GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 16:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Questrom w/ 100% scholarship vs. take a promotion, reapply in 2 years

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Questrom w/ 100% scholarship vs. take a promotion, reapply in 2 years  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 19:20
I recently applied to HBS, Sloan, and Questrom in round 1. I did get an interview at Sloan, but unfortunately got denied. Questrom admitted me with a full tuition scholarship. I am focused in the Boston area because my fiance has a 3 year contract at her workplace and we don't want to split up.

I'm 28, 740 gmat (49 Q, 42 V), but my undergrad GPA is only 2.6. The first two years of school I was on a sports team and was stretched too thin. After I quit the team, my GPA went up to 3.3 if you consider only the last couple years. I went to Cornell and got an engineering degree.

I have an opportunity to take a solid, but not spectacular, promotion at work that would give me an opportunity to manage a team. I could work for an additional 2 years, then reapply to more schools in the top 20.

My ultimate goal is to be an entrepreneur and I feel like Boston is a good location to pursue that. Right now I am leaning towards going to Questrom so I can get started. But I am worried that I am leaving something on the table and could be more successful with a T20 brand name to back me up.

Any thoughts? Thanks all.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Questrom w/ 100% scholarship vs. take a promotion, reapply in 2 years  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 21:10
That’s a tough one. I’m unsure whether a Questrom MBA will add much value, given that you have an ivy for your undergrad and what sounds to be good work opportunities already. If I were in your shoes, I’d take the promotion and reassess in a year.

I am also wondering whether a part-time MBA at BC would be worth considering. I think that’s the most reputable local program excluding HBS/MIT.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
Re: Questrom w/ 100% scholarship vs. take a promotion, reapply in 2 years  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 21:17
work for two more years and reapply
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 21:22
Congrats on getting a Full Ride at Questrom.

I assume you want to be an entreprenur, you want to start your own business vs. working for a venture fund or PE.

If believe in yourself as an entrepreneur and committed to it, you would benefit more from not having school debt and not being reminded by your significant other that he/she is paying your school bills. However, starting your own business is tough and statistically many ventures fail and require folks to look for jobs. Questrom would not be as helpful as Sloan or another top 20 school in getting a job or opening some high-paying doors.

If you are not sure 100% about entrepreneurship, and want to have a great name on your resume (not many CEO's have gone to Sloan or gotten an Ivy League MBA, though all BCG consultants did), and if you really like your job or you think you will like it a lot more, then a promotion will be a good opportunity to strengthen your profile. Waiting may be a better plan since many MBA students change their plans in flight or if they get kids (you will have to have a FT Job and your own gig going at the same time). I would chat with your fiance and figure out what plans you have. My wife wanted to have kids before she was 30 - it was much easier than when she was having the second one at 31. Your situation may be different in terms of children (may not be a question at all but it is a big one if you have not addressed it yet). There is never a perfect time to have kids by the way - there is just not.

I would also recommend starting your own venture on a side and putting it in motion while you have a job - that will be a great opportunity to get ahead and also something to show off to the AdCom - to set yourself apart and demonstrate commitment to your goal. (Your Fiance will also appreciate it). However, life can and will work out either way. Sometimes we can't wait 2 years.

Good Luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

GMAT Club Bot
Questrom w/ 100% scholarship vs. take a promotion, reapply in 2 years &nbs [#permalink] 02 Jan 2018, 21:22

Questrom w/ 100% scholarship vs. take a promotion, reapply in 2 years

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, swbluedevil

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap