Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 26 May 2017, 09:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

12 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 140 [12] , given: 0

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2003, 02:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (01:50) correct 57% (01:02) wrong based on 4693 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

(A) its many problems had been the recent
(B) its many problems has been the recently
(C) its many problems is the recently
(D) their many problems is the recent
(E) their many problems had been the recent
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [2] , given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2004, 01:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
108. Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.
(A) its many problems had been the recent This sounds right(B) its many problems has been the recentlythis is wrong because, the exteded sales alump in women's aparralle acts like a noun clause. We cannot modify a noun or a noun clause with an adverb as in this choice. Secondly the choice has been does not sound right to me because there was a sale slump before the problem and therefore, this choice does not properly establish the sequence of events events.C) its many problems is the recently This must be eliminated
(D) their many problems is the recent this must be eliminated
(E) their many problems had been the recent. this must be eliminated
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2006, 05:53
Professor wrote:
karlfurt wrote:
I ve still trouble with this 2 years old post!

I agree with the tense, but my problem concerns "its".
Normally the pronoun IT refers to non-humans and HE, to human beings.

Thus, i didn't choose A, but E, which is wrong.

Can someone please explain me why ITS instead of HIS, is correct?
Many thanks

you are correct. "the seven stor retailor" is not a person rather its a retail company name.

Thanks, Professor. But....

Hereby the correct CR, (E) contains THEIR instead of ITS(see below). But it doesn't change much what I want to point out.

Assuming that retailer is a company name, I think it is still not correct.
I've replaced retailer with a famous brand, and it sounds strange. In that case, should (E) not be the best of the worse answers?

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, COCA-COLA said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2006, 20:13
karlfurt wrote:
Professor wrote:
now where you see the problem? i donot see any. its correct....

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer (COCA-COLA) said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

Until now, I didn't know that human attributes can be given to things.

I never read in the business press, that a company could report and talk. I would rather say, "the (CEO or spokesman) of Coca said...".

I was probably wrong. Since I started to study the gmat, I have an over-tendency to analyse details. :wink:

Well there are a few more examples of this type where inanimate things can be given attributes of animate things:

One example is given below:

Upset by the recent downturn in production numbers during the first half of the year, the possibility of adding worker incentives was raised by the board of directors at its quarterly meeting.
(A) the possibility of adding worker incentives was raised by the board of directors at its quarterly meeting
(B) the addition of worker incentives was raised as a possibility by the board of directors at its quarterly meeting
(C) added worker incentives was raised by the board of directors at its quarterly meeting as a possibility
(D) the board of directors raised at its quarterly meeting the possibility of worker incentives being added
(E) the board of directors, at its quarterly meeting, raised the possibility of adding worker incentives

Here the answer is E.
And in E "its" is used for "Board of Directors" that was Upset and raised the possibility of adding worker incentives.

Regards,
Brajesh
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 822 [0], given: 1

Re: SC:Adverb usage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2008, 03:58
What I do know for sure is that there are two usages for the past participle:
1) either as an adjective to describe its attached noun (notice how I just used the word "attached" in this sentence).
example:
a) the broken plane is repaired.
Note: both the "broken" and "repaired" are used to describe the noun "plane."

b) The trained police dog.
Note: "trained" is used to describe the noun "dog."

2) The past participle can be used as a verb ONLY when it is constructed in the past perfect construction.
example:
a) I had EATEN when Tom arrived.
Note: had + past participle
this is the past perfect construction that describes a completed action in the past before another action on the past. According to our example, it means that I finished eating in the past before Tom arrive in the past.

Hope that helps
cheers
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. Liquidation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2008, 07:03
My ans is C.

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women’s apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.
if we use 'had been' which means the problem no more exists and thus it wouldnt make sense to use 'would start' in the 2nd part of the sentence.
same reason as option 1.
the problem still exists therefore 'is' should be used.
usage of the pronoun 'their' is incorrect ... retailer stores cannot use pronoun their .. even in the second half of the sentence 'it' replaces the retailer stores
usage of the pronoun their is incorrect
SVP
SVP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 774 [0], given: 19

Re: SC-Reporting [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2009, 19:12
vivektripathi wrote:
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women’s apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

Tense should be present or past perfect continues??

Agree with A but why? The issue here is recent. Recent not recently, which changes the meaning, is correct. Lets see:

A: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent (extended) sales slump in women’s apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

B: Reporting that one of its many problems has been the recently(extended) sales slump in women’s apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

............and so on.

Recent (adjective) in A is clearly better than recently (Adverb)in B. Sales slum (noun) is modified by extended (adjective), which is further modified by recent (adjective). Recently (adverb) cannot modify adj.

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 2

V.40) Reporting that one of its many problems, had been the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2010, 19:18
V.40) Reporting that one of its many problems, had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores

A) its many problems had been the recent
C) its many problems is the recently

the correct answer is A...I know what the problem in verb tense is, however, my question is about "recent".
The explanation provided in the book says: the adverb "recently" modifies only the adjective "extended", distorting meaning.

I'm sure if I understand why it should be "recent", not "recently. Isn't it modifying the adjective "extended"?

thanks,
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Sentence correction - women's apparel , tense [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2010, 16:53
"Has" refers to something starting in the past and continues now. It could be a candidate for the correction; however, as mentioned, the retailer "said" indicates this sentence is referring to a past event.

"Is" doesn't make sense because it refers only to the present and lacks any temporal component. The slump happened over a period of time and not just now.

"Had" makes sense because the event in the sentence happened in the past and the recently slumping sales happened even further back in the past. "Had" is used to distinguish the timing of two past events (e.g., I had visited to Paris before I left for Greece).

If for example the phrase "retailer says" was used instead of "retailer said" then "has" would be appropriate.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 39 [1] , given: 0

Re: GMAT Verbal Q [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2010, 14:57
This post received
KUDOS
* Recent is the adjective form; adjective always modify nouns and hence recent modifies extended sale slump (noun form)
* Recently is an adverb form; adverbs modify verbs, adjective or another adverb and hence recently modifies only extended (which is an adjective for sales slump)

Besides that, I think the question is of using "had been" vs "is". With the verb "said" (past tense), "had been" is appropriate since sales slump happened before the retailer said and it happened in the past. So perfect tense is used rather than simple present.

Hope this helps.

Please give Kudos if you like the explanation :)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
WE: Project Management (Venture Capital)

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 11

Re: SC: Take a look. Confusing. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2011, 09:33
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Ron Purewal of MGMAT addressed this issue on a different forum! Just for everybody's benefit...this is what he exactly said -

"recent" is an adjective; as such, it modifies a noun.
"recently" is an adverb; as such, it modifies an action, adjective, or other adverb.

the difference here is meaning-based: if the INTENDED MEANING of the sentence is that the noun itself is recent, then you use "recent" to describe that noun.
on the other hand, if the INTENDED MEANING of the sentence is that an action, adjective, or other adverb is recent, then you should use "recently".

examples: (note that "mastering" a sound recording means to improve the quality of the sound after initially recording it)

* recently mastered recordings
--> here, "recently" is an adverb, and so it modifies "mastered".
therefore, this phrase refers to recordings that have been mastered recently -- regardless of the time at which they were originally recorded. so, for instance, if i have a 1947 recording of arturo toscanini's orchestra that was just mastered last year, then that's a recently mastered recording.

* recent mastered recordings
--> here, "recent" is an adjective, and so it modifies "(mastered) recordings".
therefore, this phrase refers to recent recordings that also happen to have been mastered. so, for instance, the aforementioned toscanini recording would *not* be one of these, because it's not a recent recording.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
G
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1691

Kudos [?]: 13558 [0], given: 1907

Re: Reporting that one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2012, 00:01
Hey
Past perfect formes are used to establish a timeline.
If a sentense contains 2 past tenses, a past perfect is used to denote that one past event occured before the other past event.
For example:
Though I had worked too hard, I did not receive any compensation.
I did not have any money because I had lost my wallet.
Think about these examples
The action which is denoted by the past perfect tense MUST be an event which occured BEFORE the action that is denoted by simple past. You cannot have a standalone past perfect in a sentence.
Let me know if you have more doubts about tenses.
http://gmatclub.com/blog/2012/06/gmat-v ... ect-tense/
This article might come in handy as well.

HTH,
Souvik

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
B
Followers: 2216

Kudos [?]: 7753 [0], given: 291

Re: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2012, 15:12
skamal7 wrote:
i have a clear understanding why had been tense should be used. But really i dont understand is there any problem why recently(adverb) cant modify the verb extended sales slump? or it can modify????

Hi there,

Let's take an example and explain:

Currently the date is Dec 20.
Picture that there is a discount offer going on in a store for Christmas.
Now this discount offer is extended beyond Dec 25 till 31 Dec.
So this becomes extended discount offer.

Now imagine if similar thing happened during Thanksgiving weekend (Nov 22) as well.
The discount offer was initially supposed to be only for 3 days.
But it was extended for 3 more days.
So that was also an extended discount offer.

So if today is Dec 20, then there is one extended discount offer going on right now through Dec 31. This extended sale is recent
But the one that happened in the end of November is not recent anymore.

Hopefully this helps explain why recent and extended are mutually exclusive. One is not dependent on the other. They are both individual adjectives of sales slump.

However, in choice B, you actually make "recently" modify extended, implying that the sales slump was recently extended.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 1464 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Reporting that one of its many problems [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2013, 04:23
This post received
KUDOS
umeshpatil wrote:
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

A. its many problems had been the recent
B. its many problems has been the recently
C. its many problems is the recently
D. their many problems is the recent
E. their many problems had been the recent

Can you please explain what is wrong with Options B & C ?
I also want to know how recent extended and recently extended are different?

Hii Umesh.
First understand the meaning of the sentence in question.
Two things are taking place here.
i) The retailer is reporting that he has been facing problems because of the recent extended sales slump.
ii) The retailer said that he would start a three month liquidation sales.
Now, since you to strictly mention the sequence of events, henceforth you have to use had been.
Without this, it would seem that retailer would start a three month liquidation sales and will then report. That will distort the meaning as well as be an illogical choice too.

Now to your second question:
Recent extended sales slump- It implies that among several extended sales slump, you are more concerned with the recent one. Recent is an adjective and describes the noun-extended sales slump.
Recently extended sales slump-It implies that among several sales slumps, you are more concerned with the recently extend one. Recently is an adverb here and modifies only "extended".

These are the problems with B and C.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 69

Re: Reporting that one of its many problems [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2013, 17:46
about recent vs recently.
recent is an adjective whereas recently is an adverb. Adjective tells more information about noun whereas adverb does it for an action or verb.
In the current example, we need a word that add more information about 'sales slump'. extended is also an adjective. So, recent is the perfect match in the given example.

For example,
I appeared for the GMAT test recently.
The result of the recent GMAT test appeared by me was surprising.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GPA: 3.97
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2014, 12:07
Recent and recently – change the meaning of the sentence. Sentence intends to say that the recent extended sales slump– extended sales slump is a recent event; recently extended sales slump– suggests the sales were going on for a while and have been recently extended..

Reporting that indicates that something is being reported.. and extended sales is in “Past tense”..thus Past Perfect should be used... As the usage of Past tense with Present Perfect (has been) or Present (is)..should be incorrect..

Confusion – could lie in seven store retailer and the use of “its”. Read some posts and as stated its representing a company and not a person and for that reason “its” use is valid.
“Its” should be used because ‘its’ is referring to the seven store retailer and not retailers, as its reflected in the later part of the sentence as well…the usage of “its stores”…

KUDOS!!!, I need them too :)

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Other
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 477 [0], given: 606

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2014, 07:58
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Reporting that
one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel,
the seven-store retailer
said
it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

1.Something happened so SSR would do something. [Cause and Event]. Since cause is finished C is out.
Between A and B:
1. Recent-> Adj Vs Recently->Adv.
2. Recent in A modifies (noun) sales slump where as recently modifies (adj) extended.[grammatically correct.]
3. B means that sale slump has been recently extended whereas intended meaning is that recent sale slump has been extended [differ in meaning. To be frank i really had tough time in identifying the logical error.Thanks to Gmac for putting this along with tense error.].
4. Usage of has been(present) with (past) said is wrong in B. A fixes this by putting had been (past) which means cause finished before verb (past) said.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Manager
Manager
Status: I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 68

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 09:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mvrravikanth wrote:
In option 'B',...recently extended sales slump..",verb 'recently' modifies the adjective 'extended' and 'extended' modifies 'sales slump' right?

What is the difference between recent extended sales slump and recently extended sales slump?

Please help me out on this distinction.

Thanks.

First of all it all depends on the context and meaning of the sentence.

"Recently extended sales" is of the form Adverb - Adjective - Noun.
"Recent extended sales" is of the form Adjective - Adjective - Noun.

We have to understand the meaning here.

If we go by the Second statement then recent modifies sales slump. Though technically "Recent sales slump" is correct but here in this case "Recently" needs to modify "Extended".

There is really no other distinguishing parameter here other than understanding the meaning.

In GMAT, Adjective - Adjective - Noun is correct and Adverb - Adjective - Noun is also correct. But which to use when depends on the context.

Also, other things to look at in the above sentence.

Present + Future -------------------- is correct.
Past + Conditional ---------------------is correct.

Only above conditions are possible.
Present + Conditional---------------------------- is wrong.
Past + Future ------------------------------------ is wrong.

Use of their vs it/its

Here we have to look at the non - underlined part.

The non underlined part " the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores"
uses it /its, hence we have to use it in the underlined part. This is the basic rule of pronoun agreement.

Pronoun must refer to the same subject. Here subject is "Seven Store Retailer"
Pronoun must agree in number. It is singular and their is plural. both cant refer to same antecedent "Seven Store Retailer".

Hence, correct OA is A.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas '16, AGSM '16

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2015, 23:52

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.1
WE: Business Development (Other)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 15

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2016, 23:39
Correct me if i'm wrong.

But the reason why i chose A for this Question :

The singular pronoun "its" correctly refers to singular subject "Retailer". "their" is plural , hence we can eliminate D,E
"Recently " is an adverb and cannot modify noun "slump" . Eliminate B, C.

Now my question is would the following sent be correct :
Reporting that one of its many problems "has" been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

is it necessary to have the "had been" structure in the following sentence.?
Re: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2016, 23:39

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 33 posts ]