GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 01:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 Oct 2018, 20:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (00:48) correct 51% (01:03) wrong based on 1475 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

(A) its many problems had been the recent

(B) its many problems has been the recently

(C) its many problems is the recently

(D) their many problems is the recent

(E) their many problems had been the recent

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 242: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Spoiler: :: nytimes article
https://www.nytimes.com/1989/06/09/business/cohoes-stores-in-bankruptcy.html

Reporting that one problem had been the recent, extended sales slump in women's apparel, the five-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale next week in its flagship store in Cohoes, just north of Albany, and in the East Windsor, Conn., branch store. Its three other stores - in Rochester; Cranston, R.I., and Princeton, N.J. - have already closed.

Originally posted by Sameer on 23 May 2003, 01:43.
Last edited by Bunuel on 16 Oct 2018, 20:41, edited 2 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: QOTD: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 03:33
This one is an absolute classic. One key to the question is that “the seven-store retailer” is singular, so “its” definitely works better than “they.” Most people catch that part, though.

The more common mistake is with the verb tenses. Hopefully, you immediately notice the verb tense in the phrase “one of its many problems had been the recent... sales slump." "Had been" is past perfect tense, and for that to be acceptable, there has to another past action somewhere in the sentence that occurs AFTER the recent sales slump. The tricky part is noticing that "said" is actually in simple past tense, and that actually makes sense: the recent sales slump had been a problem before the retailer said that it would begin liquidation.

So with that in mind…
Quote:

This looks pretty good. The pronoun is correct, and the past perfect makes sense, as described above. So let’s keep (A).

Quote:

Now the verb tense doesn’t work: “has been” (present perfect, if you like jargon) indicates an action that started in the past and continues into the present. So the sequencing doesn’t really make sense in its current form: literally, it’s saying that the retailer said -- in the past – that it would start a liquidation sale (implying that the retailer is closing down), but somehow it reported an ongoing sales slump that continues into the present? Seems odd to me. We’re trying to say that one of the retailer’s many problems included a sales slump, and THEN the retailer announced the liquidation. So the present perfect tense isn’t ideal in (B).

And if you don’t believe that, we also have a problem with the adverb “recently”:
  • ”recent extended sales slump” → Both “recent” and “extended” are adjectives that describe the “sales slump.” And that makes sense: the sales slump is extended (a synonym for “long” in this case), and it also is recent. Fine.
  • ”recently extended sales slump” → Now “recently” is an adverb that modifies “extended.” That warps the meaning: now the sales slump was recently extended, meaning that the sales slump was just – in the last few days or weeks – somehow lengthened. And there’s no reason why we would say that here: the sentence is trying to say that the sales slump itself was recent, not that it was lengthened recently.

So we have a couple of not-terribly-easy reasons to eliminate (B).

Quote:

(C) basically has some of the same problems as (B). For starters, the present tense is definitely wrong here: the retailer – in the past tense – said that it would start a liquidation sale, so it doesn’t make sense to say that one of its many problems is the sales slump. How could the sales slump happen AFTER the announcement to liquidate?

And “recently” is still a problem, too. See the explanation for (B) for more on this issue.

So (C) is out.

Quote:

The present tense still doesn’t make sense – see the explanation for (C) for more on that issue. And “their” is plural, and can’t logically refer to the (singular) “seven-store retailer.”

So we can eliminate (D).

Quote:

I’m good with the verb tense (see the explanation at the very top of this post for more), but “their” once again can’t refer to the (singular) “seven-store retailer.”

We can eliminate (E), and we’re left with (A).

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
WE: Project Management (Venture Capital)
Re: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2011, 08:33
Ron Purewal of MGMAT addressed this issue on a different forum! Just for everybody's benefit...this is what he exactly said -

"recent" is an adjective; as such, it modifies a noun.
"recently" is an adverb; as such, it modifies an action, adjective, or other adverb.

the difference here is meaning-based: if the INTENDED MEANING of the sentence is that the noun itself is recent, then you use "recent" to describe that noun.
on the other hand, if the INTENDED MEANING of the sentence is that an action, adjective, or other adverb is recent, then you should use "recently".

examples: (note that "mastering" a sound recording means to improve the quality of the sound after initially recording it)

* recently mastered recordings
--> here, "recently" is an adverb, and so it modifies "mastered".
therefore, this phrase refers to recordings that have been mastered recently -- regardless of the time at which they were originally recorded. so, for instance, if i have a 1947 recording of arturo toscanini's orchestra that was just mastered last year, then that's a recently mastered recording.

* recent mastered recordings
--> here, "recent" is an adjective, and so it modifies "(mastered) recordings".
therefore, this phrase refers to recent recordings that also happen to have been mastered. so, for instance, the aforementioned toscanini recording would *not* be one of these, because it's not a recent recording.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Re: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2004, 00:32
108. Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.
(A) its many problems had been the recent This sounds right(B) its many problems has been the recentlythis is wrong because, the exteded sales alump in women's aparralle acts like a noun clause. We cannot modify a noun or a noun clause with an adverb as in this choice. Secondly the choice has been does not sound right to me because there was a sale slump before the problem and therefore, this choice does not properly establish the sequence of events events.C) its many problems is the recently This must be eliminated
(D) their many problems is the recent this must be eliminated
(E) their many problems had been the recent. this must be eliminated
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2010, 13:57
* Recent is the adjective form; adjective always modify nouns and hence recent modifies extended sale slump (noun form)
* Recently is an adverb form; adverbs modify verbs, adjective or another adverb and hence recently modifies only extended (which is an adjective for sales slump)

Besides that, I think the question is of using "had been" vs "is". With the verb "said" (past tense), "had been" is appropriate since sales slump happened before the retailer said and it happened in the past. So perfect tense is used rather than simple present.

Hope this helps.

Please give Kudos if you like the explanation :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2012, 23:01
i have a clear understanding why had been tense should be used. But really i dont understand is there any problem why recently(adverb) cant modify the verb extended sales slump? or it can modify????
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2012, 14:12
skamal7 wrote:
i have a clear understanding why had been tense should be used. But really i dont understand is there any problem why recently(adverb) cant modify the verb extended sales slump? or it can modify????

Hi there,

Let's take an example and explain:

Currently the date is Dec 20.
Picture that there is a discount offer going on in a store for Christmas.
Now this discount offer is extended beyond Dec 25 till 31 Dec.
So this becomes extended discount offer.

Now imagine if similar thing happened during Thanksgiving weekend (Nov 22) as well.
The discount offer was initially supposed to be only for 3 days.
But it was extended for 3 more days.
So that was also an extended discount offer.

So if today is Dec 20, then there is one extended discount offer going on right now through Dec 31. This extended sale is recent
But the one that happened in the end of November is not recent anymore.

Hopefully this helps explain why recent and extended are mutually exclusive. One is not dependent on the other. They are both individual adjectives of sales slump.

However, in choice B, you actually make "recently" modify extended, implying that the sales slump was recently extended.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2013, 03:23
umeshpatil wrote:
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

A. its many problems had been the recent
B. its many problems has been the recently
C. its many problems is the recently
D. their many problems is the recent
E. their many problems had been the recent

Can you please explain what is wrong with Options B & C ?
I also want to know how recent extended and recently extended are different?

Hii Umesh.
First understand the meaning of the sentence in question.
Two things are taking place here.
i) The retailer is reporting that he has been facing problems because of the recent extended sales slump.
ii) The retailer said that he would start a three month liquidation sales.
Now, since you to strictly mention the sequence of events, henceforth you have to use had been.
Without this, it would seem that retailer would start a three month liquidation sales and will then report. That will distort the meaning as well as be an illogical choice too.

Now to your second question:
Recent extended sales slump- It implies that among several extended sales slump, you are more concerned with the recent one. Recent is an adjective and describes the noun-extended sales slump.
Recently extended sales slump-It implies that among several sales slumps, you are more concerned with the recently extend one. Recently is an adverb here and modifies only "extended".

These are the problems with B and C.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2014, 03:34
IMO A,

1) since the seven retailer is singular, therefore usage of plural their is incorrect. hence option d and e are out.
2) usage of past perfect tense is correct as reporting of problems happened earlier and the retailer's decision of liquidation happened later.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2014, 03:40
manpreetsingh86 wrote:
IMO A,

1) since the seven retailer is singular, therefore usage of plural their is incorrect. hence option d and e are out.
2) usage of past perfect tense is correct as reporting of problems happened earlier and the retailer's decision of liquidation happened later.

I am still unable to understand the use of past perfect tense!

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2014, 07:06
@honchos
Obviously you are thinking of the present perfect or simple present tense. If you see deeply, both of them don’t work; a present tense or present perfect is used for something that is still persisting. In this case, the recent slump was extended but the issue is a thing of past now. So to describe it with a present tense or present perfect will be unsuitable. Of course in B, the ‘recently’ is an yet another pin prick

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2014, 07:13
manpreetsingh86 wrote:
IMO A,

decision of liquidation happened later: this decision is happening in present not in past.

For past perfect two comparing even should happen in past time Line.

In our case one event is in past and one in present. Thats my point Boss.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.
My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-score-750-and-750-i-moved-from-710-to-189016.html

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2014, 08:08
The recent extended sales slump was in the past; the retailer’s saying was in the past; that the company would start a three-month liquidation was in the modal past; all of these later events are described in past tense, and are not underlined. So we have to take them per se.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 4
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2014, 06:58
In option 'B',...recently extended sales slump..",verb 'recently' modifies the adjective 'extended' and 'extended' modifies 'sales slump' right?

What is the difference between recent extended sales slump and recently extended sales slump?

Please help me out on this distinction.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Status: I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2014, 08:41
mvrravikanth wrote:
In option 'B',...recently extended sales slump..",verb 'recently' modifies the adjective 'extended' and 'extended' modifies 'sales slump' right?

What is the difference between recent extended sales slump and recently extended sales slump?

Please help me out on this distinction.

Thanks.

First of all it all depends on the context and meaning of the sentence.

"Recently extended sales" is of the form Adverb - Adjective - Noun.
"Recent extended sales" is of the form Adjective - Adjective - Noun.

We have to understand the meaning here.

If we go by the Second statement then recent modifies sales slump. Though technically "Recent sales slump" is correct but here in this case "Recently" needs to modify "Extended".

There is really no other distinguishing parameter here other than understanding the meaning.

In GMAT, Adjective - Adjective - Noun is correct and Adverb - Adjective - Noun is also correct. But which to use when depends on the context.

Also, other things to look at in the above sentence.

Present + Future -------------------- is correct.
Past + Conditional ---------------------is correct.

Only above conditions are possible.
Present + Conditional---------------------------- is wrong.
Past + Future ------------------------------------ is wrong.

Use of their vs it/its

Here we have to look at the non - underlined part.

The non underlined part " the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores"
uses it /its, hence we have to use it in the underlined part. This is the basic rule of pronoun agreement.

Pronoun must refer to the same subject. Here subject is "Seven Store Retailer"
Pronoun must agree in number. It is singular and their is plural. both cant refer to same antecedent "Seven Store Retailer".

Hence, correct OA is A.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.1
WE: Business Development (Other)

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2016, 22:39
Correct me if i'm wrong.

But the reason why i chose A for this Question :

The singular pronoun "its" correctly refers to singular subject "Retailer". "their" is plural , hence we can eliminate D,E
"Recently " is an adverb and cannot modify noun "slump" . Eliminate B, C.

Now my question is would the following sent be correct :
Reporting that one of its many problems "has" been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

is it necessary to have the "had been" structure in the following sentence.?
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2016, 07:59
cmpunk1990 wrote:
Correct me if i'm wrong.

But the reason why i chose A for this Question :

The singular pronoun "its" correctly refers to singular subject "Retailer". "their" is plural , hence we can eliminate D,E
"Recently " is an adverb and cannot modify noun "slump" . Eliminate B, C.

Now my question is would the following sent be correct :
Reporting that one of its many problems "has" been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

is it necessary to have the "had been" structure in the following sentence.?

The verb "had been" is within a statement ("said") that happened in the past. This implies that the verb "had been" occurred prior to another verb in the past "said". Hence past perfect is mandatory.

For example:

1. I say that I was happy, but I will be sad.... correct
2. I said that I had been happy, but I would be sad.. correct
3. I said that I was happy, but I will be sad... wrong

Whenever a verb is within a statement in past, we need to take the verb one step back, i.e. simple past would become past perfect, future (will) would become conditional tense (would).
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.75
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2017, 11:16
Saw the below clear response by ManhattanGMAT Staff. Thought I should repost it. Because the answers here weren't very clear for me on why it should be "had" and not "has". See original thread here: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... -t763.html

The perfect tenses, though used infrequently on the GMAT, often induce this type of confusion. Remember, the present perfect is used when an event began at some time in the past and continues to the present moment, while the past perfect indicates a completed past event that happened before a second completed past event. In the cited example, the verb "said" in the non-underlined section of the sentence is a past tense verb. In order to indicate that the sales slump occurred prior to this past announcement, the past perfect tense is necessary.

A second approach would have been to focus on the recent/recently split. It is nonsensical that a retailer would INTENTIONALLY extend a sales slump. However, this is exactly what is suggested by the adverb "recently," which modifies the adjective "extended." The sentence should instead include the adjective "recent," which correctly describes the slump. Thus, answer choices B and C are eliminated. From there, the its/their pronoun split is relatively straightforward. Since the subject of the sentence is the singular "retailer," the singular pronoun "its" is correct.

The credited response is A.

-dan

If you like it, give kudos. Thanks :)

The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand.
~Vince Lombardi

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2017, 04:41
Sameer wrote:
Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended sales slump in women's apparel, the seven-store retailer said it would start a three-month liquidation sale in all of its stores.

Responding to a pm:

Quote:
Please explain how come 'recent' is correct in modifying an adverb and not 'recently'

Also is 'has' more appropriate here than 'had' since if the problem is ended then liquidation is happening because the problem is presently being a problem not in the past

"recent" is modifying "extended sales slump", that is, a kind of sales slump. Basically, it is modifying "slump" i.e. a noun. So you will use an adjective.

Look at the skeleton of the sentence:

Reporting that ..., the seven-store retailer said ...

The main verb is "said" which is in past tense. Hence, the extended sales slump had been a problem before they reported it. So the use of past perfect is appropriate here. You will use "had".

[b]Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Re: QOTD: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 04:03

(A) its many problems had been the recent -Correct. Said is past so usage of had is correct
(B) its many problems has been the recently - Has is wrong;we need had. Recently is wrong; we need recent (adj) to modify sales.
(C) its many problems is the recently - is is wrong. Recently is wrong
(D) their many problems is the recent - their is wrong. Is is wrong.
(E) their many problems had been the recent -their is wrong

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

GMAT Club Bot
Re: QOTD: Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent &nbs [#permalink] 13 Mar 2018, 04:03

Reporting that one of its many problems had been the recent extended

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap