Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 338 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: LBS MIF '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q42 V39
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 338 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: LBS MIF '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: Retake related advice [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
I can pretty much guarantee that nobody is going to care about that AWA score. As far as the composite score goes... well, it just depends on your profile and where you're applying. If you have a whole lot of competitors in the applicant pool whose profiles are similar to yours, then you might want to push for those extra 20 points. If you're an amazing unicorn (say, an Olympian from an underrepresented group who has cured a rare form of cancer... or something), then a 730 is great.

It just depends on the context -- and maybe on whether you think you can squeeze a few more points without making your life miserable. :)

I hope this helps a little bit!

Thanks a lot GMATNinja, it has kinda cleared my dilemma regarding going for a retake.. :)
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Heseraj wrote:
GMATNinja,

I have a question regarding MGMAT Mock tests:
I so far have taken four practice tests and it seems my Quant score doesn't improve at all. I have great difficulty understanding the question stem. For quant, I got 43, 42, 42 and 37. My today's score really worries my me a lot.
My verbal score on the other hand is improving, 34, 34, 35 and 38. I know that i can do much better in Verbal, since i only been practicing with Official materials.
For quant, I managed to get 48 in my official test, but with MGMAT it seems i am off a lot.
Do you have any specific suggestion regarding quant. I know that i understand and perhaps there is nothing that i haven't been and gone through. I've kept my actual GMAC parctice Exams to take closer to my final exam in early September. In the meantime, i've not been practicing my quant from official materials while, i have all of them, Q Pack one, 2016 official plus Q and V reviews and 2018 Official Plus Q and V reviews.
How about GMAT Club test, i've taken three and willing to take the rest 23 cats until my exam. Will those help?

You're not giving me any good reason to worry about your quant, Heseraj! The MGMAT quant tests are a wonderful challenge, but the quant questions contain about twice as many words -- and probably 50% more steps -- than official questions of comparable difficulty. So if you're struggling to understand what those questions are even asking, you're not alone, and it makes sense that you'd underperform on them.

But you said the magic words:
Quote:
For quant, I managed to get 48 in my official test...

So I'm not too worried about you. On those MGMAT tests, just make sure that you're developing good habits: don't let yourself get TOO stuck on any one question, and make sure you're not making silly errors on the stuff you understand. But if you can sustain that ~48 on your GMATPreps, that's what really matters.

Everybody is different in terms of which tests they find useful, but I tend to steer people away from non-official verbal tests, just because it's so impossibly difficult for test-prep companies to make them realistic. The quant sections might not be realistic, either, but they're still good practice. It sound like you've held onto lots of good, official material for verbal, so you might not really need to do any non-official CATs for verbal.

I hope this helps, and please tag me whenever you do your debrief in September! You're clearly working your butt off, and I'm excited to see where you end up.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts