1911

D. its return of 1910-1911 did

E. its return in 1910-1911

  
  

  
Sentence Structure  

  
Meaning  

The sentence presents some information about Halley’s Comet. Per the sentence, this comet did not create such a worldwide excitement in any other historical sighting. The latter part of the sentence starts with the comparison word “as.” The sentence presents a comparison between Halley’s Comet and its return. This comparison is illogical.

From the context of the sentence, we can infer that the sentence intends to present the comparison between all the other sightings of Halley’s Comet and its sighting in 1910-1911. The basis of the comparison is that Halley’s Comet did not create as much excitement worldwide as it did when it came back in 1910-1911.  

  

  
Comparison Error leading to Meaning Error: As we can see from the Meaning Analysis, this sentence compares Halley’s Comet with its return. This comparison is not logical. The intended comparison is between the sensation caused by Halley’s Comet in any other sighting and the sensation caused by it in 1910-1911.  

  
    

A. did its return in 1910-1911  
Incorrect: This choice is incorrect, as explained in the Error Analysis section.

  
B. had its 1910-1911 return  
Incorrect:
1. Comparison Error leading to Meaning Error: This choice repeats the illogical comparison error we found in Choice A.

2. Verb Error: The use of the helping verb “had” in the second part of the comparison as a replacement for the verb “did cause,” used in the first part of the comparison, is incorrect. The sentence must use the helping verb “did” to replace “did cause.”

  
C. in its return of 1910-1911  
Correct: This option correctly presents the intended comparison. The compared entities in this choice are: “sensation caused in no other historical sighting” and “sensation caused in its return of 1910-1911”. Note that the usage of the prepositional phrase “in its return…” after “as” is correct because the SV pair “it did” is understood.

D. its return of 1910-1911 did  
Incorrect: Comparison Error leading to Meaning Error: This choice repeats the illogical comparison error we found in Choice A.

E. its return in 1910-1911  
Incorrect: Expression Error: This sentence uses “as” to present comparison and hence, must be followed by a clause. But the omission of the verb for the subject “its return” leads to an error.

  

1. The entities compared must be logical.
2. The verbs used in both parts of the comparison must be written in the correct tense to present the intended comparison correctly.

  
Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks. 
Shraddha 

Originally posted by egmat on 28 Oct 2021, 08:55.
Last edited by egmat on 08 Nov 2021, 14:19, edited 2 times in total.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldw [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
mymba99 wrote:
In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in 1910-1911.

(A) did its return in 1910-1911

(B) had its 1910-1911 return

(C) in its return of 1910-1911

(D) its return of 1910-1911 did

(E) its return in 1910-1911

Concepts tested here: Comparison + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• Comparison must always be made between similar things.

A: Trap. This answer choice incorrectly compares the prepositional phrase "In no other historical sighting" to the verb phrase "did its return in 1910-1911"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar things. Further, Option A use the passive voice construction "did its return in 1910-1911", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: This answer choice incorrectly compares the prepositional phrase "In no other historical sighting" to the verb phrase "had its return in 1910-1911"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar things.

C: Correct. This answer choice correctly compares the prepositional phrase "In no other historical sighting" with the prepositional phrase "in its return of 1910-1911". Further, Option C is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

D: Trap. This answer choice incorrectly compares the prepositional phrase "In no other historical sighting" to the verb phrase "its return in 1910-1911 did"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar things.

E: Trap. This answer choice incorrectly compares the prepositional phrase "In no other historical sighting" to the noun phrase "its return in 1910-1911"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar things.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1698 [11]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: In no other historical sighting did Halley's comet cause such a worldw [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Dear All,

In the 12th ed, the OA is indeed (C).

Options (A) and (D) are wrong as the comparison is between the comet and its return. Choice (C) grammatically compares parallel prepositional phrases beginning with the preposition in: in no other sighting and in its return in 1910-1911.

Regards,

skim
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SPG
Own Kudos [?]: 3137 [88]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
this is an elliptical construction .. constructions in which certain words are omitted .. the omitted words are implied within the clause itself

In no other historical sighting did Halley's Comet cause such a worldwide sensation AS [it did] in its return of 1910-1911

AS introduces comparison .... 'in no other historical sighting' can be logically compared to 'in its return'

C is correct

Hallye's Comet is the subject

Halley's Comet did not cause such a worldwide sensation in any other historical sighting as [it did] in its return in 1910-1911

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [26]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Let me know if the following helps:

The issues in this particular problem is not so much ellipsis (a common issue in comparisons), as the logic of the comparisons.

The following comparisons both mean the same thing, but compare different parts of the sentence:

1. Sue studies more at night than she does during the day. (The sentence compares Sue to herself.)

2. Sue studies more at night than during the day. (The sentence compares the times, 'at night' and 'during the day.')

Ellipses, i.e., leaving out a word or phrase because that exact word or phrase appears elsewhere in the sentence, can be identified any time a phrase is left incomplete:

Ex. Joe's is an especially well constructed house. ('house'-omitted)
Ex. Joe's shoes are nicer than Bob's. ('shoes'- omitted)
Ex. Joe is taller than Bob. ('is'- omitted)
Ex. Joe's house is better constructed than Bob's. ('is constructed'-omitted)

A problem arises when the word that would complete the phrase never shows up or does not make sense!
Ex. I have and always will love steak. ('loved'-missing!)
Ex. Joe hated steak as I child more than I do now ('hate'-missing!)
Ex. Joe eats burgers faster than the the rate of the burger-eating-champion. ('eats' is the verb that would complete the 2nd clause, but it wouldn't make sense. This is how you know the comparison is illogical.)

(For more on the logic of comparisons, check out the comparisons lesson at gmaxonline.)
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [74]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Concept tested: Parallelism, Verb tenses, ellipses
Difficulty:750
Illustration: Lets take a look at elliptical construction before going for the solution.
Consider the following sentence:
In no other play did William Shakespeare cause such a spectacle as Hamlet.
This is ambiguous. there are two possible interpretations:
(1) ...as IN Hamlet (this is analogous to the intended meaning of the posted problem)
(2) ...as DID Hamlet (i.e., you're comparing the spectacle caused by Shakespeare to the spectacle caused by Hamlet himself).
So we need the “in” to clarify the intended meaning.
Now lets look at the options.
Only C coincides with the concept that is tested above.
C is the correct answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 569 [3]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE:Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
In no other historical sighting did Halley’s comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in 1910-1911.

I am aware of the fact that this question has been discussed in various places but i have few doubts on this.
1.Here since as is being used some comparison is being made right?So can someone explain what comparison is made in this questions?
2.In various forums its mentioned as becoz of parallelism also the option C is chosen as right answer.Can someone help me in undertstanding these two doubts i have on this question..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5416 [43]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
skamal7 wrote:
In no other historical sighting did Halley’s comet cause such a worldwide sensation as did its return in 1910-1911.

I am aware of the fact that this question has been discussed in various places but i have few doubts on this.
1.Here since as is being used some comparison is being made right?So can someone explain what comparison is made in this questions?
2.In various forums its mentioned as becoz of parallelism also the option C is chosen as right answer.Can someone help me in undertstanding these two doubts i have on this question..

Hi Skamal,

Yes you are right "as" is indicating a comparison. The comparison is between the events "In no other historical sighting" and "In its return in 1910 - 1911"

In the question the parallel structures will be the two prepositional phrases. I would say that the question is more a comparison question than a parallelism one.

Apart from (C) other options are comparing "its return" with " In no other historical sighting"

As the question has been discussed several times I'll try a different approach. Let us form a simple question on similar grounds.

In no other public occasion I felt estranged as did my own wedding with Julia.

(A) did my own wedding with Julia
(B) had my wedding with Julia
(C) in my own wedding with Julia
(D) my own wedding with Julia did
(E) my own wedding with Julia

The above question contains a similar comparison and the answers have the same errors. What it does not contain is the middle part that the original sentence has which makes the two comparison elements far from each other. (C) clearly stands out as a winner.

In the above question the parallelism (if any) is between the two prepositional phrases - "In no other public occasion" and "in my own wedding with Julia". To sum up it is just a simple comparison question.

Hope that helps,

Vercules
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [4]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos