GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 09:48

LIVE NOW!

How to Quickly Solve GMAT Questions - Chat with ExamPAL. Join HERE!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

RATT RACE: Memories change with time

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
RATT RACE: Memories change with time  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 08:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (00:47) correct 31% (00:46) wrong based on 182 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Memories change with time; for instance, if both members of a long-married couple are asked to describe the day that they met, they will often give widely differing accounts.

(A) that

(B) where

(C) of when

(D) while

(E) on which

Day 11 Question of the Verbal Contest: GMAT Club RATT Race
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: RATT RACE: Memories change with time  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 09:29
Memories change with time; for instance, if both members of a long-married couple are asked to describe the day that they met, they will often give widely differing accounts.

(A) that

(B) where........where indicates a place or location. So this can be ruled out straight away.

(C) of when.........when indicates time but of......... phrase is awkward. ruled out.

(D) while..........while indicates the occurrence of two simultaneous events but there are no such scenario here.

(E) on which

I got stuck between A and E as I felt E as right choice by intuition but not sure why that is incorrect as per the given sentence or option A.
I selected E at last.
Retired Moderator
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Real Estate (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 09:51
I select E. Shouldn't it be "in which" though?

New Application Tracker : update your school profiles instantly!

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.25
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 15:23
Was torn between A and E.

However asked myself this question... what day do the couples give different accounts of? (day that they met). So picked choice A.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 16:52
the sentence is good as-is. all the other options are not clear or do not make sense.
SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 18:55
The sentence uses the phrase 'the day', indicating that the sentence talks about a specific day on which the couples met. So 'which' should take precedence over 'that'.

IMO the answer should be E.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 19:18
hi,

Lot of you have written choice as A, but I believe it would be wrong..
I can say
1) the day they met.
2) the day when they met
3) the day on which they met
But NOT the day that they met

I can use THAT when I say -- He can still remember the day of 29th march/may, the day that changed his life.

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Stern Thread Master
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 2: 660 Q37 V33
GPA: 3.13
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 21:05
I think it's E. All the other options sound off when I read them. E is the only one that makes sense. Personally I think it should be 'when' but that's not one of the options, so E it is. :)
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Other, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 23:49
I will go with E.

Couples describing the day that they met, does not sound right.

Describing the day on which they met is better.
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2016, 09:43
(A) Incorrect
Modifier / Meaning: The original sentence is not correct, though it may sound just fine! Here’s an example of correct usage for the noun modifier that: The cat that I own is very friendly. The expression the cat that I own can be turned around in this way: I own the cat. In other words, the subject and verb of the modifying clause, I own, become the main subject and verb of the “turned-around” sentence, and the noun being modified, cat, becomes the object of that turned-around sentence. (The modifier marker, that, is dropped.)
But look what happens when you try that same trick on the given problem: They met the day. Except…they didn’t meet the day. They met each other, and they met on that day.

(B) Incorrect
Meaning or Idiom: The modifier where is inappropriate because the day is not a location.

(C) Incorrect
Meaning or Idiom: Of when is not an acceptable idiom in English; if you know that, you can eliminate this choice. Alternatively, it is redundant to say the day when they met, as the word day already conveys a timeframe. You could say simply the day they met.

(D) Incorrect
Modifier / meaning: While is not a noun modifier marker; it’s an adverbial modifier marker. In other words, it is modifying more than just a plain noun. In this case, it would need to modify the action describe the day, so the sentence is saying that the description occurs at the time of their first meeting. While they meet for the first time, they describe that day / that meeting. This is illogical, since the sentence refers to a long-married couple whose memories have changed over time.

(E) CORRECT
Few people use the construction on which (or by which or for whom or etc) in casual speech, but it is the proper construction here. If you haven’t read the explanation for answer (A) yet, take a look at it now, then come back here. Try that same trick with this choice (this time, keep the of but still drop the modifier marker, which) : They met on the day. Yes! This is exactly what the sentence is trying to say: the couple met on the day.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2016, 03:12
Option E it is. Option A is out because of Modifier issues , so is option D. B & C use the wrong idiom.

" The few , the fearless "

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 07:24
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: RATT RACE: Memories change with time &nbs [#permalink] 13 Sep 2018, 07:24

RATT RACE: Memories change with time

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap