It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 19:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: The single-family house constructed by the Yana

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18107 [2], given: 1992

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: The single-family house constructed by the Yana [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (00:57) correct 45% (00:55) wrong based on 973 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 15: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

The single-family house constructed by the Yana, a Native American people who lived in what is now northern California, was conical in shape, its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark, either cedar or pine, and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet.

A. banked with dirt to a height of
B. banked with dirt as high as that of
C. banked them with dirt to a height of
D. was banked with dirt as high as
E. was banked with dirt as high as that of

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18107 [2], given: 1992

Expert Post
12 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2048 [12], given: 465

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: QOTD: The single-family house constructed by the Yana [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 12:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This one is pretty tricky, in my opinion. We’re mostly dealing with parallelism here, but it's not as straightforward as I’d like.

Quote:

The underlined portion follows the word “and”, so we definitely need to think about parallelism. Here, the word that follows “and” is “banked.” In this case, "banked" is an adjective.

So what is “banked” parallel to? Well, “overlaid” is our nearest adjective, and that makes some sense: “its framework overlaid with poles… and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet.” Not bad! That makes sense: the framework was banked with dirt. Keep (A).

Quote:

The only difference between (A) and (B) is the pronoun phrase, “that of.” “That” is a singular pronoun here, so it needs a singular antecedent. And we don’t have good candidates: “dirt” is the nearest singular noun, but that doesn’t make sense: “banked with dirt as high as the dirt of three to four feet.” Nope.

You can try the same thing with other singular nouns in the sentence (pine, cedar, bark, framework, house, etc.), but once you try to insert them into the sentence in place of “that”, you'll see that none of them make any logical sense. So (B) is gone.

Quote:

This is a little bit more subtle, but once “them” is added to the sentence, things get weird. The issue isn't necessarily that "them" is ambiguous (sure, there are a few different plural nouns that "them" could refer back to, but the nearest one, "slabs", is arguably OK). The real problem is that the parallelism doesn't really work. If "banked" is parallel to "overlaid", it doesn't make sense anymore: "its framework of poles... banked them with dirt"?!

OK, so what if "banked" is actually a verb, and it's parallel to "was"? That wouldn't make sense, either: "The single-family house constructed by the Yana... banked them with dirt." (C) is gone.

Quote:

The verb phrase "was banked" follows "and", so it has to be parallel to some other verb phrase. "Was conical in shape" seems to be our best option, but that wouldn't make much sense, since it would imply that "The single-family house constructed by the Yana... was banked with dirt." And that's not quite right: the framework of poles was banked with dirt -- not the entire house. That's why it makes more sense to leave "banked" parallel to "overlaid", as in option (A). Eliminate (D).

Quote:

(E) has the same pronoun error as (B), and the same parallelism/logic error as (D). So we’re left with (A).

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2048 [12], given: 465

Senior CR Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1113 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 20:24
souvik101990 wrote:

The single-family house constructed by the Yana, a Native American people who lived in what is now northern California, was conical in shape, its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark, either cedar or pine, and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet.

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

"banked" needs to parallel to "overlaid", so D and E are out.

In C, "them" is incorrect since "its framework of poles" is singular.

Between A&B, I prefer A because choice B makes comparision between "dirt" and "its framework of poles"

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 1113 [0], given: 62

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 70 [2], given: 65

Concentration: Finance

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 22:36
This post received
KUDOS

A. banked with dirt to a height of (Correct)
B. banked with dirt as high as that of (Dirt is not as high as that of three to four feet. Rather, it is framework of poles)
C. banked them with dirt to a height of (Usage of them is incorrect because framework is singular)
D. was banked with dirt as high as (Need to be parallel with overlaid)
E. was banked with dirt as high as that of (Same as D)

Kudos please if you like my explanation!

Kindly hit kudos if my post helps!

Kudos [?]: 70 [2], given: 65

Chat Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 140

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 22:59
My option : A

Looking at the construction:

The single-family house constructed by the Yana was conical in shape.

The phrase after comma is used to provide more information.

So here, we have overlaid || banked. So choices D and E are eliminated. I believe both of them are operating as verb -ed modifiers.

its framework of poles
overlaid with slabs of bark
either cedar or pine
and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet

its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark and its framework of poles banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet.

overlaid with || banked with

as high as that of three to four feet - no comparison needed. It is used to state a fact

So B and C can be eliminated

Hence, Option A.

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 140

Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 138

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2017, 09:01
souvik101990 wrote:

For All QOTD Questions Click Here

GMATNinja : Why can't a house be banked? I thought that the house had been banked; therefore I ended up selecting "D".
The statement never explicitly states that the house CAN'T be banked.
In my opinion I don't feel that banking of house is awkward either. So why is "D" incorrect.

Please help me with this.
Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
2. LSAT RC compilation
3. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
4. QOTD RC (Carcass)
5. Challange OG RC

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9442 [2], given: 348

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 09:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmatexam439 wrote:

GMATNinja : Why can't a house be banked? I thought that the house had been banked; therefore I ended up selecting "D".
In my opinion I don't feel that banking of house is awkward either. So why is "D" incorrect.

Regards

Hello gmatexam439,

I would be glad to help you resolve the doubt. :-)

A thing that we must bear in mind is that the function of the original sentence is not only to provide one of the five answer choices. The original sentence presents the context. In absence of any other information, we must rely on the context set by the original sentence to understand the intended meaning. This intended meaning must be logical and conveyed in a correct grammatical structure.

Now, nine out ten times, the original sentence presents logical intended meaning. The grammar may be correct or incorrect. Hence, every time we get a logical meaning from the original sentence, we must retain that logic in the correct answer choice too.

On this basis, let's now evaluate the sentence at hand:

Per the original sentence, the framework of poles was overlaid with slabs of bark and was banked with dirt to a certain height. This meaning is absolutely logical. There is no basis we can doubt this meaning. Hence, we will go by this meaning.

Choice D definitely is logical but does not convey the same meaning as does the original sentence. This change in the intended meaning does lead to distortion in meaning. Hence, despite logically correct, this choice is incorrect.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9442 [2], given: 348

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 571

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 09:57
Imo A
There is no mistake with option A and it the most succient of all the answer choices

Sent from my ONE E1003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 571

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 12

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 10:46
Isn't this a run off sentence?
Clause1: The single-family house constructed by the Yana, a Native American people who lived in what is now northern California, was conical in shape

Clause2: its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark........

Please suggest

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 12

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 14:16
egmat wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:

Regards

Hello gmatexam439,

I would be glad to help you resolve the doubt. :-)

A thing that we must bear in mind is that the function of the original sentence is not only to provide one of the five answer choices. The original sentence presents the context. In absence of any other information, we must rely on the context set by the original sentence to understand the intended meaning. This intended meaning must be logical and conveyed in a correct grammatical structure.

Now, nine out ten times, the original sentence presents logical intended meaning. The grammar may be correct or incorrect. Hence, every time we get a logical meaning from the original sentence, we must retain that logic in the correct answer choice too.

On this basis, let's now evaluate the sentence at hand:

Per the original sentence, the framework of poles was overlaid with slabs of bark and was banked with dirt to a certain height. This meaning is absolutely logical. There is no basis we can doubt this meaning. Hence, we will go by this meaning.

Choice D definitely is logical but does not convey the same meaning as does the original sentence. This change in the intended meaning does lead to distortion in meaning. Hence, despite logically correct, this choice is incorrect.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

I understood your explanation clearly mam ... thank u for the prompt reply ... !!
Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
2. LSAT RC compilation
3. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
4. QOTD RC (Carcass)
5. Challange OG RC

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9442 [0], given: 348

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2017, 20:07
ankursethi297 wrote:
Clause1: The single-family house constructed by the Yana, a Native American people who lived in what is now northern California, was conical in shape

Please suggest

Hello ankursethi297,

Let me help you resolve your confusion about this official sentence. :-)

If two independent clauses are connected by just a comma, then the structure is called a run-off sentence.

However, this official sentence is not a run-off sentence because there is only one independent clause in this sentence the SV pair of which is The single family house... was.

Please note that the words overlaid and banked are verb-ed modifiers that modifies the preceding noun entity its framework of poles.

Generally, test takers mistake all the verb-ed words as modifiers. But that is not the case. To learn how to distinguish between the verb-ed modifier and the simple past tense that also ends in "ed", please review the article named ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers in the following link:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ed-forms-verbs-or-modifiers-134691.html

Now let's talk about the structure its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark, either cedar or pine, and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet. This tructure can very well be connected to a preceding clause by a comma because it is what we call at e-GMAT is a Noun + Noun Modifier in which its framework of poles = Noun and overlaid with slabs of bark, either cedar or pine, and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet = Noun Modifiers.

We have a super detailed article named Noun + Noun Modifiers: The most "versatile" modifier that explains in excruciating details how these modifiers work with numerous official examples. You can review this article in the following link:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/noun-noun-modifiers-the-most-versatile-modifier-137292.html

So, this official sentence contains an independent clause that is connected to a modifier by a comma.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9442 [0], given: 348

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [1], given: 238

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 20:19
This post received
KUDOS

The crux is that we DO NOT need a comparison like as...as, we only need to clearly express that dirt is three to four feet, which is concisely conveyed in phrase dirt to a height of in A.

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 29 [1], given: 238

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 74

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 03:28
GMATNinja wrote:
This one is pretty tricky, in my opinion. We’re mostly dealing with parallelism here, but it's not as straightforward as I’d like.

Quote:

The underlined portion follows the word “and”, so we definitely need to think about parallelism. Here, the word that follows “and” is “banked.” In this case, "banked" is an adjective.

So what is “banked” parallel to? Well, “overlaid” is our nearest adjective, and that makes some sense: “its framework overlaid with poles… and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet.” Not bad! That makes sense: the framework was banked with dirt. Keep (A).

Quote:

The only difference between (A) and (B) is the pronoun phrase, “that of.” “That” is a singular pronoun here, so it needs a singular antecedent. And we don’t have good candidates: “dirt” is the nearest singular noun, but that doesn’t make sense: “banked with dirt as high as the dirt of three to four feet.” Nope.

You can try the same thing with other singular nouns in the sentence (pine, cedar, bark, framework, house, etc.), but once you try to insert them into the sentence in place of “that”, you'll see that none of them make any logical sense. So (B) is gone.

Quote:

This is a little bit more subtle, but once “them” is added to the sentence, things get weird. The issue isn't necessarily that "them" is ambiguous (sure, there are a few different plural nouns that "them" could refer back to, but the nearest one, "slabs", is arguably OK). The real problem is that the parallelism doesn't really work. If "banked" is parallel to "overlaid", it doesn't make sense anymore: "its framework of poles... banked them with dirt"?!

OK, so what if "banked" is actually a verb, and it's parallel to "was"? That wouldn't make sense, either: "The single-family house constructed by the Yana... banked them with dirt." (C) is gone.

Quote:

The verb phrase "was banked" follows "and", so it has to be parallel to some other verb phrase. "Was conical in shape" seems to be our best option, but that wouldn't make much sense, since it would imply that "The single-family house constructed by the Yana... was banked with dirt." And that's not quite right: the framework of poles was banked with dirt -- not the entire house. That's why it makes more sense to leave "banked" parallel to "overlaid", as in option (A). Eliminate (D).

Quote:

(E) has the same pronoun error as (B), and the same parallelism/logic error as (D). So we’re left with (A).

Hi GMATNinja

I have a basic problem with this question. if we split the sentence and delete non-essential modifier we have
1)The single-family house constructed by the Yana was conical in shape,
2)its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark, either cedar or pine, and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet.

two Ic cannot join each other with a comma
am I wrong?

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 74

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 1446

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 15:14
how not to mistake "banked" for "was banked for"? I mean, how to know which parallels with which?

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 1446

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 2048 [1], given: 465

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2017, 10:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
soodia wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

I have a basic problem with this question. if we split the sentence and delete non-essential modifier we have
1)The single-family house constructed by the Yana was conical in shape,
2)its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark, either cedar or pine, and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet.

two Ic cannot join each other with a comma
am I wrong?

Ah, I think I see where the confusion is coming from. The 2nd phrase ("its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark... and banked with dirt...") isn't an independent clause at all. "Overlaid" and "banked" are both modifiers here -- NOT verbs. So the entire phrase (beginning with "its framework") is actually just an absolute phrase, which is basically a type of noun (accompanied by tons of modifiers in this particular case) that's used to modify the preceding sentence.

In other words, the phrase that you have listed as #2 above is just giving us more information about phrase #1, and phrase #2 definitely is not an independent clause. Tricky!

chesstitans wrote:
how not to mistake "banked" for "was banked for"? I mean, how to know which parallels with which?

The best way to think about parallelism in this question is to react to each individual answer choice, and figure out how the parallelism works in each. Notice how I wrote the full explanation above: for each answer choice, I figured out what followed the parallelism trigger "and", and went from there. The parallelism turns out to be illogical in certain answer choices, but not in others.

Explanation is available here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/qotd-the-sin ... l#p1854761. Let me know if that doesn't clear it up.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Kudos [?]: 2048 [1], given: 465

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2017, 13:56
A. banked with dirt to a height of - CORRECT: correctly puts “overlaid with” in parallel with “banked with”
B. banked with dirt as high as that of - parallel is correct but “as high as that of” is not appropriate here - there doesn’t need to be a comparison so “as… as…” is not needed
C. banked them with dirt to a height of - “them” is an unnecessary pronoun
D. was banked with dirt as high as - “was” is not necessary and “as… as…” is not needed
E. was banked with dirt as high as that of - “was” is not necessary and “that of” is not needed

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 13

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 22:05
egmat wrote:
ankursethi297 wrote:

Please suggest

Hello ankursethi297,

Let me help you resolve your confusion about this official sentence. :-)

If two independent clauses are connected by just a comma, then the structure is called a run-off sentence.

However, this official sentence is not a run-off sentence because there is only one independent clause in this sentence the SV pair of which is The single family house... was.

Please note that the words overlaid and banked are verb-ed modifiers that modifies the preceding noun entity its framework of poles.

Generally, test takers mistake all the verb-ed words as modifiers. But that is not the case. To learn how to distinguish between the verb-ed modifier and the simple past tense that also ends in "ed", please review the article named ED FORMS - Verbs or Modifiers in the following link:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ed-forms-verbs-or-modifiers-134691.html

Now let's talk about the structure its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark, either cedar or pine, and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet. This tructure can very well be connected to a preceding clause by a comma because it is what we call at e-GMAT is a Noun + Noun Modifier in which its framework of poles = Noun and overlaid with slabs of bark, either cedar or pine, and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet = Noun Modifiers.

We have a super detailed article named Noun + Noun Modifiers: The most "versatile" modifier that explains in excruciating details how these modifiers work with numerous official examples. You can review this article in the following link:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/noun-noun-modifiers-the-most-versatile-modifier-137292.html

So, this official sentence contains an independent clause that is connected to a modifier by a comma.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha (e-Gmat),

What is this Noun + Noun Modifier referring to in this Question?

Could you please throw some light on the same?

Thanks in advance! :)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 42

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2017, 00:12
Hi snjainpune,

Let me try

Here 'it's framework' - 'a pronoun (referring to house) + noun (framework)' is modifying the house (a single family house).

AND 'overlaid with....' and 'banked with....' correctly modifying the framework of that house.

Hope it is clear now.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 42

Re: QOTD: The single-family house constructed by the Yana   [#permalink] 10 Dec 2017, 00:12

QOTD: The single-family house constructed by the Yana

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap