GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 12 Jul 2020, 22:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Reviews Badge
Re: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2019, 02:51
B and C are wrong as ‘recently’ changes the meaning of the sentence. With recently the sentence says that the sales slump was deliberately extended by someone. D and E are wrong because they use the plural ‘they’ to refer to a singular ‘retailer’,
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 2.7
Re: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2019, 02:32
The Subject is Team and the players, Therefore its is used and their.....
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2020, 21:20
Still not clear on had/has. Would be great if someone could clarify:-

What if the conversation happened yesterday and the problem still persists?
Can anyone suggest what would be the issue with option B.) then from has/had perspective. The problem stands today as well so in my opinion had should not come as had should be used only when the problem ended.

I got the recently/recent point so that points A as valid choice.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2020, 23:17
if two adjectives are used to describe one noun. Shouldn't there be a comma? Recent,extended sales slump
Tutor
V

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2020, 03:38
saro wrote:
if two adjectives are used to describe one noun. Shouldn't there be a comma? Recent,extended sales slump

Hello, saro. What you are thinking about are coordinate adjectives, and the rule there is that if you can reverse the order of the adjectives (some sources also say to place "and" between them) without distorting the expression of vital meaning, then you do add a comma. Consider the following sentences:

1) I hope you lead a long, prosperous life.

2) I hope you lead a prosperous, long life.

Although I would favor the first sentence since it seems to roll off the tongue a bit better, the two adjectives can be switched seamlessly. Compare to the following two sentences:

1) The big brown bear attacked the hikers.

2) The brown big bear attacked the hikers.

The second sentence is the kind that a youngster might utter before a parent would offer a correction (to the first sentence). The adjectives here are fixed. Grammatically, they are known as cumulative adjectives. In all honesty, there is no particular underlying reason that the second sentence is incorrect. Other languages, such as Japanese, allow for much looser placement of the grammatical components of a sentence. In English, though, this is just how the language has been passed down, and at some point in time, grammarians decided to make up a rule.

Now, looking at the sentence we are dealing with in this SC question, you will notice that we have more than two adjectives. In fact, we have three: recent extended sales. Even though sales can be used as a noun, its placement before slump indicates that it is modifying the slump instead as an adjective. The question is, can we reverse the placement of any of these adjectives?

1) recent extended sales slump
(This works, since the sentence is discussing an extended slump of some sort, one that has occurred more recently.)

2) extended recent sales slump
(This will not work in the given context of the sentence, since the sentence is now discussing a recent slump that is being extended.)

3) recent sales extended slump

4) extended sales recent slump

5) sales recent extended slump

6) sales extended recent slump

The punctuation issue is not really a concern here, given that none of the answer choices opt for commas at the end, but you never know what a different question might spring on you.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2020, 03:51
shaldor wrote:
What if the conversation happened yesterday and the problem still persists?

Hi shaldor, it is clear that reporting by the retailer happened in the past (let's say yesterday). Since the reporting happened yesterday, the retailer can obviously comment only on what had been plaguing the retailer (in this case extended sales slump) either yesterday or sometime before yesterday.

In other words, since the reporting happened yesterday, the retailer cannot comment on what is plaguing the retailer today! (commenting about today would be futuristic from yesterday's perspective, and would typically require the usage of would).

You can watch our video on Past Perfect.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Past perfect tense, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
EducationAisle Online GMAT Classes

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Join us for a free GMAT Live Online Class from anywhere in the world
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2020, 03:51

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics